Gibson Brands Forums

Is this song WAY overrated?

slashadler

Hmmm... tough call.

A few thoughts...

On one hand it gave some tired hair bands a kick in the ***. Although I think some of that is revisionism. As critics look back they seem to have decided that Nirvana - and that song specifically - was the spearhead of a musical coup.

Meanwhile there were better bands, IMO, with better guitar players... Soundgarden and Alice in Chains spring to mind.

Cobain was not much of a guitar player. However, Butch Vig is one h*ll of a producer! :-k

The fact that Cobain made Fender Mustangs desirable (and expensive) is mind boggling. Before Cobain they were $200 pieces of crap. After Nevermind, they were $800 pieces of crap. I watched it happen.

I also don't buy him as the "songwriter for a generation" that his wife claims he was. He did capture the teen angst thing well, but... meh....

All that said, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was one h*ll of a song and it has held up well.

Yes' date=' But it does not deserve to be in the top 10 of [u']all time.[/u]

After I read Are Nine's and Surfpup's post, I can see why RS rated it as such. The song wasn't rated as much for it listening value but for its overall contribution to Rock. Smells Like Teen Spirit was a major contributor to the fall of the "Hair Bands" which I despised. I always felt that Grunge saved hard rock as a whole. STP, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam was god send in my book. They were such a breath of fresh air and Nirvana was a major part of that change.

Shred, how old are you? were you into this kind of music when that song came out? the reason I ask is there is a big difference between living it and knowing about it.

I am a huge Beatles fan but I did not live that era, I am a huge Metallica fan and I lived that era. Different perception.

The song Smells Like Teen Spirit did not blow me away as it is not technically proficient in any way but it gave me a quiet sense that things were about to change and I just did not even know how right I was. Just Like Guns and Roses when Appetite for Destruction came out.

On its own merits, it's a fine song. Memorable, enjoyable, compelling.

What it meant for culture was something completely different. It might not have been the definitive start of the fall of the "Hair Bands," but it was certainly the indicator that things were changing.

And yeah, I'm of the opinion that Kurt wasn't a great guitarist technically--but he was great in that he served his songs well with his playing.

No, it's not overrated. I think the timing of the song has a lot to do with it. Like stated before, it saved rock. Nirvana was basically a punk band. You don't have to be a good musician, just have good ideas. Melody and rage. Waaaaaaay better than make-up, spandex, mousse, and sappy ballads. On another note, I don't put much into polls. Revolver as the best rock album of all time? I don't think so.

Hmmm... tough call.

A few thoughts...

On one hand it gave some tired hair bands a kick in the ***. Although I think some of that is revisionism. As critics look back they seem to have decided that Nirvana - and that song specifically - was the spearhead of a musical coup.

Meanwhile there were better bands' date=' IMO, with better guitar players... Soundgarden and Alice in Chains spring to mind.

Cobain was not much of a guitar player. However, Butch Vig is one h*ll of a producer! [sneaky

The fact that Cobain made Fender Mustangs desirable (and expensive) is mind boggling. Before Cobain they were $200 pieces of crap. After Nevermind, they were $800 pieces of crap. I watched it happen.

I also don't buy him as the "songwriter for a generation" that his wife claims he was. He did capture the teen angst thing well, but... meh....

All that said, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was one h*ll of a song and it has held up well.

+1 brother!

Hmmm... tough call.

A few thoughts...

Meanwhile there were better bands' date=' IMO, with better guitar players... Soundgarden and Alice in Chains spring to mind.

Cobain was not much of a guitar player. However, Butch Vig is one h*ll of a producer! [-(

[/quote']

Sonic Youth turned me on to Mustangs and Jazzmasters. I've got a '66 or '67 Fender Mustang and it's been one of my mainstays for years. I love it.

Overrated. As so many cultural icons are. As we used to say, "Nuke Seattle!" (a great line from the movie War Games)

Along with Nirvana came all kinds of craptastic down-tempo mush like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Metallica's stylistic sellout ... all in all a rotten musical movement imho.

And no, I don't disagree that the hair metal sucked too.

Overrated.

As are the Fender Mustangs.

Was Nirvana a "good" band?

Sure, and they found their audience so there was something there to draw such a following.

But to get as big and be as revered as Cobain is?

I'm afraid I still don't get it.

Now, Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters I get....

I disagree (slightly) with BrunDaddy.

Pearl Jam had a good first album, some good songs on the second album, a couple on the third as they slipped...

Alice in Chains has some tunes that will stand the test of time, if only a couple.

Same goes for Soundgarden in my opinion, a few of their songs still make the fur stand up on my arms.

I feel that Nevermind is overrated. Yes, it got them the attention. I still think In Utero is a better album by far and it does not get the attention it deserves. I can still listen to that album and not feel like a kid. I don't mean to offend anyone but Nevermind I just kinda outgrew if that makes sense. I really can't listen to it anymore. Not because it was so popular, it just seems sooooo dated and stuck in that time period to me. In Utero was different. That's my $.02.

Archived