Gibson Brands Forums

What's the name of this guitar part..? Please help!!!

peteros

Hi - I have a J200 - and LOVE IT.

I need a new part however. What do you call the little cream coloured rod that the strings rest on at the jumbo end of the guitar? (I dont know how else to describe it!).

Unfortunately I (being an idiot) filed this thing down to lower the action, but I overdid it, and now one of the strings buzzes when it's played open. So a need a new thingummyjig.

Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing? In UK or US?

thanks to all you Gibson wizards out there.

Thanks Grampa - I've just lookjed up saddle on some sites - and you are dead right.

I now need a new saddle! Unfortunately I cant find one on the Gibson store web site.

Any ideas where to get a replacement saddle for a j200?

Peteros

Try either guitarsaddles.com or www.stewmac.com believe both have saddles in different materials pre-cut for J200. What type of saddle material can bring an onset of a lively discussion.

For now you can shim the saddle using a piece of brass shim stock - local auto parts store should have some. Just cut it to fit between the bridge and saddle. Would recommend 5 thou thickness for the shim.

Fred

Saddles come in many shapes and sizes - and materials, including bone, legal ivory and even fossilized walrus johnsons.

I got a replacement for my SJ200 from Mr. Colosi. It came in a couple of days, very slightly oversized so I could SLOWLY file it down on the bottom part for height and a little on the edges. You'll need to keep the one you've got now and know where you went wrong and every 3 or 4 passes on the 600 grit sandpaper - measure it up alongside to make sure you're correcting the error of your past ways. G'Luck!

Like my best friend's mechanic, dad was given to say when we tried working on our own cars, "You shouldn't ought t' be messin' with somethin' you don't know nuthin' about."... or was he talkin' about women? [cursing]

The wood part that is glued to the soundboard between the sound hole and the button end (where the widgit that you put that belt thingy that holds the whole afair up) is called a bridge. it has 6 or 12 holes in it for bridge pins to hold the strings in place. There is a slot in the bridge, between the bridge pin holes and the sound hole. That holds the saddle, which it appears you have reshaped. It is replaceable and not that expensive. The local guit tar shop should have a whole drawer full of them. Make sure it is the right thickness. Take the old one with to compare.... that and the guit tar tech in the back needs a good chuckle. [crying]

BEFORE you begin the work, spend some time on Frank Ford's pages. This one talks about saddles, in particular.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Saddle/saddle01.html

Oh, and by the way, the saddle should NOT be glued in place. Just a snug fit in the bridge, that's all.

Peteros, this may help.

Give Robbie Gladwell as call aka Dr Robert. I have no financial interest in his business; he's a good mate of mine. He has a large Gibson collection and has had years of experience repairing and setting up Gibsons

His workshop is in Bulmer on the Essex/Suffolk border.

Hope this helps.

http://robbiegladwell.com/Default.aspx

Peteros' date=' this may help.

Give Robbie Gladwell as call aka Dr Robert. I have no financial interest in his business; he's a good mate of mine. He has a large Gibson collection and has had years of experience repairing and setting up Gibsons

His workshop is in Bulmer on the Essex/Suffolk border.

Hope this helps.

http://robbiegladwell.com/Default.aspx[/quote']

With AJ here Peteros.

Robbies had all three of my acoustics and my ES335 though his hands and they have all come back substanially better.

John

I'm overwhelmed!

This was my first ever posting, and I hardly expected a response back at all - on such a topic. I didn't realise saddles could generate so much interest. But let me tell you - I am REALLY grateful to all of you that have replied so knowledgeably and helpfully (even the sarcastically jokey ones).

I now know what these gizmos are called, and that I shouldnt have filed it down as much as I did. I know who to contact. I'm a happy bunny.

One last thing, when I filed the saddle down, I now realise I didn't do evenly, which meant my 'under-saddle pickup' stopped picking up the sound from the strings evenly, which meant the amplified sound is unsatisfactory. Lesson to be learned - it may look simple - but gibsons are carefully crafted and not to be messed around with.

Cheers - Peteros

Many lessons learned!

You have to be careful with the word "saddle " in this room.....a lot of forumites use saddles as' date=' say........um....... paraphernalia, so to speak, so better use the words "guitar saddle" as to not confuse folks....[/quote']

Hey Wily, you haven't been on that other forum again, have you?

Think of your eyesight mate.

Archived