-Angus Young

-Gary Rossington

-Van Halen

-Gary Moore

-Joe Bonamassa

-John Fogerty

-Carlos Santana

*there's probably more that i cant think of right now....*

o wait, im forgetting the most important influence of all....

.....BUCKETHEAD!!! hehehe jk [biggrin]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
James Hetfield

Jimi Hendrix

Steve Vai

Ace Frehley

Mick Mars

B.B King

These are the main ones. If I had to list all the ones I love' date=' I'd be here all night typing lol [/b']

I prefer QUALITY as opposed to QUANTITY.

Mine are:

Randy Rhoads

Eddie Van Halen

Joe Pass

Wes Montgomery

Tony Iommi AND

Buckethead!

Bold ones are the biggest influence.

My first influence to music was Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz)... He was the guy that influenced me to play trumpet and play air guitar with my dads acoustic[biggrin] ... To this day I still think he's great[cool]

After that I graduated to the Beatles, then moved on to Jimi Hendrix then Jeff Beck. Maynard Ferguson came into the picture, then EVH took my brain and washed it good[blink] .... Then I went through a short stint with Randy Rhoads, but that ended in 1982 shortly after his passing.

After that I really didn't try to learn licks from any more guitar players.

Music in general? Largely the whole "thing" of music transitioning after WWII from swing into pop and then rock within a bit over 10 years. Country in the same period went similarly from "hillbilly" into admitting pop/rock influences that had been there regardless since "western swing" in the 30s.

Music concepts that most affected my head? A couple folks like trumpet player Ruby Braff and Frank Sinatra and some others of various styles and instruments who basically played melody solos but embellished. Then through the years batches saloon piano and B3 players who did their own thing but basically followed the above pattern. That's basically me on guitar today, I guess, although I've done a lotta other stuff.

Guitar players? A batch of folkies of various guitar perspectives in the early 1960s in the Boston area, then college pickers you can't believe. I'm betting that over 2/3 of the boys' dorm rooms in '63 had guitars, usually acoustic, banjos, mandolins... Not so much with the girls, but there were more than a few.

So there were plenty of folks to listen to and occasionally watch. Most weren't much more than strummers. Even so, figure in those days we heard music much more than we saw it played, so you were much more on your own for technique than today when you've got the Youtubes for a lotta hints. Within a cupla years politics and the drug culture destroyed a lotta that "do it yourself music" and colleges had lotsza record players and rock bands.

Duane, yeah, Arnaz and a lot of that generation were a lot more talented than they get credit for today.

There were so many "live radio" era musicians who were fantastic at what they did that are forgotten today. That's a shame. I was privileged to listen to some of 'em, and I wish I'd taken time to try to learn more from them... some of those guys really knew the guitar neck, and more chords than you can believe nowadays, or that I've ever played.

m

Music in general? Largely the whole "thing" of music transitioning after WWII from swing into pop and then rock within a bit over 10 years. Country in the same period went similarly from "hillbilly" into admitting pop/rock influences that had been there regardless since "western swing" in the 30s.

Music concepts that most affected my head? A couple folks like trumpet player Ruby Braff and Frank Sinatra and some others of various styles and instruments who basically played melody solos but embellished. Then through the years batches saloon piano and B3 players who did their own thing but basically followed the above pattern. That's basically me on guitar today' date=' I guess, although I've done a lotta other stuff.

Guitar players? A batch of folkies of various guitar perspectives in the early 1960s in the Boston area, then college pickers you can't believe. I'm betting that over 2/3 of the boys' dorm rooms in '63 had guitars, usually acoustic, banjos, mandolins... Not so much with the girls, but there were more than a few.

So there were plenty of folks to listen to and occasionally watch. Most weren't much more than strummers. Even so, figure in those days we heard music much more than we saw it played, so you were much more on your own for technique than today when you've got the Youtubes for a lotta hints. Within a cupla years politics and the drug culture destroyed a lotta that "do it yourself music" and colleges had lotsza record players and rock bands.

Duane, yeah, Arnaz and a lot of that generation were a lot more talented than they get credit for today.

There were so many "live radio" era musicians who were fantastic at what they did that are forgotten today. That's a shame. I was privileged to listen to some of 'em, and I wish I'd taken time to try to learn more from them... some of those guys really knew the guitar neck, and more chords than you can believe nowadays, or that I've ever played.

m

[/quote']

There were two other performers I left off the list that I thought were great as well: The Lettermen and Andy Williams. My Dad took me to go see them at the Hollywood Bowl in 1973.... Talk about a great show[cool]

Duane... Yup on a lot of the folks from the pre-rock era.

