Gibson Brands Forums

"Your" Signature Tone !!!

AXE®

I plug directly into a tube amp with no effects.

Marshall JCM 800 if I wanna shake the walls for a little therapy.

Usually play thru a Fender Hot Rod DeVille or Blues Junior, with a touch of reverb and a little gain.

Don't like shrill or processed-sounding signals.

Think AC/DC rhythm parts.

I have a number of guitars for different sounds but my amps are pretty much left at one setting.

Now and then I switch to clean or more drive channels, but the tone and volume on the guitar are the only controls I use regularly.

Wow. Excellent thread!

Tim A said it best in the Fender Bashing thread... I play to sound like me. I likely always will flavor everything I do with some "ChanMan".

Ok... I admit it. I suck at other people's stuff, so I have to play it my way ROFL!

As for my "tone":

I guess like everyone else, I hear songs in my head. Sometimes complete songs with lyrics... sometimes just pieces parts. Virtually every time I play, I "hear" a new riff/lick/song or 2... or 3. My challenge (curse?) is to get what is in my head out of my guitar. So I have to account for whatever tone my inner muse delivers. In general, though.....

Guitars:

Just the LP, given the forum:

'07 LP Std : Bridge: volume at 8, tone between 6 and 8, depending on what I am trying to play. I tend to leave the neck volume at around 5 and the tone at 8. It gives a nice volume cut and really thick, growling bluesy tone. I've had my LP less than a month, but that is what I am doing with it now O:)

Pedals:

The only thing I can say for certain is the Boss MT-2 will be on! I have found a really nice setting that gives me great tone off both of my guitars ( Level at 2:00, Lows and highs at 3:00 , p-eq lows all left and highs at about 10:00 or 11:00... distort to taste) My board is incredibly versatile... so I can go anywhere that little muse in my head takes me.

Amps:

I use a 15 watt Marshall and a 40 watt Eden/Nemesis bass amp to add the missing bottom end.

Marshall MG 15 DFX: no more than mid for the Bass... and the mids are either scooped or punched in to between 12 and 3:00 depending on what I am going for, and the highs either at 3:00 or maxed, same reason.

Nemesis N-8: GREAT 40 watt bass amp. Depending on what I am trying to achieve, the N-8 has a good sound with the EQ flat. I can get a wide variance with little tweaks on the EQ... but I like scooping it. Boost the highs just a notch and leave the lows flat and cut the mids entirely.

The amps are stacked vertically, N-8 low and Marshall high. I then use the volumes on the amps to mix the lows and highs.

Sounds freakin' awesome.... in my living room O:). At least my wife, dog and cat think so.....

I like lots of gain, but not too much. Not fuzzy, fizzy, or muddy at all. It has to be tight, punchy and dynamic. Just enough low end to give it some thump, but not too much as to get in the way of the bass guitar or kick drum. Lots of mid range to make it really cut through a mix. No harsh highs.

For cleans I like to have a little dirt, so that if I hit the strings hard it breaks up slightly. I absolutely love a P-90 in the neck on a Les Paul for cleans. Nice and round yet with that single coil edge.

I love tube amps but I'm not by any means a tube snob. I've been able to coax great sounds out of digital and solid state too.

Umm..... well, when I play my blues I use overdrive, but only have the gain on about 2 or 3. I also put my pickup selector into the middle position and turn both tone knobs (on my guitar) down to 0. Then I get my blues tone.

When I play rock I put on overdrive and I keep the gain in between 3-6, depending upon how dirty of a tone I'm after. When I have the gain on 3-4 I'm usually doing lead stuff and individual notes, so I have my pickup selector set to treble and on my guitar the tone is set on 10 for both tone knobs and the treble volume 10 and the rhythm volume 6. If I have the gain on from 5-6, I usually am using my rhythm pickup and I keep all of my guitar's knobs on 10.

When I play clean, well, I keep it clean, and put the gain on 0 and all of my guitar's knobs are set to 10.

