Gibson Brands Forums

Songs and Artists you play?

Geetar_Axl

Besides our original material, we do covers of the following, a.o. :

Thin Lizzy (the entire Live & Dangerous album, Cold Sweat)

UFO (Shoot Shoot)

Riot (Swords & Tequila)

Whitesnake (Bad Boys, Here I Go Again)

They all sound pretty good with a Les Paul plugged into a Marshall:d/

Haha Marshall, not in this house. We live above a Vet Surgery at the moment (not for to much longer) Ok house, very annoying and gets in the way of habits (I could get my 15w Peavey Solo amp to 5 probably to 7 at our old place, shared house too but it was a noisey awesome place.) Here the highest Ive gotten is 3...when they werent there. I play on 2 and a half now...[-o<

A great simple song that sounds awsome with a LP and just a touch of gain is All Right Now. The main riff is just A and D, but the trick is not to play a regular D chord. It's an inversion where you just keep your first finger barred over the 2nd fret for the A chord and just add your 2nd and 3rd fingers on the 2ndtsring/3rd fret and 4th string/4th fret for the D. It's so simple but the slight variation in the D chord makes a world of tone difference. The solo is also a classic LP tone.

That's the beauty about the Les Paul is it's so versatile you can play anything on it. Not too much gain and really easy to learn is The Sultans of Swing the rhythm is real easy and the solo has a couple of tricky parts but not too hard. I love playing Foo Fighters (really really easy) ACDC (also really easy) Ozzy Revelation mother earth the solo is a little tricky but not too hard but very powerful sounding.

It all really depends on what my fingers will let me play. I'll try anything at least once, but there are things you just know right out of the box, you're not going to be able to play no matter how much you practice, or how hard you try, so with those I don't really bother.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the power ballads. I like for my toes to be tapping, and my foot to be stompin' if you know what I mean.

AC/DC

Southern Rock

Foo Fighters

Black Crowes

Honky Tonk

Zeppelin

Grand Funk

Pink Floyd

CSN & Y

Eagles

Way too many to list actually.

To add to the other's lists:

Kiss - "Duece"- off "Kiss:Alive!"

Judas Priest- "Metal Gods"- off "British Steel"

Twisted Sister- "The Price"- off "Stay Hungry"

Krokus- "Screamin' In the Night"- off "Headhunter" (and numerous others)

Iron Maiden- "Back In the Village" - off "Powerslave"

Pantera- "Cemetary Gates"- off "Cowboys From Hell" (scoop your mids!)

Let me know if these aren't enough.... I've played a Strat for decades and just got my first LP.....I got lots of 'em O:).

anything from zep 1 & 2

madien's 666 number of the beast, and run to the hills

SKYNYRD

la grange, and sharp dressed man

and all the "standard cover songs"

ie spirit in the sky, honkey tonk women, and cant you see

Added to all the above?

Get the Led out.

Another brick in the Wall Part 2 (Solo played on an early Gold Top, Fender fans!)

Cheap sunglasses or Tush - ZZ Top

Tie your mother down - Queen

Badge, Crossroads - Cream

Play that funky music - Wild Cherry (for a change of pace)

Always on the run - Lenny Kravitz

Amanda - Boston

But please, PLEASE .... give Parisienne Walkways a rest!

Anything will sound good on a Les Paul...anything!

Ever heard of Bedouin Soundclash? Canadian band from Montreal. Kinda reggae-ish but oh so good! Don't get me wrong, hard rock is the best...but every once in a while, some Bob Marley or Bedouin Soundclash is just what the doctor ordered.

When the Night Feels My Song was the first tune I played on my Custom...and it was a beautiful day...

I've been playing Yngwie Malmsteen's "Far Beyond the Sun". I've also been playing a bit of Dragonforce's "Through the Fire and Flames", but I've only been that because it was in Guitar World this month (an 18 page tab =D> ) and because the intro is just so fun and it's actually a good warm up excersize. But believe me, I've been playing way too many things to even list, so I just decided to tell what I've been working on recently. (like since last week)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEewund2zQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEewund2zQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Motley Crue -Too Young to Fall In Love,Live Wire

Quiet Riot-*** on Feel the Noise

Led Zeppelin-Over the Hills and Far Far Away,six string parts of Stairway to Heaven

G'N'R-Sweet Child of Mine,Welcome to the Jungle

KISS-Strutter,Rock and Roll all Night,Detroit Rock City

Skid Row-18 and Life,currently learning Slave to the Grind

I don't play to many covers, got enough material now for a full 2 hours, be we try to throw in a couple of familiar songs to keep the crowd going. I love to play some ZZ Top, the ladies love it. I usually go with either La Grange, Legs, or Sharp Dressed Man.

I also really like it when we play hot for teacher by van halen.

Another good one is Moby ****/ Bonzo's Montreux, wich we play to give the singer a break.

Archived