Gibson Brands Forums

Relationship between weight and sound quality, what do think about?

raine

Today I weighed my Les Paul guitar that's what emerges..

Les Paul Custom 9.7lbs. Solid Body.

Les Paul Custom Blackwidow 7.7lbs Chambered Body.

Les Paul Dark Fire 8.6lbs Chambered body bridging by electronic.

Les Paul Studio 8.6lbs Wieght-relief body (9 holes).

For information my Sg 7.5lbs!!!

While the "Chambered or weight-relief" the lightest and most pleasant for a long set.

Despite their handicap weight of the "solid" have more sustain and better sound...

What do you think of the relationship between weight and sound quality?

And what do you prefer?

I think it depends more on the indiviual guitar than it does on the weight. My longest sustain is on my SG which is my lightest guitar. The only way to really tell would be to make two guitars from the same piece of wood - one relieved and one solid and compare - then do that for about 50 more pairs and you might have an answer. FWIW, my #1 is also my heaviest and it's an Am Dlx strat that weighs in at a little over 10lbs.

Therefore I speak only Les Paul guitar that remains of similar.

While according to the Wood models differs.

But two high-end. Two Les Paul Custom solid and chambered with the same wood. There necessarily influence...

While I think mass and weight do alter sound/tonal qualities, I don't find them to be a factor when I'm buying a guitar. I do preffer heavey guitars but because of the feel of them, not the tone, they feel like they are the real thing, like they are true guitars for men, not toys.

But, as I said before, there's nothing tone related into it for me... it all depends on how you use them and how you set them, I have a friend that swears his double fat strat sounds exactly like my les paul... I don't think so, but if that's what he thinks and it makes him happy, good for him.

Yet the difference between a solid body and hollow body is that it is widening ...

Between a Les Paul solid and chambered there is a difference of 1 / 4 the weight ... the sound must propagate differently in the instrument and thus affect the sound output.

Otherwise there would be no difference between the different models right?

And in case we are not far from saying that putting two burstbuckers a stratocaster we would get a Gibson ...

And This is obviously false!

Yes I try it

it's an image!!!

there are diffrence between Hollow and solid body.

So a les paul chambered have certainly an other sound than a Les paul solid.

For example my Les paul studio have a sound very different than my les paul custom, but it's the same pickup and same form.

La quality of wood change bute wieght too.

... there are diffrence between Hollow and solid body. So a les paul chambered have certainly an other sound than a Les paul solid. ...

Are you talking about weight differences' date=' or chambered vs solid, or both? I thought it was weight.

The weight of the guitar can have an effect, but it's more about the distribution of the weight around the body and neck.

This comparison should only be made for guitars made of the same species, made in the same way/shape.

The hardness and density of the wood is what most builders would look at in terms of sound/tone qualities.

Then there's the age of the trees cut down to produce the wood, as well as where the trees are growing (stable environment - rainfall, temperature extremes). These days, it's difficult for find "old growth" trees (more desirable), as opposed to 20-30 year specimens harvested from regrown clear cuts.

For me, I don't think about the weight when buying, unless the guitar weighs a ton - can't handle that.

I think it depends more on the indiviual guitar than it does on the weight. ...

+1 . . . . . . (Due to each specimen's individual differences in hardness/density)

I think technically we should refer to the solid as more solid or less weight relieved. Look at a 'solid' les paul and there are cavities for the pickups, the back cavity for the electronics, and trenches for the selector switch and the input jack. Look at the exrays of the solids posted somewhere on here and you'll see alot of non solid areas.

A few drinks and it being past midnight make me not worry about being flamed so much :) , but I don't think c.90 percent of Gibson customers know what they are buying anyway.

I think if you got 30 people and gave them all an Epiphone Les Paul Std, with a fake Gibson logo, and the other superficial appointments, only a few would recognise that they were not playing the right instrument.

Matt

A few drinks and it being past midnight make me not worry about being flamed so much :) ' date=' but I don't think c.90 percent of Gibson customers know what they are buying anyway.

Matt[/quote']

I'd go a step further and opine that a large number of 'em would pay thousands extra if it had a really shiny buff job...

A few drinks and it being past midnight make me not worry about being flamed so much [biggrin] ' date=' but I don't think c.90 percent of Gibson customers know what they are buying anyway.

