Gibson Brands Forums

for sale, 1958 les paul standard once owend by gary moore...

S t e v e

Just imagine, you could buy about 275 good guitars for that. I'm afraid I'll never be sophisticated enough to appreciate that kind of "value" in a musical instrument like a 50 +/- year old guitar. I don't much care who's hands have held it or what songs were played on it. To my old simple mind it's just another 50 year old Les Paul. You could shut most of us in a dark room and play a vintage/modern mix of guitars for us and I'd be amazed if anyone could consistently choose the vintage stuff that fetches such absurd prices.

Just imagine' date=' you could buy about 275 good guitars for that. I'm afraid I'll never be sophisticated enough to appreciate that kind of "value" in a musical instrument like a 50 +/- year old guitar. I don't much care who's hands have held it or what songs were played on it. To my old simple mind it's just another 50 year old Les Paul. You could shut most of us in a dark room and play a vintage/modern mix of guitars for us and I'd be amazed if anyone could consistently choose the vintage stuff that fetches such absurd prices.[/quote']

agreed, but can you believe that the moore/green 59 was bougtht from gary by maverick music for 6 figures!, also it isnt just the (pre-owned by famous player) lp's that go for a packet, check this out :-

http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idProduct=1916

agreed' date=' but can you believe that the moore/green 59 was bougtht from gary by maverick music for 6 figures!, also it isnt just the (pre-owned by famous player) lp's that go for a packet, check this out [blink']

http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idProduct=1916

Have mercy! :- "A few bob" is right!

This Les Paul was used for Gary Moore’s “After Hours” CD photo shoots. It was used for Gary’s 8×10 B&W glossy photos. It was used in two Gary Moore videos: “Cold Day in Hell.” and Since I Met You Baby.” This guitar has been featured in NUMEROUS books and magazines. (ie: “The Electric Guitar, an illustrated history.” Pages 93 and 147.)

So, basically it's been used as a prop for pictures. For that kind of money, I'd expect it to have been played in at least one recording...

Not that I have that kind of money either way.

You could shut most of us in a dark room

You know I love you Dennis, but that would be too much for me to handle:-"

That would be a brilliant idea man! Let us taste blind, no wine but the feel and the sound of LP's...and let's see who's the champ now...?:-

Gary was alleged of having the 59 Burst not a 58.

Moore did not steal it he bought it from someone.

Who that someone is? I don't know.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Music Radar is reporting that it was in 1972 when Ronnie Montrose says he had his 1959 classic sunburst Gibson Les Paul stolen.

Montrose was then part of the Edgar Winter Group, and claims he had his rare 1959 'burst stolen from a EWG show on 20 October 1972 in Dudley, Massachusetts.

Montrose says he bought the guitar from J Geils in 1972, and used it to record the Edgar Winter Group album They Only Come Out at Night.

Montrose says he has since hired private detectives over the past 37 years to track down the guitar, but he had no luck.

Until he saw Gary Moore's guitar collection in the British guitar magazine, Guitar Buyer.

Montrose is convinced that one of Moore's pictured Les Pauls is his missing guitar.

According to court reports, Moore has not responded to Montrose's efforts to establish contact since 2007, so Montrose is suing the Irish rocker. There is no suggestion Moore was behind any claimed theft in 1972.

Reached at his home in Brighton, England, Moore refused to discuss the matter, saying only that the “whole thing is a sham” and “I’ve had that guitar for more than 20 years.” Montrose doesn’t dispute that notion, but he insists that doesn’t change the fact that Moore is in possession of his stolen guitar and must return it. An angry Moore refused to comment further on his tussle with Montrose over the decades-old instrument.

First off, I agree that that's a stupid amount of money to blow on one guitar.

The funny thing is, none of us who say "I'll pass" or "that's too much money for a guitar" most likely couldn't afford it even if we wanted it; so, why rip on it? Yes, it's a insanely overpriced but to some people, it's not.

People want that 50 year old Lester, people want the history & they're willing to pay for it.

It's the vintage Les Paul market, let it be...

One of my guitars cost me close to $8,500.

How many of you would honestly pay that much for one guitar?

Even that's a stupid amount of money for just one guitar but after playing it, I felt it was worth ever penny.

I don't much care who's hands have held it or what songs were played on it. To my old simple mind it's just another 50 year old Les Paul.

...but that's the thing - another 50 year old Les Paul could run you the same money.

I remember seeing another '58 LP, which wasn't owned by a famous musician, for $275,000.

Gary was alleged of having the 59 Burst not a 58.

Moore did not steal it he bought it from someone.

Who that someone is? I don't know.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Music Radar is reporting that it was in 1972 when Ronnie Montrose says he had his 1959 classic sunburst Gibson Les Paul stolen.

Montrose was then part of the Edgar Winter Group' date=' and claims he had his rare 1959 'burst stolen from a EWG show on 20 October 1972 in Dudley, Massachusetts.

Montrose says he bought the guitar from J Geils in 1972, and used it to record the Edgar Winter Group album They Only Come Out at Night.

Montrose says he has since hired private detectives over the past 37 years to track down the guitar, but he had no luck.

Until he saw Gary Moore's guitar collection in the British guitar magazine, Guitar Buyer.

Montrose is convinced that one of Moore's pictured Les Pauls is his missing guitar.

According to court reports, Moore has not responded to Montrose's efforts to establish contact since 2007, so Montrose is suing the Irish rocker. There is no suggestion Moore was behind any claimed theft in 1972.

Reached at his home in Brighton, England, Moore refused to discuss the matter, saying only that the “whole thing is a sham” and “I’ve had that guitar for more than 20 years.” Montrose doesn’t dispute that notion, but he insists that doesn’t change the fact that Moore is in possession of his stolen guitar and must return it. An angry Moore refused to comment further on his tussle with Montrose over the decades-old instrument.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure Axe®'s kitten pooped Moore's guitar.

And I quoted Axe®

And I put flappers on my post.

[flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper][flapper]

Even if I had 358 million dollars, I would not pay that for a guitar. Any guitar, kitten pooped or not. Period.

Lord... the other things that you could do with that kind of money!

Archived