Gibson Brands Forums

Soo anyone play video games here?

dem00n

I have a Gameboy advance that I play maybe 5 - 10 hours a year. about 98% of my "me time" goes into playing music. I cannot justify buying a new game system and $50-$60 per game. I know it would just collect dust. Guitar is my obsession. I don't have the discipline to play videos games. Or maybe I'm too disciplined. Either way' date=' I just can't do it. Not that I'm old school (I'm 28). It always shocks all my friends until they see my guitar collection.[/quote']

You could buy a PSP and hack it so that you could download games for free onto it. Thats what I did.

If anyone is thinking about buying Uncharted 2 on the PS3 - do it. One of the best games I've played in the last decade. Maybe even better and more polished than MGS4' date=' if that's possible.[/quote']

Yea I heard that, and COD Modern Warfare 2 is supposed to be great.

I wouldn't mind those and the new Ratchet and Clank

I used to play a lot... now not as much. I find myself incredibly busy, between classes and radio, so it's neglected most of the time.

If I have breaks I'll get back into them, but I've never been terribly good, so I usually progress a little bit and get stuck. The games I'm currently stuck in are Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass... and most of the rest of them I own. Those are just the three most recent. Of all the games I own or have owned (over 250 at last count, most of them still in my possession), I've only actually finished around 10.

As you can see, I'm a Nintendo fan. I always have been, and likely will be until one of us ceases to exist. I will admit to owning a Sega Genesis, Sony PSone, and PSP, however. An Atari VCS, also, but that was around before Nintendo was, and I have Nintendo games for it.

I actually ran a Guitar Hero/Rock Band event two weeks ago with the radio station... we had a terrible turnout, so it was just me and my staff, and two or three other people, playing all night with 20 pizzas. Not a bad time.

Sheesh...

You folks really are making me feel "old" with terms I've never heard, and supposedly I'm a computer nut.

Anybody wanna write a bit of code in Pascal? <chortle>

Anyway... Izzy, I never had a girlfriend hafta learn games 'cuz of me. A little bit of bass guitar maybe, but...

<grin> Boy-girl games always seemed more than sufficient.

m

I can still whip up on some Space Invaders and Galaga :-

I play some Wii games and PS3, like Little Big Planet. My middle son plays Xbox 360 and is a Gears of War and Halo beast.

I used to enjoy system linking Halo with my kids and their friends, but now they just play online.

I would have never played an mmorpg if it weren't for my boyfriend.

To better understand him I decided to start playing a game with him called Secret of the Solstice.

We both started at about the same time but I made sure to play on my own and earn my own lvls without any help.

Soon I understood his lingo and drive' date=' even as it applied to other games. When he began working out of town the mmo was what kept us connected. Also, I became one of the highest level female players (highest of my class), so I can say I didn't half a$$ed the research.

I'd say I'm better for having dedicated myself to that game, but now I'd MUCH rather write or read.[/quote']

The overall problem (well, to ME it's a problem) with mmorpgs is that they really require you to dedicate a lot of time to them in order to progress at a decent rate and obtain better loot. WoW is really the only one I've played where you could realistically level up and get fairly good loot on your own; I love teaming with other players but I don't often have three hours or so to give up to do a raid with a team. It's really a catch 22 for the game developers; you have to reward the players who put forth the extra effort but not alienate the more casual players at the same time.

The overall problem (well' date=' to ME it's a problem) with mmorpgs is that they really require you to dedicate a lot of time to them in order to progress at a decent rate and obtain better loot. WoW is really the only one I've played where you could realistically level up and get fairly good loot on your own; I love teaming with other players but I don't often have three hours or so to give up to do a raid with a team. It's really a catch 22 for the game developers; you have to reward the players who put forth the extra effort but not alienate the more casual players at the same time.

[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. It got to the point where I actually felt like I was logging on to my second JOB when I went on the game. The sense of community and the people you meet can make it great fun though...more than a console solo game.

Not anything like I used to.

I used to dedicate countless hours to Duke Nukem 3D through Kali. I got good enough to be ranked in the top 100 on Case's Internet Gaming Ladder... Number 1 on Myth:TFL (/chuckle... you'll get the joke if you ever played it). I find I like the strategy games better... or games like the Battlefield series where team strategy can win the day.

I pretty much don't have the time to play anymore; there are just too many other things to occupy my time.

I do not consider it to have been time wasted or mere escapism any more than golfing or running is merely to escape or wasted time. For the record, we home schooled my eldest son. As part of his schoolwork, he played EverQuest. Here is what he learned:

1. Reading- It is a text driven game for all the graphics. If you can't read, you can't play.

2. Spelling- as I am certain some on this forum can attest, there are TONS of grammar-nazis out there just waiting for some one to misspell a word so they can wantonly flay them alive. You WILL learn to spell correctly, eventually.

3. Typing- when being flamed by the aforementioned grammar-nazis in a chat-room environment, one learns to type quickly or one discovers that their opportunity to defend themselves has passed.

4. Math- Lots of math in this game. "If the cheapest horse costs 8,000 platinum pieces, and the average orc drops 3 copper pieces, how many orcs do you need to kill in order to buy a horse?"

5. Economics- Given that it takes over a billion orc kills to afford a horse, how am I gonna be able to afford one? Perhaps if I could pick up a tradeskill and make things to sell?

6. Computers/ Networking- That little green guage at the top of the screen that measures latency actually means something.... "Daddy, why does my toon move so slow?" can result in an excellent learning oportunity.

7. Psychology- any number of lessons in basic human nature as he learned to deal with people possesing varying levels of morals or behavioral skills, from Chinese plat farmers to just plain thieves.

I guess it's just a perspective; some look at it and go "geez what a complete and utter waste" while others view the positive benefits gained in a method that is both entertaining and educational.

Happy Gaming!

[biggrin]

Archived