I think if you got 30 people and gave them all an Epiphone Les Paul Std, with a fake Gibson logo, and the other superficial appointments, only a few would recognise that they were not playing the right instrument.

Matt[/quote']

So true... I've said that before and got flamed by some friends that think they know everything about everything :-

I'd go a step further and opine that a large number of 'em would pay thousands extra if it had a really shiny buff job...

[biggrin]

My Sonex weighs a lot more than either of my Les Pauls. As far as tone it doesn't come close to producing the warm sound of a Les Paul. To me the best test is to play a guitar through an amp that is just a touch overdriven. The key for me is to use the neck pickup only. I just love the sound of a Les Paul in that mode.

A few drinks and it being past midnight make me not worry about being flamed so much :- ' date=' but I don't think c.90 percent of Gibson customers know what they are buying anyway.

Matt[/quote']

Having played a BUNCH of Epi's AND Gibsons when shopping for mine, I'd take that challenge. I have played exactly 1 Epi that felt like a Gibson.

Now.... put a Gibson neck on a Epi body and I'm probably screwed... but the necks, specifically the fretboards, are glaringly different. Go sober up, Forum of the Month dude and regain your suave British composure =P~

For the OP, I have to go with it depends on the individual instrument. Even guitars cut from the same tree will have different characteristics. I have played some pretty dead examples of both solid and chambered [biggrin].

Having played a BUNCH of Epi's AND Gibsons when shopping for mine' date=' I'd take that challenge. I have played exactly 1 Epi that felt like a Gibson.

Now.... put a Gibson neck on a Epi body and I'm probably screwed... but the necks, specifically the fretboards, are glaringly different. Go sober up, Forum of the Month dude[/quote']

He was hammered and was still right!

I know that what I'm about to say is off the topic but I do love the look of your Les Paul ChanMan.

Back on the topic this is a '74 LP Custom made by Gibson when Norlin the furniture maker took over and man this is a back breaker but has great sustain and really good tone.

DSC_0049.jpg

Having played a BUNCH of Epi's AND Gibsons when shopping for mine' date=' I'd take that challenge. I have played exactly 1 Epi that felt like a Gibson.

Now.... put a Gibson neck on a Epi body and I'm probably screwed... but the necks, specifically the fretboards, are glaringly different. Go sober up, Forum of the Month dude and regain your suave British composure :D

For the OP, I have to go with it depends on the individual instrument. Even guitars cut from the same tree will have different characteristics. I have played some pretty dead examples of both solid and chambered :).[/quote']

A dry mouthed and shakey handed forum member of the month writing now [blush][biggrin]

I did say 90 percent, Chan old chap (I thought I would ham up the British stereotype and speak like James Bond's Q)

You old boy are the 10 percent clearly

Matt

A dry mouthed and shakey handed forum member of the month writing now [biggrin] :D

I did say 90 percent' date=' Chan old chap (I thought I would ham up the British stereotype and speak like James Bond's Q)

You old boy are the 10 percent clearly

Matt

[/quote']

Sorry sir... I'll speak quietly [blush] Notice I didn't disagree... just said I could tell /chuckle

Nice Brittish accent!!

While the "Chambered or weight-relief" the lightest and most pleasant for a long set.

Despite their handicap weight of the "solid" have more sustain and better sound...

What do you think of the relationship between weight and sound quality?

And what do you prefer?

What is the "better" sound? Perhaps a stupid question, but what do you define as better sound?

And please correct me when I`m wrong... but "sustain" means that the strings can swing longer. Does the weight make them swing longer or is it the hardness of the wood? And how much does the wood swing at all in a solid body guitar? Is it clearly recognizable compared to the sound of the strings? (What do the pickups pick up? The swinging strings or (also) the "swinging" body?)

And I guess the strings itself have different charakteristics depending on thickness, material and build...

Interesting question though... probably again a question about personal taste... I rather like a warm, natural sound...

Ok I'm gonna go real off topic for a moment... sorry..

I was just looking at Clayton's LP and it reminded me of something that I've always thought about old Gibsons.

Ok.. does anyone else notice that the pickup covers on old Gibsons seem to have much more rounded corners than they do now?

Archived