Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Forums......

Murph

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"spitting the dummy"? that's one i haven't heard before. um' date=' definition please?

thx![/quote']

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spit+the+Dummy

Australian Term: To indulge in a sudden display of anger or frustration; to lose one’s temper. The phrase is usually used of an adult, and the implication is that the outburst is childish, like a baby spitting out its dummy in a tantrum and refusing to be pacified. (Dummy is a pacifier)

Passy, nook-nook, binky are the terms that come readily to mind...I don't think I've ever heard the term dummy applied here. OTOH, we're a fairly large country with diverse cultural practices. It could very well be used in some parts of the country and never heard of in others.

...Remember when...

... we weren't even allowed to mention the word Fender?

... we were not allowed to talk about amps?

... we were not allowed to discuss pedals?

Too true! We added a Gibson reference to everything just so it would fly. My new Marshall is bad a** ... with my Les Paul of course... [biggrin]

I still type F**der or some such variation out of habit.

I remember we talked once about getting an amp and pedal area. Instead we got the lounge. It's been amps, pedals, and obviously more. Maybe we shoulda just gone with an amp and pedal area... :-

Too true! We added a Gibson reference to everything just so it would fly. My new Marshall is bad a** ... with my Les Paul of course... [biggrin]

I still type F**der or some such variation out of habit.

I remember we talked once about getting an amp and pedal area. Instead we got the lounge. It's been amps' date=' pedals, and obviously more. Maybe we shoulda just gone with an amp and pedal area... :- [/quote']

I second that, I think there should still be the lounge, but I think a guitar gear section would be much visited and used (ie amps, pedals, and the sort)

I am all in favor

Hey Duane, you are a Mod, make a suggestion and make it happen.

Guitarest had MOTM, you can make this section, go for it bud

I second that' date=' I think there should still be the lounge, but I think a guitar gear section would be much visited and used (ie amps, pedals, and the sort)

I am all in favor

Hey Duane, you are a Mod, make a suggestion and make it happen.

Guitarest had MOTM, you can make this section, go for it bud

[/quote']

If I may...... Why wouldn't the Lounge suffice?

In a sense a "gear" section is logical but...

Every time I look at forum counts, it seems as if the Lounge has the most.

So... it seems if uwanna ask a gear question like, "has anybody bought a Zapperoni Fuzz Stomp Box," starting a thread here may be more likely to bring a response...

We've talked strings, string types, string gauges...

m

If I may...... Why wouldn't the Lounge suffice?

For the sole purpose of it being a lounge......

If we had a gear section, that would be for gear posts, the lounge would be left for shooting the breeze.

Milod- the lounge has the most posts because it is the most versatile, and too often, the other sections get overlooked, if someone has a new LP, they post here, not the les paul section and so on and so forth, I am all for a gear section, I think it would be great

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Spit+the+Dummy

Australian Term: To indulge in a sudden display of anger or frustration; to lose one’s temper. The phrase is usually used of an adult' date=' and the implication is that the outburst is childish, like a baby spitting out its dummy in a tantrum and refusing to be pacified. (Dummy is a pacifier)[/quote']

thank you for that. all cleared up.

Well I haven't been here for a very long time (6 months), but I just look past all the worthless bickering. This is an amazing place to look for information, especially if you want to know about amps, mods or whatever. I started by looking up info about the 1959 LP reissue, and I figured the actual "Gibson Forum" would have the best information. I have learned a so much just looking up past posts as well as asking my own embarrassing questions as well. There are many great posts in the lounge and it would be a shame to forget about those all because a few people get swept up in some stupid argument.

When discussing topics that are based on value judgements like aesthetics, politics, or ethics, there really is no true absolute undeniable certainty, nor is there any real test for these things like we have in science. If we have a bunch of people talking there is bound to be drastic differences in opinion, but the key is to state your point/beliefs respectfully, intelligently, open-minded, and honestly. If everyone does so, any "arguments" should be stimulating and enlightening.

I like to think of you guys as a bunch of buddies that just chill in some really cool bar always discussing guitars that I can access whenever I go online.

[quote name='ChanManRemember when...

