Gibson Brands Forums

Whats a valvestate amp?

dem00n

Why are you arguing with dem00n?

Don't you know it's like casting your pearls before swine.

He don't get it.

You can sing the virtues of tube amps till your blue in the face and he isn't going to listen.#-o

Murph' date=' you can chime in anytime now.

I'm looking forward to a good pile-on.[/quote']

What? [biggrin]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of cheap tube amps that are great for metal, bro.

I don't see why you would go for solid state anything at this point in time, but it's true that if you find something that you like you should get it. But don't fool yourself.

I have a Marshall Valvestate 2000 50w combo

All solid state but for one 12AX7 preamp tube....I use it mostly for the headphone jack, but even

using it to play it sounds great. I have had no complaints with it at all.

Of course you cant compare it to my Orange 100% all tube, but the Valvestate can hold it own.

There are plenty of cheap tube amps that are great for metal' date=' bro.

I don't see why you would go for solid state anything at this point in time, but it's true that if you find something that you like you should get it. But don't fool yourself.[/quote']

I didnt say i was going soild state i wanted to see what a valvestate amp was and well it went from there.

I had the first generation 100W head back around when they were sort of new. I played metal back then and it really wasn't great for it. It had a weak, buzzing kind of sound that only got thinner and buzzier as you cranked it, and even then it wasn't really that loud. Also, even though it has a tube in the preamp, the distortion in silicon diode generated, but that how it is done in quite a few Marshalls. Either you like it or you don't.

I use an AVT (advanced valve technology) 150H Marshall........why? ...cause I got it for $150 and it is 150 watts and says Marshall on it.

Do I want a large tube head....well of course....but not to replace the AVT ...to stack on top of it...heat ya know...gotta give the valvesthere space. Here is my quick opinion on the difference between all tub and ss.....tubes are more organic in the response and sound etc.

and solid state is a more robotic, even and exacting sound. This has to do with how electricity is dealt with when it encounters what are called .... and, nor and or ... gates which is what transistors are and what tubes are. The signal goes into a tube or transistor and with a certain voltage applied to that tube or transistor the signal is sent.....to point A...(AND)....B to point A...and not B..(NOR).....depending on applied voltage....

to point A ..(OR)..B..... So you ask what the F is this about and why am I reading it.........When electrical iactivity is directed using SS transistors

there is no variance or interference in it....it is very clean so to speak.....but when you are dealing with tubes...they call them valves because that is what the do allow a signal to pass through when a signal is applied the same as a transistor...the difference is tubes are not exact...they are made with metal componants that vary slightly from tube to tube and as the voltage increases through a tube it jumps around in there where it is not supossed to be....this is what causes the distortion of the signal.

...as the tube is overdriven voltage is leaping off contacts in the tube and hitting other contacts and effecting them...............and it something that can not be exactly predicted or replicated because of the way electricity reacts

to the elements in a tube in regards to the actual sound...............as evidenced by all these valve state or advanced valve tech or vox's valvetronix

They can't retire actual tubes because as humans we like the more organic sound of them and are wary of sound that is too exact in it's waves as seen on an O-scope or more importantly heard by our organic brains.

Dem00n, in your quest for YOUR tone I think you should try the valvestate amp(s). All tube is not always better because sound is different for everyone. Let your ears be your guide and truly search for THE sound that is in your head.

Personally, most around here know by now I have this infatuation/love for Dumble amps; they are not all tube as most of them use solid state (diodes) rectifier (the rectifier changes the current from AC into DC). The most famour Dumbles are built this way, but not all.

DISCLAIMER: If THE sound you hear in your head is talking to you then seek professional help. And whatever you do ~ don't answer back.

Hmm thanks everyone.

I understand that no one in this forum can really help me with this heavy metal sound in my head.

But thank you everyone.

Though u guys can help with guitars not amps!

