Gibson Brands Forums

Amps

SG dude

So i was just wondering.......... what kind of amps you use most / prefer? ie either a head and cab(s) or a combo. I had always thought i was a head and cab guy, but ive been playing through combos (and really really lovin it) a lot lately, so what about you guys? maybe its just the practicality that comes with using a combo, but hey, I'm needin' some readin' [biggrin]

I prefer an open back combo. I played a Marshall JCM900, 4100 (EL34) half stack for nearly a decade. It sounded fine if you were in front of it about 3 to 15 feet. When I got a cordless rig and stepped out I couldn't believe my ears.

Plus, drummers can't hear a closed cab, so you need to mike even a dinky club, ect.

To me, combos, or at least open back cabs sound better.

If I went back to a head, I'd use an open back cab.

I like using heads. I have a Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Deuce head that I use for everything. If I'm giging with a rock/metal band I use it with a Mesa Recto 4x12, if I'm playing with some friends at a little blues club I use it with a Orange 2x12. I just like the head format. I just recently got a AC30 combo that I'm really enjoying, but I wont gig it out. I'll get a AC30 Head to use with the Orange for the blues shows. I just think that speakers can change your preamps sound A LOT and if you have one or two speakers in the same box as you preamp then you will never get to know what your amp will sound like with different speakers unless you replace them. I like adding/changing new cabs and getting new tones from my amp. To me the old days of heads=useless power are gone. You can get a Vox head that will only run 1/4 of a watt power.

i prefer using heads and cabs but i enjoy using combos too. i usually use my Marshall vintage-modern stack but

its so hard to move around, especially when you're jamming everywhere all the time with your friends, so i use my Marshall MG30DFX for getting around and playin wherever.

Combo's now, mostly. Mine happen to all be "Fenders" (Blues Junior, Hot Rod Deluxe, Twin Reverb),

but there are a lot of other fine ones, out there. I've been through the Dual Showmans (Great Amp!),

and the Marshall Stacks and 1/2 Stacks. But, I love to be able to carry my guitar in one hand, and my

amp, in the other...more often than not, anymore. (Ok, the Twin takes two hands!) ;>)

CB

Head and Cabs.

I´m a Marshallfan.

I´ve got my Cabs since 1980 (1935a Bass) and 1992 (1961b Lead) and just got me new Heads whenever I wanted a change or improvement in sound or versatility. I like my cabs the way they are, but the amps got much better since the 1980s. That´s why I prefer a system that allows me to change the amp only, while keeping my beloved speakers.

Greetings

Kurt

I'm a fan of an amp head and speaker cab. I like the bigger sound I can get with a 4X12.

A lot of the people that I jam with suffer from a condition called "IdontknowhowloudIamitis". [biggrin]

-The 4X12 helps to keep me from getting drowned out when I jam with those cats. I have a 5150 head now that I use for gigs now. I'm trying to find a Sovtek Mig 50 head for something a little different.

Head and cab guy all the way. For me, it is greater versatility. For most gigs I can run my Silvertone 1484 head through its 2x12 cab (it's not a very loud amp even with this setup). If I need to pair down I have a 1x12 with a Carvin British series speaker in it.

i prefer using a head and cab combo since for one it seems lighter, but you need to carry 2 parts so a combo could be better.

but i just brought a Marshall DSL50 head and 1936 2x12 cab has been good so far for the bedroom use, just about to take it down for a soundcheck for the battle of the bands im playing on saturday, so will come back with more feedback afterwards

So i was just wondering.......... what kind of amps you use most / prefer? ie either a head and cab(s) or a combo. I had always thought i was a head and cab guy' date=' but ive been playing through combos (and really really lovin it) a lot lately, so what about you guys? maybe its just the practicality that comes with using a combo, but hey, I'm needin' some readin' [cool']

Well, I've use a lot of different amps, from Vox's(obviously), to Fenders. However, after lugging stuff around I was trying to find another option. I ended up with a Roland Cube 80X. Don't laugh until you try one. These things are so versatile and easy to use, it just seems stupid to haul around anything else unless it's a big venue! Oh, and did I say that they sound really damn good!?

V

www.glenmckenzieroadkings.com

Archived