Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson custom shop guitars vs. gibson USA guitars

nitro

My question is,are the Gibson custom shop Les Pauls(58-59) more of a marketing-hype thing vs the Gibson USA Les Pauls(traditional-standard),i know all the stats of each of them but is it really worth that extra money for a custom shop vs. Gibson usa,both(custom shop and USA)make quality Les Pauls,your thoughts........[confused]

imo, yes its worth it. at least for the R7/R8s, which can be had new for under $3k if you know where to look (and around $2k used!) the real question is the upcharge for the flametop on the R9/R0.....

i was very skeptical, but after playing several Historics I came to like them better. Nothing wrong with USA LPs; i've played plenty i thought were awesome. I just like Historics better.

For many $2,500- 3,000+ for an electric guitar isnt "dirt cheap"

I judge each individual guitar on sound and playability rather than saying an entire series is better or worse than another series. If you find a guitar that you love, thats all that matters.

When I bought my standard USA, I chose it because it was my fav out of the dozen LPs that they had in the store, including an R8. It actually came down to the R8 or the blonde, but I didnt want to drop that much cash on a guitar that would need a pup swap right away.

For many $2' date='500- 3,000+ for an electric guitar isnt "dirt cheap"[/quote']

Several of them have sold for around $1,700. That's dirt cheap for what it is...and at these prices, why would anyone buy a Trad or Standard over a used R7/R8?

An R8 needs a pup swap right away but a Studio doesn't? That's interesting...

It is worth the money when you think about it. Custom Shop's are of finer Quality than regular Usa's. Not to say the quality is bad though. They put much more work and effort into Custom's, Ecspecially the Reissues because they have to be historically accurate. I have owned both Regular and Custom Gibbys, and I can say without being hesistant, that you have enough money for for it because they are worth the money. They usually have Better pickups,wood, ect. Basically-If you have the money for a Custom Shop......Go for it.

For many $2' date='500- 3,000+ for an electric guitar isnt "dirt cheap" depends on your vantage point. $3k for an R9 is dirt cheap. $2k for a Custom or an R8 is pretty cheap.

I judge each individual guitar on sound and playability rather than saying an entire series is better or worse than another series. If you find a guitar that you love, thats all that matters. agreed.

When I bought my standard USA, I chose it because it was my fav out of the dozen LPs that they had in the store, including an R8. It actually came down to the R8 or the blonde, but I didnt want to drop that much cash on a guitar that would need a pup swap right away. i dont understand this statement at all. if you dont like how the guitar sounds stock, swapping the electronics wont be some magic fix. i think the Burstbucker 1/2 PUs can be great. I like them way more than any other gibson pickup.

Having just sold a Cherry Standard & bought a Custom Shop VOS 57 Black Beauty I would say there is quite a difference in the quality, as far as those 2 particular guitars go this was mainly in the quality of the fretting.

But the general feel & playability of the VOS was definitely superior, also tone wise to me it sounded better but the VOS is of course all Mahogany so is bound to sound different.

However I would say that the Custom shop cases in my opinion at least ar not as good as the USA ones.

I am looking for and LP and what I have seen over the weekend is that Custom Shop guitars have more quality consistency and overall higher quality.

How a guitar feels? well, that is subjective but if you are extremely happy with a Gibson USA that is all that matters and you are saving cash. If the guitar you like happen to be a Custom Shop why not fork out the extra cash?

Night and day! My first three Les Pauls are all off the assembly line, and each one is unique. They sound perfect, and they play great. My latest purchases are from the Gibson custom shop. I will tell you, I could feel the difference immediately. The way the neck's are contoured, the way the guitar reacts, and the way it sounds. I wouldn't necessarily consider my custom shop guitars "Better", but they definitely feel, play, and sound like a guitar that's had some extra love put into it. Arenine is right, I bought my R7 gold top for $1860, VOS. Talk about a smoking deal! Let me also say, that the custom shop nailed it with this re-issue. The neck is like a baseball bat cut in half, and the tone starts right at the neck. I can actually feel, and hear a huge amount of resonance through the neck. Awesome guitar.

Several of them have sold for around $1' date='700. That's dirt cheap for what it is...and at these prices, why would anyone buy a Trad or Standard over a used R7/R8?