More than good musicians, they were great entertainers as well, both visually and verbally as well as musically. They didn't have, nor really need, the stage production "flash" we see so much of today. Many also were pretty good business people, saw the end of the radio era, and got into work that would keep making a living. But then, that's how they survived the 1930s, too.

I hit a Clancy Bros and Tommy Makem concert in Boston the summer of '62 that still has me pickin' some of their stuff. Of course, Boston and Irish music are kinda natural.

But for me, frankly one weakness I had for playing either rock or country in those years was that it never seemed "right" to try to do a copy of a given band or solo performer regardless whether you liked the sound or not. Similar, cool, copy attempt likely to fail so why not do your own thing with the music... Anyway that was, and is pretty much my outlook.

m

Jeff Beck has probably been the greatest influence on my guitaring. He's got brilliant feeling and timing, always surprises and he's is a master at the wah-wah pedal. Highlights are the albums Truth, Blow by Blow and There and Back. Beck's Bolero is a master piece (and for anyone that doesn't know was written in 1966 and was the template for heavy rock / metal) Clicky. Another great is Beck and Page on the Yardbirds - Train kept a rollin.

Here's mine:

Jeff Beck

Mike Bloomfield

Peter Green

Thin Lizzy (with Brian Roberson; a monster guitarist and a wah-wah genius)

Blues Breakers

Steely Dan (with Larry Carlton)

Iron Maiden

Early Van Halen

Cream

Led Zep

Early AC/DC

Gary Moore

From classical music to jazz and manouche jazz up to rock...so to speak, from Bach, Handel, Domenico Scarlatti, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Mahler, Shostakovitch, Bartok..., to Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Keith Jarrett, Bill Evans, Brad Mehldau, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Herb Ellis, Charlie Byrd, Joe Pass, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Adam Rogers, Jonathan Kreisberg, Wayne Krantz, Carlos Bica, Masada, Dave Douglas, Mark Turner, Chris Potter, Roy Hargrove, Philip Catherine, Bert Joris..., and Django, Bireli Lagrène, Angelo Debarre, Tchavolo Schmitt, Les doigts de l'homme, Rosenberg Trio, Romane, Moreno, up to Led Zeppelin, QOTSA, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, The Tragically Hip, The Black Crowes and Nick Drake(and this is just the tip of the iceberg...)

Rock gods are rock gods and they are impressive, but to claim they've had any have influenced me...

As much as I love Led Zep or even Pantera, I can't hack it even a little. The rest of you impress me for even trying.

People who inspired me to play at first were those I though maybe I could possibly emulate a little.

It started with 90s pop and grunge: Duran Duran, Hole, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, STP, Smashing Pumpkins...

Then I discovered Ani DiFranco and that's been my greatest influence so far.

She made me realize I don't have to shred to earn my stripes as a guitarist.

It all started when I was five, my Mom and Dad handed down a Portable Record player to my Brother and I. With it came a stack of records including The Beatles "Please Please Me", Leon Russell "Asylum Choir", Zeppelin IV, The Doors, and BTO. Those were my earliest influences.

Then, when I was 12 my uncle said to my Dad, "Listen to this guy play Voodoo Child." to which my Dad replied, "No one but hendrix can play Voodoo Chile". Then my uncle played Stevie Ray Vaughan's version. I thought it was a pretty cool song, as i hadn't heard Hendrix's version at the time, I was of no opinion. However, What happened next changed my musical choices for the next 10 years of my life. I heard "Tin Pan Alley".

If I had to answer this question with a short list it would go

SRV

Jimmy Page

Billy Gibbons

Early Deep Purple

Rainbow (mainly the Dio years)

Ronnie James Dio (everything this giant has done...)

Black Sabbath (early years & everything else they did with Dio)

Alice Cooper (a huge musical influence and as a general attitude towards rock)

Iron Maiden (the best guitar duo in the history of metal)

(very early) Judas Priest

AC/DC

Black Crowes

The Cult

Dream Theater

Queensryche

Fates Warning

Guns and Roses

Aerosmith

Uriah Heep

Gary Moore

Rory Gallagher

Pink Floyd

Camel (how come this band doen't ever get mentioned...?)

ZZ Top

Megadeth

and I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few.

Generally, as a guitar player, I'm mainly in the blues / blues rock / classic rock / hard rock / classic metal thing...

Early Deep Purple

Rainbow (mainly the Dio years)

Ronnie James Dio (everything this giant has done...)

Black Sabbath (early years & everything else they did with Dio)

Alice Cooper (a huge musical influence and as a general attitude towards rock)

Iron Maiden (the best guitar duo in the history of metal)

(very early) Judas Priest

AC/DC

Black Crowes

The Cult

Dream Theater

Queensryche

Fates Warning

Guns and Roses

Aerosmith

Uriah Heep

Gary Moore

Rory Gallagher

Pink Floyd

Camel (how come this band doen't ever get mentioned...?)