... we weren't even allowed to mention the word Fender?

... we were not allowed to talk about amps?

... we were not allowed to discuss pedals?

... we were not allowed to post ANYTHING that didn't include some reference to Gibson guitars? ("Happy Birthday Tim_A!! Oh' date=' and Gibson Les Pauls Rock!!")

... remember how we learned all this?? By watching those "Stack or Half Stack?" threads just magically disappear?

... remember when we asked for a Lounge so we could discuss such things?[/color']

SH*T! what a sad lonely world this forum must've been before we all came along and screwed it all up for you all!

EXIT STAGE RIGHT! [confused]

Don't mention the "F" word!

Come on! Where's all the rebels?!

SH*T! what a sad lonely world this forum must've been before we all came along and screwed it all up for you all!

EXIT STAGE RIGHT! [laugh]

Don't mention the "F" word!

Come on! Where's all the rebels?!

Right.... Sooo..... If i get this correctly' date=' I read 5 pages of negative posts, which started as a big nostalgic complain of how things were and the fact that they are never going to be the same again, just for (most of the guys at least...) to admit that actually things are so much better than they used to be...? :-s[biggrin

To be honest, I have come accross this nostalgia before in the forums. As stated back then, since I was not part of the ''before'', I cannot really comment on how things were. Based on ChanMan's description, I can only ask myself what you guys were doing in here in the first place...? [crying]

Personally, I see absolutely no reason of being part of a net-community if I don't have the basic freedoms of self-expression, open-mindness and speech. The existence of these, is the reason that I come keep coming back. I find only point in SOCIALIZING and that's what I do in here. And the ''Lounge'' to my understanding, is the place where we can discuss all thing that are part of our interests. That includes guitars in general, other gear, music, sports, news, the f* weather and YES, religion and politics!

As mentioned before from another forum member, politics & religion are topics that have been in the CENTRE of interest of musicians for centuries now! And not only musicians, if I may add. Of every free-thinking human being I would say!

I am in here exactly because things are exactly the way they are. Should a ''decision'' / further actions be taken to ''restore the order'', I may as well pack my things and head to another forum....

For what is worth, I find this one to be GREAT open place for discussion and I like it fine! I want it to remain as it is.

Oh, yes, and a dedicated ''Gear'' forum sounds like a perfect idea! So that the Lounge remains for everything else...

you dont understand

Before the new forum, you would have to wait a week to get even one response on a thread

then more people came, there was good talk, but only gibson talk

we wanted to talk about other topics, but wernt allowed until we had a lounge, and things where GREAT!

and things where good for a long time until the geartalk disaster

after that, a troll ran the show for a while, posting nothing but flame bait

then when the bans from the geartalk disaster expired, everything was a political flame bait war

then we had new mods come in and calm everything down, and it was good again

just recently, that mod left, alot of the regulars have left and now things are "screw-y" again

Hector-

It was a very cerebral place. We were here for the info, and to talk about how much we loved our Gibson guitars. There was great information on them, too. Anything - pickup issues, what to use to keep the finish in tip top shape, various aspects of set ups, Tim_A even posted a lot of pictures... I mean a LOT of pictures of his Les Pauls. We were polite to each other, and the overall atmosphere was much kinder and friendlier.

As far as the Forum goes... it is a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the ride! [thumbup]

A couple of days ago a guy came down on me hard because I didn't speak about the Dusk Tiger in what were exactly glowing terms.I think that if someone states their opinion of a product politely and objectively they shouldn't be subjected to verbal assaults after all everybody is entitled to an opinion whether they right or wrong but it seems that some people don't appreciate this concept and jump at the chance to launch into a tirade with anyone whose opinion differs from theirs.There is no need for that kind of negative behavior on what is supposed supposed a friendly chat site for people with common interests and often different opinions.In the words of Dandemis:"Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own.You may both be wrong".

-------------------------------------------------

Well folks it's just like anything else, the more people you expose yourself to, the more you let the good in with the bad and indifferent.[thumbup]

IMO, in the big scheme of it all, it's quite the wonderful thing. I know its helped me in branching out my perspective.

Archived