Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings on Your Gibson Acoustic(s)?

Greg Ferguson

I'm sure this subject has been discussed before, but I was wondering what stings others have on their Gibson acoustic guitar(s).

I have D'addario EXP-16s on my Gibsons, except for the Dove, and I have EXP-17s on it. I settled in on D'addario years ago and never felt the need to change. But times change and so do strings. Thought I might experiment some for my next string changes. Anyway, just curious what everyone else plays. Such an important part of the sound.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
D'Addario EJ17s (PB Mediums).

Coated strings are so popular' date=' but they sound dead to me. Is my ear broked?[/quote']

I felt the same way about coated strings for years. I really disliked them when I owned Martins.

But, the Nano Elixirs just sing on my Gibson J45 TV that I have had for about 9 months. I corrode strings pretty quickly, so I'm really glad these sound so good on the J45. I think the newer plain strings -- with rust prevention -- work well. I use them on my resonator and mandola too.

It's kind of nice to have settled on a set. I used to try just about every new string that came out. Before I went to Elixirs, my favorite was the D'Addario set you use. Available everywhere and a very good sounding string time after time.

don't use strings anymore. Easier to keep fretboard covered in Crisco.

edit: 11/18 10:50 hrs

Sorry, for my post. Because there are so many string posts that bore at least one particular new poster, I attempted humor. Gibson J-200.

I've been trying out some different string lately.

My SWD has Martin's Clapton's Choice. They seem to sound better on Rosewood guitars then Mahogany or Maple.

My J-45TV has Red Brand copper/bronze. They claim to have the highest amount of copper content of any string, producing more volume and a warmer tone but I can't hear it.

My J-45 Custom has D'addario EJ16s. Those are my standard go to strings, I find D'addario to the most consistant strings in sound and quality out there.

My SJ-200MC has Martin SP Marquis. I find these to be a little too thin and "twangy" sounding to be used on a Maple guitar but I did like them on my J-45 Custom.

Guess I'm an unfaithful stringer. These days the 200 is strung with RotoSound Jumbo Kings, which I do like very much, but I sometimes use Pearse PBs since they are available locally. I have tried DR Sunbeams and will again.....the jury is still out on these round core strings. But of late I have been ignoring my guitar.....I guess it's been at least three weeks since I even opened the case, maybe a month. Just not in the mood......a big part of the reason I left the last band I was in.........sometimes I'm just not into it at all.

Guess I'm an unfaithful stringer. These days the 200 is strung with RotoSound Jumbo Kings' date=' which I do like very much, but I sometimes use Pearse PBs since they are available locally. I have tried DR Sunbeams and will again.....the jury is still out on these round core strings. But of late I have been ignoring my guitar.....I guess it's been at least three weeks since I even opened the case, maybe a month. Just not in the mood......a big part of the reason I left the last band I was in.........sometimes I'm just not into it at all.

[/quote']

if i ever own a Super Jumbo, that will be the one.

nice guitar.

Anyone got views on Rotosound Country Gold(Super Bronze)?

The 'piano-string' design interests me much......

Matt

in my experience, they sound fine and lower the action of your guitar a little by virtue of their design, but the thin 'piano wire' section that rests on the bridge saddle tends to cut into the saddle after a few months of use, necessitating a new saddle.

If you're interested in exploring the Rotosound range, try their 'Jumbo King' 12-54s. They sound tremendous on my SJ200, and tend to be very warm sounding, they knock off just enough of the Maple zing of the SJ200 to sound great right out of the box, as opposed to D'Addarios which sound luscious on my Hummingbird when new, but tend to need a couple of hours' play-in time on my '200 to sound as rich as I'd like.

Experimenting with strings is one of the most fun guitar customisation activities...cheap,too!

I recently tried D'Addario 85:15 Bronze 12s on all my guitars, sounded shrill on my '200, great on my 'Bird (though not as nice as EJ16s) and absolutely appaling on my Guild.

I would like to try some Newtones, John Pearse and Thomastik next...although I can't afford to get hooked on boutique strings!!

in my experience' date=' they sound fine and lower the action of your guitar a little by virtue of their design, but the thin 'piano wire' section that rests on the bridge saddle tends to cut into the saddle after a few months of use, necessitating a new saddle.

If you're interested in exploring the Rotosound range, try their 'Jumbo King' 12-54s. They sound tremendous on my SJ200, and tend to be very warm sounding, they knock off just enough of the Maple zing of the SJ200 to sound great right out of the box, as opposed to D'Addarios which sound luscious on my Hummingbird when new, but tend to need a couple of hours' play-in time on my '200 to sound as rich as I'd like.

Experimenting with strings is one of the most fun guitar customisation activities...cheap,too!

I recently tried D'Addario 85:15 Bronze 12s on all my guitars, sounded shrill on my '200, great on my 'Bird (though not as nice as EJ16s) and absolutely appaling on my Guild.

I would like to try some Newtones, John Pearse and Thomastik next...although I can't afford to get hooked on boutique strings!! [/quote']

That's why I take part in this forum.

No way to obtain an info like this info in Bulgaria.

Thanks Jinder.

Nobody here in Bulgaria knows things like this.

Now I know that - I know what you meen - thank You Jinder.

And thanks to all of you guis.

Archived