Gibson Brands Forums

I got an ES-339

rocketman

Got it yesterday and it sounds great!! I saw that the price went up on all the usual websites to $1,999, so I wanted to pull the trigger on one that was already in a store. The House of Guitars in Rochester gave me one for $2,200. Yep that's right $2,200, but it's a figured top, which are selling for $3,249 on all the usual websites (e.g. see here). I actually wanted to order a plain top but I was told that they only sell those through selected stores and websites (see here for the list). So it basically boiled down to getting a plain top one for $1,999 or a highly figured one (and it's really flaming!) for $200 more. Easy decision for me.

I got it in antique vintage sunburst with a 30/60 neck. Pics to follow when I stop playing it....

Congrats on one of the finest guitars built. I adore mine. Feel, tone, balance, sound, ect.

Mines a plain top vintage burst 30/60 and I love the neck.

The figured must be beautiful.....

Congrats again.

:)

Murph.

Thanks guys. Daveinspain, nice looking guitar! Murph, big thanks to you for being the one that convinced me I should try one out. That was at least 6 months ago. I took my time but in the end it was worth it.

Just spent a couple of hours with it and I agree, it's got some killer tones. I played it with a number of different amps at the HOG and other places, and I just couldn't believe at how versatile it is. Just playing with the volume knobs through a tube amp at a static setting gives a whole range of possibilities, from that warm classy sound to an all out mean punch. The 30/60 neck feels just right to me. Both my Les Pauls have 50's necks and the ES-339 30/60 neck feels closer to a 50's neck than a LP 60's neck (at least to me). The guitar itself feels well balanced and it's just right for a guy my size (5'8" and 175 lbs). Gibson really hit on a winner here IMHO. Best new product I've seen in years. I'll post pictures of it soon...

Murph' date=' big thanks to you for being the one that convinced me I should try one out. That was at least 6 months ago. I took my time but in the end it was worth it.[/quote']

Guitar Junkie and Bobv sold me. I ordered mine sight unseen. I was a few seconds from getting either a '58 Lester, or a 335. But...

I gigged a Les Paul for 14 years, and SG's, and Teles, and Strats and I wanted something different. Every hand in town has a Tele, a Strat, or a Les Paul or an SG.

I'm the biggest fan of the 339 I know. Mine works every weekend, and nothing can touch it for tone. When my Boogie is dimed, and I'm a few yards in front of it with those '57 Classics, I'm hard to handle.

Best to ya.....

Murph.

I've been Dreaming of an ES-335' date=' but I might be leaning towards one of those 339's after seeing them hanging in the music store and hearing the raves. [/quote']

Go for it! You may want to have a look at the CS 356 too though.... It's a 339 with ebony fret board, solid construction, figured top.....etc It's got a hefty price tag though.

Look here...

Archived