Gibson Brands Forums

PRS 305

Thundergod

Sorry, not me. When I was younger I wanted a PRS so badly. They look like works of art. Then I played one. Just did not feel right. Same with Ibanez guitars. Have yet to play one that I liked, especially the Gem like ones with the wide string spacing.

I have a PRS Custom 24, and I love it!

Couple friends of mine have been gigging with them for a solid decade.

They leave all the Les Pauls and Strats at home because they don't need 'em anymore to nail various tones.

3377556066_ed2213ce88.jpg

Now, here's where the ugly truth comes in.

As great as they are, they still DO NOT replace anything else I own.

I actually don't play mine as much as I thought I would.

I keep telling people - when I want a Les Paul sound, I grab a Les Paul.

When I want a Strat/Tele sound, I grab a Strat or a Tele.

Is the PRS well-made?

Absolutely.

Are they great players?

God yes.

Are they beautiful?

Stunning.

For the same price, get a pair of killer Fenders like an American Standard Strat and an Ash or Deluxe Tele.

I would dare say you will have as much fun finding classic single coil tones that way.

Of course, PRS builds a damned fine guitar, so I dunno, but that one doesn't move me.

Now the Hollowbody II, the Archtop, anything they built with P-90's - different story altogether....

While I can concur that PRS have fabulous build/action, they just dont do it aesthetically for me. Its probably one of the hardest conceptual ideas in the world - to design a modern guitar, given what they have to follow - and while they have done an admirable job, no amount of AAA maple cap will compensate.

Sorry guys but look at Custom Shop Strat prices.

Who in their right mind would pay more than $1,000 for a bolt on neck?

At least this PRS has a proper neck joint...not to mention the quality and tone of a PRS is better.

Just sayin...

It already drives me nuts how people compare PRS guitars to Les Pauls or Strats and just because this 305 has 3 single coils, doesn't make it a Strat. By that logic, anything I see with two humbuckers is trying to copy a Les Paul. It's the familiar PRS body shape with three single coils, that's all. No, I'm not a PRS convert/defender but the way people compare them to other guitars is retarded.

Thunder, I was browsing youtube and came across these. Thought I'd post them for you.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

They start playing this one 2 minutes in.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived