Gibson Brands Forums

You OLDER guys have a song that "takes you back"?

matiac

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a little history lesson for the young ones here, I bet you never heard of Chan Romero, well the Beatles did! Chan hitchhiked to LA with a guitar and a song and a dream, he met a young producer named Sonny Bono, and just about the time the Fab Four hit the US Chan was just getting started;

If I remember correctly played the Hollywood bowl with on the same ticket with the Beatles on their first LA appearance. He is in the Hispanic Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUE5fc7eiWk[/YOUTUBE]

It brings me back to Jr High School and also those care free feelings I had when I was a child. Those feelings of no worries about bills' date=' my children, my grand children....[/quote']

Good Stuff Guitaest Another classic by Heart...

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

Well....

"Fire and Rain" came at the end of some good and not so good times with a girl named "Susan." <grin> Sweet Baby James was too late, but hit a Northern Plains kid reflecting on living in a Berkshires (USA) boarding high school.

But the real memory stuff... gotta get into the 1950s. Some jazz, Ruby Braff's trumpet on standards and actually doing the melody, Jo Stafford and "you belong to me," A lot of Doowop; the sound of a switchblade; Novelty songs... the radio or black and white television show "Hit Parade."

Never did care much for Elvis.

Sinatra "It was a very good year." Runaround Sue. Hmmmm. <grin>

"Roll in my sweet baby's arms" from college years and Malaguena Salerosa from the same era. Tom Paxton "Things I notice now" and such... Fred Neil "Blues on my ceiling." John Lee Hooker doing the flood at "Tupelo."

"Crazy." A buncha Hank Snow stuff. "When You and I were Young, Maggie." "Grandfather's Clock." Bluegrass mandolin's "Raw Hide." Hmmmm.

Hmmmm. I forgot rock. "Positively Fourth Street" was one I did in the mid '60s. Ditto "San Francisco Bay Blues" solo with mouthharp and kazoo. And always "Down and Out." A bunch Stones stuff later on. Leadbelly stuff. "Dink's Song" done by two different girlfriends in two totally different ways in the early 60s - and both reflected who they were (one was killed in a car wreck, the other supposedly joined the Navy which seemed odd in '64.)

Recent... "Beaches of Cheyenne" is a helluva metaphor, and so in a way is "Old Cheyenne" and "Old Double Diamond."

Cowboy rock? "Hooked on an eight second ride" even brings up rodeo smells from the stockpens and chutes where I tend to hang out.

Actually I was playing a lot of the 60s rock in the later 60s so... it likely brings up band images more than anything. I still like Paul Revere's "Just Like Me" and I think that longtime regional band that went national never got some of the credit it deserved.

White Rabbit for watching friends kill themselves, mostly kinda slowly, with drugs. "Somebody to Love" for the stomping rhythm. "The Letter" for whats'ername's high voice coming in on the "yeah, yeah, oh yeah..." Angel of the Morning...

Some Geoff Muldaur blues brings up big memories of a folk blues pickin' summer of '65...

<grin> Sheesh. Now you've got me started... and..... <chortle>

m

Given that it's all guitar, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Duane Eddy or the Ventures.

Or ... Remember Sandy Nelson's drum-heavy stuff?

Hmmmmm.

<chortle out loud>

As for Chuck Berry... Johnny B. Good. Emphatically.

Blue Moon - the song that started so many after or outside the dance fights? <chuckle>

There's a moon out tonight...

The neat stuff about so much of the 50s was that you could sing it.

How about every teen girl I knew pounding out the late 30s Larry Clinton thing "Heart and Soul?" Then there was my little sister singing "Unchained Melody" in the 50s until I hated the thing. Now I play it. Hmmmm. Well, she ain't 12 any more, either.

Novelty songs: "Seven little girls sittin' in the back seat," "Purple People Eater," "The Chipmonk song..."

m

1. Please Mr. Custer--I don't want to go..

2. You load 16 tons and what do you get?

3. I found my thrill, on blueberry hill.

4. In 1814 we took a little trip.

5. Here I sit high, and getting ideas, no one but a fool would live like this.

6. Teen Angel, can you hear me?

7. Trailers for sale or rent, rooms to let 50 cents.

8. Smoke smoke smoke that cigarette, smoke smoke smoke until you smoke yourself to death.

9. Ev'ry mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive, He stood six foot six and weighed two forty five

10. A white sport coat and pink carnation.

Jax...

Then you remember "Tell Laura I love her?" <chuckle>

Lonely Bull?

Hmmmmm.

Lotza good stuff.

As for "Please Mr. Custer," I useta live near Ft. Phil K. in Wyoming and not far from the Little Big Horn. Every time I walked Fetterman's ridge I thought of that song. <grin> "Texas Rangers" is another song that the hill brought to mind.

As for Battle of New Orleans, how 'bout "Tennessee Stud" by the same guy. I actually got to meet James Corbitt Morris - better known as Jimmy Driftwood...

And his homemade guitar.

m

3. I found my thrill' date=' on blueberry hill.

8. Smoke smoke smoke that cigarette, smoke smoke smoke until you smoke yourself to death.

9. Ev'ry mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive, He stood six foot six and weighed two forty five

[/quote']

Jaxson, I LOVE your choices....every single one of them "Takes me back"!!

Bob

3. I found my thrill' date=' on blueberry hill.

[/quote']

That's takin' me back. The 70's is not "back", but the 50's are.

Guy's it does my heart good to know there are other vintage folks whose memory cells still function!!

In 1957 I was six years old, my brother was 14 and already a guitar picker, after school before mom and dad got home from work we would watch American Bandstand and along with my older sister and other kids from the neiborhood would just have a blast. My brother and I shared a bedroom in which we had a old Motorola radio, you know what I talking about, bigger then a TV set now, a huge wood shell with something like 20 bands-shortwave and longwave bands- we could pull in Cuba and Berlin!

Late at night we would work the dial and pick up radio stations from anywhere to find rock n roll! Ah those were the good old days.

I lost my brother on July 23 this year. It's really bringing back some great memori

Jax...

Then you remember "Tell Laura I love her?" <chuckle>

Lonely Bull?

Hmmmmm.

Lotza good stuff.

As for "Please Mr. Custer' date='" I useta live near Ft. Phil K. in Wyoming and not far from the Little Big Horn. Every time I walked Fetterman's ridge I thought of that song. <grin> "Texas Rangers" is another song that the hill brought to mind.

As for Battle of New Orleans, how 'bout "Tennessee Stud" by the same guy. I actually got to meet James Corbitt Morris - better known as Jimmy Driftwood...

And his homemade guitar.

m

[/quote']

Marty Robbins is one of my all time favorites! Big Iron, El Paso, Devil Woman it just doesn't get any better. One of my favorite cd's is Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs.

But Marty started out as a rocker, toured with Elvis and Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis, and in a 1961 recording session that his guitar player Grady Martin accidentally invented the Fuzz unit and recorded the first song with a fuzz sustain effect.

LOL....we STILL play all these songs!

CB

CB... I'm not in a band' date=' but I play those songs all the time as well.

Jaxson50.... +1 especially for the Battle of New Orleans.(Johnny Horton)..

Others that would be on the list..

Sea Cruise - Frankie Ford.

Anything by Buddy Holly,The Coasters, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Del Shannon, Johnny Cash...

And Then....

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1c4QZGQw5o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived