Gibson Brands Forums

What styles can you play on a SG?

Luap

Hi there.

Which styles can you play on a SG (with a decent amp of course)? Pop and rock for sure, but also blues/jazz?

Or are you really stuck to pop/rock/distorted metal with a SG?

Thank you!

...anything' date=' really[/quote']

I also think, that depending on the amp as well, you can do almost anything with any guitar. There may be first choice guitars for certain styles, but then again the best guitar for every style is the one that suites you best as a player. If it´s an SG, get one, for whatever style.

Greetings

Kurt

When I bought my '79 Walnut "The SG" in 1993 it was NOS, 14 years old still had plastic on the pickguard.

I was gigging in a working bar band in Lake Charles, La., and we were 1/2 Country, and 1/2 Southern/Classic rock.

It played bunches of Garth Brooks, Aaron Tippin, Hank Jr., ect.

The Band I'm in now, does a lot of Country.

SG's will do anything "you" can do.

When I bought my '79 Walnut "The SG" in 1993 it was NOS' date=' 14 years old still had plastic on the pickguard.

I was gigging in a working bar band in Lake Charles, La., and we were 1/2 Country, and 1/2 Southern/Classic rock.

It played bunches of Garth Brooks, Aaron Tippin, Hank Jr., ect.

The Band I'm in now, does a lot of Country.

SG's will do anything "you" can do.[/quote'] You can pretty much play anything on an SG EXCEP real country. For that, you need a Tele, or the very least, a Strat. Garth Brooks, Aaron Tippin, & Hank Jr. are NOT country. They are rock or pop. I'm a country picker/pedal steeler & I have a Custom Shop Tele,a '73 Strat, & a '61 RI, and I CANNOT do the chicken pickin',banjo rolls, or "Buck Owens style Twangin' on the SG--It just doesn't work!

The SG's versatility is underrated.

I agree.i always hear so many stating the strat is the most versatile guitar out there.i don't agree with that statement.The strat,in my opinion,doesn't pull of the humbucking sound/tone like a Gibson.I have a humbucker in the bridge of my strat and it doesn't come close to the sound of a gibson and to me,sounds like a strat no matter what you do with it

John McLaughlin plyed a SG when Mahavishnu Orchestra started... A lot of country players use it... Rockers ( all forms from 50 rock to the doors to metal... ) ... Some blues guys ( especially for slide like derek trucks, muddy waters, duane allman, mick taylor...)...

I bought it for its versatility!!

Defintely Classic Rock and Blues. I've been playing Nugent like riffs lately, I don't know how that happened! It sure is fun to play stuff like that. I play a lot of 80 style thrash, and Sabbath-like Metal too. I keep it old school 100%.

Simon P your right. The SG can get an awesome jazztone. It's all about the neck pickup. However in my experience I've never gotten a good clean tone with either tone knob at 0. It just sounds muffeled. With a little distortion the neck (or bridge) toned down get creamiest sound ever. And this is ironically exactly what Clapton did in cream.

But yeahexcellent for jazz.

You can pretty much play anything on an SG EXCEP real country. For that' date=' you need a Tele, or the very least, a Strat. Garth Brooks, Aaron Tippin, & Hank Jr. are NOT country. They are rock or pop. I'm a country picker/pedal steeler & I have a Custom Shop Tele,a '73 Strat, & a '61 RI, and I CANNOT do the chicken pickin',banjo rolls, or "Buck Owens style Twangin' on the SG--It just doesn't work![/quote']

So, when I did all that Pete Anderson, Dwight stuff back then, and the Ky Headhunters, Marty, Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash stuff, ect., I guess.....

I SHOULD JUST SEND THEM BACK THE MONEY I MADE?

That's the dumbest comment I've ever seen......

If "YOU" can't play Country with an SG that's one thing......

But, don't tell me I can't........

Because I'm booked through Jan., 2010, Pauncho.........

Sheeze..................

So' date=' when I did all that Pete Anderson, Dwight stuff back then, and the Ky Headhunters, Marty, Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash stuff, ect., I guess.....

I SHOULD JUST SEND THEM BACK THE MONEY I MADE?

That's the dumbest comment I've ever seen......

If "YOU" can't play Country with an SG that's one thing......

But, don't tell me I can't........

Because I'm booked through Jan., 2010, Pauncho.........

Sheeze..................

[/quote']

Murph, I often find your abrupt comments bordering on rude but that was classic entertainment right there.

Murph' date=' I often find your abrupt comments bordering on rude but that was classic entertainment right there.[/quote']

I'm almost legendary.

I'm pretty much semi-legendary.

Kind of an anti-legend.

#-o

Nevermind....

Archived