Look when I was 14 or so and just getting into guitar we just hooked up every speaker and amp we could get and turned um full on........ever seen some old pics of the Deads stage set up with Jerry standing in front of like a

20 by 20 foot wall of speakers.....yeah....I unerstan dat..... and look the Dead were way far from the heavy sound we

were looking for but that is your answer.......downtown where the lights are........

Look when I was 14 or so and just getting into guitar we just hooked up every speaker and amp we could get and turned um full on........ever seen some old pics of the Deads stage set up with Jerry standing in front of like a

20 by 20 foot wall of speakers.....yeah....I unerstan dat..... and look the Dead were way far from the heavy sound we

were looking for but that is your answer.......downtown where the lights are........

Heh thanks!

Go out right now and get a Kustom tube 12A. It's a 12 watt valvestat amp with a 10 inch speaker and they sound amazing! Best sounding small amp of that kind out there for the money! You could probably find a used one for less then a hundred. Go check them out!

I use mine for my kind of blues rock stuff but also for alice in chains and that kind of heavier stuff. And as far as metal goes I bring it to school and my heavy metal shred head friend kicks *** with it. Just throws on a distortion or overdrive pedal and that's all he needs.

I'm backing Demoon on this one. Go for it mate! And see if that fits ya!

First of all, I don't like generic talk. Tell me all you guys, honestly: haven't you ever heard a total **** valve amp? I know I have... And what about Joe Perry and Billy Duffy who absolutely adore their Roland JC120 (solid state) amps? And all the jazz players who play through s.s amps? And the death metalers who also prefer s.s. for their grind?

I bet that when Eddie told everyone he was putting a PAF humbucker in his Strat and he doesn't need another pickup was given a lot of b.s as well...[biggrin]

So after all it depends on personal taste and the kind of music you play I guess?

Ever listened to Polytone Amps (mini brute)? Or the Roland JC 120? Today it seems to be the difference in quality isn`t really that big...

I use a Marshall Valvestate VS65R and I like it... That one has valves in the preamp-section but other hybrid amps have tubes in the power amplifier (I hope its the right technical term for it) instead. But I don`t know the differences in the sound...

... of course, when you are fixed on the harmonic distortion of an turned up tube amp you don`t need to look beyond your own nose ;-)

soild state amp?

Soiled?

Like a soiled diaper?

How appropriate....

[crying]

Thought it was a typo' date=' but it's in every post!

And what about Joe Perry and Billy Duffy who absolutely adore their Roland JC120 (solid state) amps?

And all the jazz players who play through s.s amps?

And the death metalers who also prefer s.s. for their grind?

Saw The Cult several times and never noticed the Roland you speak of in his rig.

Didn't get that close of a look, I'll admit.

With Duffy's love of big jazz boxes, I suppose I could see where SS amps might be a plus for control.

I dunno.

Hate to think so, after all I love his tone and always assumed....

Different story with Joe Perry.

Got to see his stage rig up close and personal just a few weeks ago and spoke with him briefly about it.

Fender and Marshall heads exclusively - OLD ones!

Now, as far as his studio work goes there's no telling.

I've seen some footage of his studio and I'm sure he has every amp ever made....

The references made before about casting pearls before swine are dead on.

For the thin, shrill, overdriven tone that Dem00n professes his love for, soiled state is the ONLY way to go.

To get that out of a tube amp would require so much signal processing that tubes no longer matter.

If you simply want buzz saw thru a jet engine distortion, then get the easy predictability of soiled state.

Death Metal awaits.

If Dime ever used tube amps, you couldn't prove it by me.

I always thought his tone was so over the top, so overdriven, and so effects-laden as to be simply too much.

To me he sounded like there was a 1960's vintage battery-powered transister AM radio in the signal path.

- cranked to 11....

[crying]

Personal opinion, sorry.

Save your money and get a soiled state amp with enough power to drive a large cabinet - and crank it up.

And limit your use of the word "tone" in the discussion of the "sound" that comes out of it.

Leave tone to the tube guys....

Archived