An R8 needs a pup swap right away but a Studio doesn't? That's interesting...[/quote']

Standard (burst bucker pros), not studio. Never cared for the 57 burstbuckers.

I have never seen an R8 go for that cheap. The one that I was looking at was on clearance for 28.

A question like that tells me you haven't even played a reissue. Why don't you start there?

IMO' date=' no comparison & well worth it. Used R7s/R8s are also dirt cheap.[/quote']

Agreed....Ive had both and sold my USA after buying a historic. They even smell differently.

For many $2' date='500- 3,000+ for an electric guitar isnt "dirt cheap"

I judge each individual guitar on sound and playability rather than saying an entire series is better or worse than another series. If you find a guitar that you love, thats all that matters.

When I bought my standard USA, I chose it because it was my fav out of the dozen LPs that they had in the store, including an R8. It actually came down to the R8 or the blonde, but I didnt want to drop that much cash on a guitar that would need a pup swap right away. [/quote']

+1

I've never had a Reissue although I have played a few and still settled on my Standard Faded for a few reasons.

Mostly because of what the Faded offers me over the others.

However, I have noticed that people who own them rarely, if ever, have anything bad to say?

Unfortunately, that tells me a lot and that the numbers are probably biased.

As good as RI's are, or might be, I doubt 100% of them are that good everyday they are made!

There has to be some RI lemons, just like there are some USA models that are gems. (Which I think I have one) [blink]

On Price? Well, it sure sounds like the Reissue's don't hold there values that good if you can get them for 1/2 price?

Hell, I got my Standard used for $1400 which was about 2/3rds the original price!

I can get that and more now if I sold it!

So, If you have the cash and you want an RI, then go for it! 1/2 price or full price, I'm sure you will be very very happy.

But don't feel like a USA model is inferior because you can't afford one. Just look harder until you find,

"THE ONE"!

+1

I've never had a Reissue although I have played a few and still settled on my Standard Faded for a few reasons.

Mostly because of what the Faded offers me over the others.

However' date=' I have noticed that people who own them rarely, if ever, have anything bad to say?

Unfortunately, that tells me a lot and that the numbers are probably biased.

As good as RI's are, or might be, I doubt 100% of them are that good everyday they are made!

There has to be some RI lemons, just like there are some USA models that are gems. (Which I think I have one) [biggrin

On Price? Well, it sure sounds like the Reissue's don't hold there values that good if you can get them for 1/2 price?

Hell, I got my Standard used for $1400 which was about 2/3rds the original price!

I can get that and more now if I sold it!

So, If you have the cash and you want an RI, then go for it! 1/2 price or full price, I'm sure you will be very very happy.

But don't feel like a USA model is inferior because you can't afford one. Just look harder until you find,

"THE ONE"!

i agree with much of what you said.

1) the std faded model, based on reviews i see on several LP forums, seems to be one of if the best LPs the USA line has cranked out in recent years. No one ever has anything bad to say about them.

2) there are RI lemons. the first few i played did nothing for me...and i mean nothing. but then i played this one, and the difference was night and day. i was converted in that moment.

3) gibsons dont hold their value well until they get to a certain age...the R9 is the worst. $5600 sticker brand new, $3-3500 all day long used (except for certain types...monster flame from the 90s, braz, murphy, etc). because of the current market, i think buying used is the way to go. but if a new one has the tone, you with it.

Standard (burst bucker pros)' date=' not studio. Never cared for the 57 burstbuckers.

I have never seen an R8 go for that cheap. The one that I was looking at was on clearance for 28. [/quote']

There is no "57 burstbucker"; there are Gibson '57 classics and Gibson burstbuckers. Just go to ebay and search completed listings and you will find an R8 that sold auction-style (not buy it now) for under $2k.

There is no "57 burstbucker"; there are Gibson '57 classics and Gibson burstbuckers. Just go to ebay and search completed listings and you will find an R8 that sold auction-style (not buy it now) for under $2k.

True.

You will also find the cancelled auction for an R8 that was supposed to end today. The seller cancelled my bid and the auction altogether [blush] oh well, there will be others.

Quality is a relative term and we usually associate it with price. I currently have a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany with BurstBucker Pros and it is a fantastic guitar, from my perspective I could say that you don't need to spend the extra cash on a Standard Faded. Sure the cosmetics are different but they are also different between a Standard Faded and a Custom Shop guitar.