This sounds good to me, and I'm buying a new amp soon, so it will probably sound even better. O:)

I can't say that I have a signature tone. I'm always fiddling with the volume and tone knobs on both my guitar and amp trying to find a sound to fit whatever mood I'm in at the time. I'm actually not very good with effects and settings.

I try (but am not always successful) to use my two hands to achieve whatever tone I want. Example, I might strum up instead of down. Or use fingers instead of a pick, or even hit the strings further up toward the neck to give it a more bell like tone. That's my favorite aspect of the guitar. You can play the same notes and chords in an infinite number of ways to created totally different tones.

I can't say that I have a signature tone. I'm always fiddling with the volume and tone knobs on both my guitar and amp trying to find a sound to fit whatever mood I'm in at the time.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Not so much on the amp, but the guitar's tone knobs don't stay in one position for very long.

Lately, I find myself using the neck pup with the tone around 0 more & more and just running through pentatonic licks with heavy distortion. Sounds really...what's the word I'm looking for..............ballsy!

Lately' date=' I find myself using the neck pup with the tone around 0 more & more and just running through pentatonic licks with heavy distortion. Sounds really...what's the word I'm looking for..............ballsy![/quote']

I think that's what Clapton called the "woman" tone? It sounds great with single notes. Not so great for chords or double stops though.

I think that's what Clapton called the "woman" tone? It sounds great with single notes. Not so great for chords or double stops though.

Yeah, I use the woman tone for my blues. You can also get it by setting it to the middle position on your pickup selector and bringing both tone knobs down to 0. I'm a Clapton fan, so I like how it sounds, and I use it for alot of my blues stuff.

I find lately (with blues & classic rock) I've been keeping the bass & mids up on the amp, with the trebs backed off to about 4 (clean) and 3 (overdriven). That helps cut the shrillness from the 496/500Ts in my Classic until can swop them out for something closer to PAFs. I don't generally push the gain over 4 in these genres on the amp. Got a habit of starting off with the volume & tone on the neck pushed all the way (on the Classic anyway, otherwise it can get a bit muddy for clean stuff). I play around a lot with the bridge tone, but pushing it all to 10 lets you cut through in a big way for the right kind of solos.

Gear? Marshall DSL401 (40W tube combo) & 2001 Les Paul Classic. Other bits being added slowly due to an international relocation.

The tone I'm after is the classic Les Paul into Marshall hardrock sound.

Vandenberg, Thunder... Dave Colwell's tone on the last Bad Company live DVD is a prime example.

I get pretty close by playing a Les Paul through a Marshall. Who'd have suspected it could be that easy?=D>/

Twang, I never knew that I did it, until I started playing alot of the Chili's (because you play their songs in clean channels) I ALWAYS hit the Low E string when I play powerchords on the A String (you use the root note finger to mute the E string, when you hit the E string, you get an awesome twang!) Usually a fair bit of distortion...

Overdrive = 5

Low = 6 1/2

Mid = 7

High = 10

...Through a Peavey Solo 15watter. Usually 10 10 for Volume and Tone on mah Epi Junior Lolz. Yeah, my tone is just that sweet twang with mid high lows and mids.

I like lots of gain' date=' but not too much. Not fuzzy, fizzy, or muddy at all. It has to be tight, punchy and dynamic. Just enough low end to give it some thump, but not too much as to get in the way of the bass guitar or kick drum. Lots of mid range to make it really cut through a mix. No harsh highs.

For cleans I like to have a little dirt, so that if I hit the strings hard it breaks up slightly. I absolutely love a P-90 in the neck on a Les Paul for cleans. Nice and round yet with that single coil edge.

I love tube amps but I'm not by any means a tube snob. I've been able to coax great sounds out of digital and solid state too.[/quote']

I'd write something, but warren just described exactly what I go for.

Man I dunno. Generally I can make the the sound guy complain with nothing but a Deluxe Reverb, so maybe mid-rangey?

With some vocal quality? Like somebody yelling, or shouting. Plenty of pick attack and sustain. I love my Explorer with Antiquities....

Archived