Gibson Brands Forums

She's checking

Flight959

Got my LP Goddess out for an early morning blast and noticed the binding at the arse end has cracked... And from the cracks in the binding its climbed like spiders legs onto the guitars top making the finish check... Its minor but noticable.. I'm not bothered about it but I thought the current Nitro used in Gibsons finsh has more plastics in these days making it years if not impossible before the finish will check.... I have not idea whats caused this....

Regards

I thought the current Nitro used in Gibsons finsh has more plastics in these days making it years if not impossible before the finish will check.... I have not idea whats caused this....

Apparently not. I had the same exact thing happen to my at the time brand new Classic LP.

I was told that it could be a result of the chambering, since the wood expands and contracts more dramatically due to less density to anchor the top to.

Apparently not. I had the same exact thing happen to my at the time brand new Classic LP.

I was told that it could be a result of the chambering' date=' since the wood expands and contracts more dramatically due to less density to anchor the top to.[/quote']

If you think about it the density is the same whether it's chambered or not. The wood is the same density.

It's the mass that is reduced by chambering.

I didn't think about how chambering could cause that to happen though. Interesting if it's true.

I guess in a way since the mass is reduced while the volume remains the same it is less dense than a solid or weight relieved Paul. That sort of strays from the true definition of density though.

A gallon of water has the same density as a teaspoon of water. (1g/cu.cm)

I think it's the same... I could be wrong.

Just checked the Gibson warranty....Here is exemption number 10..

Gibson lifetime Warranty doesn't cover:

10. Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

Best I dont even bother with Gibson...

Just checked the Gibson warranty....Here is exemption number 10..

Gibson lifetime Warranty doesn't cover:

10. Cracking' date=' discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

Best I dont even bother with Gibson...[/quote']

Designed with one the most common problems with Les Pauls in mind. I've been seeing this checking issue on this forum too many times for it not to be a problem Gibson should be looking into.

i wish the finish on my main LP would check. i left the SOB outside in 10 degree weather for hours and then hit it with the hairdryer. tried it a few times....nothing. too many plasticizers in the nitro.

Hey Flight.

Finish checking was, I think, the subject of my very first post!

I had noticed some 'spiders' crawling out from under the scratchplate and discovered quite a 'nest' underneath.

Here are some snaps I took this morning of my R0, including (a poor) one of the back. The checking has advanced considerably since I first noticed it eighteen months ago...

Newcheckingfoursome.jpg

It doesn't bother me in the least.

Best wishes (and fancy a beer - or even a jam - soon?).

P.

Hey Flight.

Finish checking was' date=' I think, the subject of my very first post!

I had noticed some 'spiders' crawling out from under the scratchplate and discovered quite a 'nest' underneath.[/quote']

I dunno,if you're not bothered by it,then power to ya mate...BUT,I personally think that should NOT be happening and for Gibson to make that exempt for any consumer to contest is BS.

If I bought a new car and the paint finish started doing that,how do you think the general public would react? Do you think that the manufacturer would be able to turn their backs and let it slide?

I think not.

Gibson has a lot to answer for here,if you ask me,because this is not a one off.

"Only a Gibson is good enough"...for what and at what price[angry] Bull-fukcing-sh*t.

But...if you like the effect...[blink]

...if you like the effect...[blink]

Yes; but I only like it because it happened on the original '58 - '60 bursts......otherwise I'd be fuming!

O:)

It's probably my own fault - it seems to be happening simply because I don't protect the thing from temperature swings.

It still plays just as good as I can manage.

and yet, how many "old-to-ancient" LP's are out there, that have been exposed to everything imaginable, and still show no sign of checking at all?

old nitro/new nitro formulas,individual mixture amounts, water & sap content of the wood itsself, aging process& climate control, filling,spray booth climate, curing/sanding/respraying procedures.............

Just too many variables involved.

Archived