ZZ Top

Megadeth

and I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few.

Generally' date=' as a guitar player, I'm mainly in the blues / blues rock / classic rock / hard rock / classic metal thing...[/quote']

Your the only person on this forum ive seen metion Queensryche...great ****ing band.

Genius to.

Your the only person on this forum ive seen metion Queensryche...great ****ing band.

Genius to.

Are you kidding man? One of the best metal bands ever. ''Operation Mindcrime'' is an album that should be' date=' no further questions asked, in every top-10 list in the history of metal. Too bad Chris DeGarmo left the bad, because it's all downhill for them since then... And the poor idea to have ''Operation Mindcrime II'' was... well...[drool

Are you kidding man? One of the best metal bands ever. ''Operation Mindcrime'' is an album that should be' date=' no further questions asked, in every top-10 list in the history of metal. Too bad Chris DeGarmo left the bad, because it's all downhill for them since then... And the poor idea to have ''Operation Mindcrime II'' was... well...[crying']

Yup its my top 10 metal list to.

I think its a fact its in the top 10 metal list.

They showed how a concept album should be done.

They should be in the top 10 list of bands names i keep spelling wrong. lol!

To tell you the turth Operation Mindcrime 2 was ok...

This covers the most of them...

Leo Brouwer, Bach, Brian Wilson, Logan Gabriel, William Walton, Jeff Healey, Glen Gould, Antonio Forcione, Roy Marchbank, Randy Rhoads, Seasick Steve, The Donster, Ella Fitzgerald, Matt Otten, John Barry, The Doors, Bernie Torme, Michael Lowery, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page, The Prodigy, Django Reinhardt, Earl Klugh, Vaughan Williams, Radiohead, Stravinski, Robert Johnson, Paco Pena, Jeff Beck, Messiaen, Mozart, Julian Bream, Segovia, Dio, Chelsea Constable, Motorhead, Ottis Reading, Liona Boyd, Manic Street Preachers, Lydia Ashton, Massive Attack, Oscar Peterson, Louie Armstrong, Janet Robin, Elvis, The Beatles, Chopin, Portishead, Bon Scott era AC DC, The Beach Boys, Queen, Dudley Moore, John Mclaughlan, Fred Beu, Jefferson Airplane, Berg, Metallica, Rubinstein, Howard Shore, Bonnie Raitt, Iron Maiden, Paco De Lucia, Yngwie Malmsteen, Villa-Lobos, Barrios, Joni Mitchell, Scarlatti, The Bluesbreakers, John 5, System of a Down, Robbie Williams, Johnny A, Ozzy Osbourne, REM, Nuno Bettencourt, Satie, Delius, Beethoven, Stephan Grapelli, BB King, Green Day, Madonna, Ray Charles, Frank Zappa, Chet Atkins, Brian Setzer, Gabriel Yared, Marcello Kayeth, Gary Moore, Masam dark, The Gipsy Kings, Jimi Hendrix, Clannad, Juan Martin, Cruel Folk, Robert Brown, Silas, Cream, Vivaldi, Radiohead, Peter Green, Benjamin Britten, Martin Vishnick, Steve Goss, Nirvana, Michael Kamen, John Williams, Massi, Carlos Bonell and Suzanne Sear.

Matt

Music has played a huge roll in my life since 1964. Thats right kiddies back when everything was black and white.

I tend to think of my influences as events so here goes

1. The entire family around the TV to watch Sullivan introduce The Beatles. Even those not into the band have to recognize this and how it changed the game completely.

2.Dad bought me a guitar and drums later that year.

3. My older cousin gives me her Pet Sounds album that frustrates me (musically was like nothing before) and enlightens me. (No more cars and surfin this was mature stuff). What a complete vision Brian Wilson had.

4. 1975 play first gig with first real band. (got paid woohoo!) Opening and closing number Takin Care Of Business.

75-95 Played the weekend warrior. too many bars and clubs to mention.

A short list of those I've tried to emulate and steal a lick or two.

Beatles, Beach Boys, Byrds, Chicago, Steely Dan, Eagles, Elton, Clapton, Gilmore, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis and Scotty Moore, and so many more.

Pic of my first gig ever. I'm on drums with my cousin on guitar jammin to Meet the Beatles on the HIFI, in front of family and friends. It's 1965.

firstgig.jpg

I prefer QUALITY as opposed to QUANTITY.

Mine are:

Randy Rhoads

Eddie Van Halen

Joe Pass

Wes Montgomery

Tony Iommi AND

Buckethead!

Bold ones are the biggest influence.

James Hetfield is my number one choice . Better? lol

Archived