An R8 needs a pup swap right away but a Studio doesn't? That's interesting...

That's totally subjective; I have the set of 490R/498T pups in my Custom and they sound great. The only times I ever even consider changing them out is when the strings need to be changed; after that, they sound great again.

I know, we got in the habbit of calling the 1 and 2s 57 burstbuckers. I wont buy a guitar off of ebay, or any other situation requiring that I buy the guitar before I play it with no return policy. I doubt that every R8-9-0 that comes off the line is tip top, and for $2K, I wont roll the dice. If I saw an auction locally, I may contact the seller to see the unit in person, but thats the only way I would bid on one.

Gibson "Custom Shop" quality is where the regular line quality SHOULD be!

A "Custom Shop" should be just that...a shop for special order, or unique guitars....

NOT for a little bit better reissue types, with features that all Gibson's should have....IMHO.

Why we have to pay extra (beyond what's already overpriced), for accurate features, is rediculous.

I'm not a PRS guy, at all, but I always liked one older ad they did..."We don't need a Custom Shop,

We ARE a Custom Shop!" I.E. they have different models, yes, but overall quality is the same!

Unlike Gibson...where the "ultimate" quality, is reserved for the Custom Shop, apparently?

CB

I have always looked at guitars and fine wine in a similar light. One could easily drop $500+ on a first growth Bordeaux or a cult Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, but find a lesser name that produces wines of equal quality at a fraction of the price. While the Gibson Custom Shop produces some great instruments, marketing plays a role as well. There is this "mystic" quality that the original sunburst Les Pauls have about them. Not just because of the legends that have played them, but because of the collectability and quality of the few thousand units created in those magic years.

I am not saying that everyone thinks that their RX is better because they bought into Gibson's clever marketing ploys, but that a custom shop sticker and a fat price tag does not mean that you are getting a great guitar. If anything, the fact that a used R8 is going for less than half of what it runs new in not a good thing. Dont buy a guitar just because it says "custom shop" or even "Gibson" or "Fender" Buy a guitar that rocks your face off if its worth the price tag.

I have always looked at guitars and fine wine in a similar light. One could easily drop $500+ on a first growth Bordeaux or a cult Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon' date=' but find a lesser name that produces wines of equal quality at a fraction of the price. While the Gibson Custom Shop produces some great instruments, marketing plays a role as well. There is this "mystic" quality that the original sunburst Les Pauls have about them. Not just because of the legends that have played them, but because of the collectability and quality of the few thousand units created in those magic years.

I am not saying that everyone thinks that their RX is better because they bought into Gibson's clever marketing ploys, but that [b']a custom shop sticker and a fat price tag does not mean that you are getting a great guitar. If anything, the fact that a used R8 is going for less than half of what it runs new in not a good thing.[/b] Dont buy a guitar just because it says "custom shop" or even "Gibson" or "Fender" Buy a guitar that rocks your face off if its worth the price tag.

true, but your chances of getting a good guitar are better. and sad as it may be, your chances of getting QC issues like orange peel and file marks are much lower. and in theory at least, you get better wood (and i do not want to start the whole old vs new wood vs electronics lol). this stuff may not matter to a lot of people, but for those who are stuck ordering online or from a dealer like Mark's.

as for the depreciation, do you feel the same way about luxury cars...or even all cars in general? they take a huge hit the second you drive them off the lot. that doesnt mean the car wont be the smoothest and most reliable vehicle you've ever had.

The only thing that matters is the individual instrument, as everyone here agrees.

My experience when buying my guitars was that the USA Gibsons were all lovely, without exception, and very similar to each other. The Custom Shop instruments were not all lovely, there was a much greater difference between instruments which were, in theory, identical but - and it's a big but - the ones which were the best were head and shoulders above even the USA guitars.

I know, and I certainly appreciate, that I'm in the very fortunate position of living in a capital city and was, therefore, able to sample a relatively large number of Custom Shop instruments; a great many people in the forum have no such luxury.

Actually as a point of pedantry my #1 isn't Custom Shop. It was built by the Historic Division before it became the CS.

Shall I throw petrol in the fire and suggest that the H-D instruments were built wayyy better than all those production-line assembled C-S instruments? Ahh! The Good Old Days!!! Will they ever come back?????

[laugh]

Archived