Gibson Brands Forums

Chrysler rocks

wicked1

Tell him to get to work...breaktime is over.

Apparently, the newest bennie from the union is he gets the night off.

Why am I sitting in the middle of this? Oh well, he's going to bed so I should have the rest of the night off as well.

He works for Fiat now.

Bwahahahahahaha.

I remember those little Fiats.

You must be proud.....

I'll go look for a Fiat, the next time I need a truck......

Bwahahahahahah..

Did I spell it right? It looks funny.....

F I A T

:-

My next purchase will be a NEW FORD.

I'm driving an '04 F150, but I bought it used. My wife has a Dodge Caravan, but when it craps out, we're going FORD.

FORD refused the bailout money.

I'm thinking FORD won't get many OBAMA contracts from now on.

It's up to us to buy a new FORD, or we may never get another chance.

Just sayin'......

Hey I used to have this little Fiat 124 Sport and I loved that car - best gas mileage of any car I've ever owned. It was great until that night I hit that fence post - my young days as a heathen and Ouzo or was it jaegermister? I can't remember.

All kidding aside, the thing that bothers me isn't so much who owns stock in what car company, but the way the dealers are being treated - especially in small towns.

The little town dealership I was brought up in until age 14 went by auction 'cuz the franchise couldn't be sold when Dad decided to go back to college. Town was too small. In those days there had been three car dealers in a town of 1,500. Today there are none.

Our Chrysler/Ford dealer here looks secure. For now. I dunno about the GM dealer in a town of 5,000 in a county of 10,000. If they pull that dealership, my guess is that it will severely wound the Chrysler/Ford dealership because without the current range of choices, folks are more likely to drive on by to the bigger towns.

Wrote a column on the situation when the Chrysler/Ford dealer dodged the bullet for the Chysler stuff.

A lot of people don't recognize the importance of those dealers in a small town and the jobs they offer - and the cash and leadership that goes back into the community.

m

I read that about 2000 dealerships are being forced to close...40,000-60,000 jobs being lost...and at least the Chrysler dealerships only have until june 9 to sell on their inventory...this will be a big hit on the national economy, and a very big hit to some small towns.

Though I don't plan on buying another car, I personally dig Fiats and would happily drive one. The new 500 is quite cool IMO, and the old 500 even nicer. My personal fav is the mid-'30s 508:

1935-fiat-508-s-mm-1.jpg

Now *that's* a car. I'd take it in a New York minute, if I ever went to New York.

My sister had a yellow 850 Sport back around 1972. I think she traded it in on a new '72 yellow Mustang. Then three Trans Ams in a row. THen she got all domesticated and bought a new '83 Regal. I, by stark contrast, always drove old junk. I will be driving to work today in my brush painted '82 Ford pickup with 300-6 and 4 speed.

When I was little I thought the Fiat logo actually read FLAT. I also pronounced Plymouth "Ply (as in plywood) Mouth (as in the facial orifice). I read much gooder now.

My sister had a yellow 850 Sport back around 1972. I think she traded it in on a new '72 yellow Mustang. Then three Trans Ams in a row. THen she got all domesticated and bought a new '83 Regal. I' date=' by stark contrast, always drove old junk. I will be driving to work today in my brush painted '82 Ford pickup with 300-6 and 4 speed.

When I was little I thought the Fiat logo actually read FLAT. I also pronounced Plymouth "Ply (as in plywood) Mouth (as in the facial orifice). I read much gooder now.[/quote']

We're proud of you Daddy.... 8-[

Hey I used to have this little Fiat 124 Sport and I loved that car - best gas mileage of any car I've ever owned. It was great until that night I hit that fence post - my young days as a heathen and Ouzo or was it jaegermister? I can't remember.

I had one - what a great car that was!!! It was one of only two non-US cars I've ever owned (and I've owned many cars).

it looked like this:

fiat124spider.jpg

I had to get rid of it though, too many speeding tickets (I told the judge I thought the I-95 sign was the speed limit)

The most dependable cars I've ever owned were one Plymouth Voyager and 2 Dodge Caravans. I'm driving a 4 cylinder Caravan today, it is the perfect vehicle to get my instruments and PA gear to the gig and back.

Notes

Owned dozens of vehicles over the years, bought many of them new.

Never owned a ChryUAWsler, now I never will.

Primarily a GM guy, I own two now and they are likely the last - new ones anyway.

Had good luck with Fords over the years, looks like my only option now if I buy new.

Especially considering the size of my "car payment" every year to Gov't Motors and ChryUAWsler.....

I mean no offense and talk based on the little experience I have, at 31, I've already owned 5 (don't ask), and am buying one for the soon to be wife. Out of my 5, 3 have been japanese (nissan) and 2 american (chevy). Those chevys were awful cars, talk about the lack of QC on USA companies nowadays. All of the nissans have been great, that's why the lady's car is going to be a nissan. My parents have owned german cars for as long as I remember and they are great, luxury cars, but you gotta be willing to pay the price for them.

My sister bought a KIA... very cheap new, I can't say I care for it tho... looks as cheap as it is, and something tells me that 10 year warranty is going to mean **** when the car just dies 1 year after having been bought.=D>

Whine as much as you guys want about the USA auto industry going down... it was a matter of time, if we are talking about cars a normal guy can buy then nothing beats a german car. Nothing. If we are talking about cheap cars that will take you from A to B and last about as long as the warranty goes, then there's no beating a korean car (they suck but they are damn cheap and people looking to save on gas and on the actual car will go for them most of the time).

Now if you are talking about quality (high quality) with extras and not a german price, there's no beating a car made in Japan.

Beg to differ. Bought a brand new 1988 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 way back when.

14,0000 miles: Muffler is completely rotted and is about to fall off.( "Sorry sir, we only a 12 month , 12,000 mile warranty." )

40,000 miles : Front steering is completely shot and has be replaced. Non greasable steering components rock!

56,000 miles ( exactly 10 days after I made the last payment on this POS): Manual transmission pukes it's guts out at 55 mph on interstate. My first and last Nissan.

My ancient 1997 S10 with 200,000 miles starts right up and goes when ya need it to.....

My ancient 1997 S10 with 200' date='000 miles starts right up and goes when ya need it to..... [/quote']

140,000 on my wife's 2003.

1111796057_2443eac5aa.jpg?v=0

Only brakes (Raybestos/Powerslot), battery (Optima) and regular oil changes (Castrol).

Add Michelin tires and you got a trouble free ride.

Factory Uniroyal tires made it 25,000 miles before they were shot.

First set of Michelins ran 100,000 miles with no trouble, just bought the second set a few months ago.

Not bad for a cheap little truck...

Beg to differ. Bought a brand new 1988 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 way back when.

14' date='0000 miles: Muffler is completely rotted and is about to fall off.( "Sorry sir, we only a 12 month , 12,000 mile warranty." )

40,000 miles : Front steering is completely shot and has be replaced. Non greasable steering components rock!

56,000 miles ( exactly 10 days after I made the last payment on this POS): Manual transmission pukes it's guts out at 55 mph on interstate. My first and last Nissan.

My ancient 1997 S10 with 200,000 miles starts right up and goes when ya need it to..... [/quote']

Wow! That is what happened to me with chevy cars (not exactly that, but almost the same, really).

Archived