Gibson Brands Forums

L-200 Custom for Christmas/New Year's

J185-4Me

Well, my wife's Custom Gibson finally arrived yesterday!!

Here's the story.

So I decided last year to get a Custom Shop guitar for my wife. Her twenty years of teaching music coincided with Bozeman's 20th Anniversary too, so I thought this would be a cool commemorative project. I first spoke to Ren Ferguson and Val Bolitho about it back at the Homecoming, tossed around some ideas, and then plans were finalized during a second visit at the plant later in the summer, where my wife and I sat down with Ren, Val and Don -- being as it would be her guitar! She wanted something that would (1) be unique and that (2) would have good tone and (3) be easy enough for her to play. Having seen some of the work that Val and Ren have done in the past, she and I already had some concepts in mind.

One was it would be a smaller-body guitar, with body of maple and ???, and, that it would have some interesting colours. We had seen some of the three-piece back guitars from earlier years and so we headed in that direction, with solid input from Ren, Val and Don.

What we ended up ordering was an L-200 EmmyLou "Custom", as that provides a small body, nice tone, good volume, clarity and punch, and, its maple back and sides provide a nice "canvas" to work from in terms of three piece backs, cool colours, etc.

So with woods picked in August, and plans for the guitar worked up, we ordered it up through Fuller's Vintage Guitar in Houston, and the plant built it, with most or a lot of the work done by Val and Ren. Tina decided on a quilt maple back with a central, slghtly contrasting flamed maple center-piece, with the colours being sort of a dark royal blue with a contrasting amber center bit.

Here's how it turned out.

IMGP4889.jpg

You can see this is the 'old' L-200 body shape, which Ren and I thought would be the more appropriate design. I've always liked the older version tonally better than the newer J-165-ish style.

Close-up view:

IMGP4894.jpg

Back:

IMGP4852.jpg

IMGP4863.jpg

Tina requested a Bridger Mountains inlay at the 12th fret as this is one her favourite sights in the Gallatin Valley/Bozeman area:

IMGP4856-1.jpg

Headstock back:

IMGP4870.jpg

The amber theme started on the back continues right the way up the neck. Très cool.

Headstock front:

IMGP4884.jpg

My wife is pleased that the guitar (1) sounds GREAT!! (2) is very comfortable for her hands to play and (3) was built by the good folks at Gibson's Bozeman plant, many of whom she now knows (we've visited with them for a number of years....) and whom she considers friends.

"Christmas", a bit late, but well worth the wait!

Fred

Perhaps' date=' it should be called "Bridger-Bolitho" Blue... [biggrin']

Perfect! Before I saw these photos, I thought her green was best for making that bubble figure look 3D. I'm changing my vote to Bridger-Bolitho Blue.

-- Bob R

Perfect! Before I saw these photos' date=' I thought her green was best for making that bubble figure look 3D. I'm changing my vote to Bridger-Bolitho Blue.

-- Bob R

[/quote']

Yeah, it was Tina's choice to go with that blue. I likely would have opted for something more 'traditional', but she had seen some of Val and Ren's previous work, and liked the aesthetics of the blue.

Pickingcolours1.jpg

Good choices, I'd say:

IMGP4866.jpg

Fred

Very sweet! I love the tone of maple and that back is stunning. Looks like a yellow brick road down the middle of a beautiful blue ocean. I think I am in love. That is what "Custom" is all about. I would love to hear a sound clip of that guitar sometime.

That's what i thought when I saw it too!

It is striking! Very cool! Congratulations!

Fred

I'm glad I didn't hurt myself when if fell to the ground. But' date=' I'm good. Wow, I agree that's what custom is all about.

The Other Fred[/quote']

Thanks, Other Fred!

We agree, that this is "very Custom". [biggrin]

For the record, we should acknowledge that the guitar was ordered through Five Star Gibson dealer Fuller's Vintage Guitar. I have dealt with Mike Fuller there for the last ten yars or so, and ordered all my Customs through him. They've been really good -- and fun! -- to work with, so I would heartily endorse them for Custom orders.

Fred

Archived