Gibson Brands Forums

How do YOU sit (and play)?

tw2_usa

I've been playing coming on two years now, and play a big dreadnaught resting on my right thigh, strumming with right hand. Traditional rock/folk playing position.

I've been experimenting lately holding the guitar between my legs, the more 'classical' players' position. And notice quite a bit more ease in fingering the fretboard and seems to support overall posture better, necessary for spine heath and maintaining more relaxation in playing, and for singing support. It also provides firmer overall stability which increases focus on chording and strumming, freeing that part of my brain that monitors keeping the guitar in place.

I just ordered Rhythm Guitar: The Complete Guide by Bruce Buckingham DVD (anyone familiar with this course, feel free to share comments on this post, more info at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK91T6/ref=ox_ya_oh_product) and will be starting a second wave of 'study' when it gets here, so now would be a good time to consider changing seating positions.

So, please share candid opinions. Is between the legs geeky? Any famous Rock/Folk guitarists out there who position themselves this way?

I've been playing coming on two years now' date=' and play a big dreadnaught resting on my right thigh, strumming with right hand. Traditional rock/folk playing position.

I've been experimenting lately holding the guitar between my legs, the more 'classical' players' position. And notice quite a bit more ease in fingering the fretboard and seems to support overall posture better, necessary for spine heath and maintaining more relaxation in playing, and for singing support. It also provides firmer overall stability which increases focus on chording and strumming, freeing that part of my brain that monitors keeping the guitar in place.

I just ordered Rhythm Guitar: The Complete Guide by Bruce Buckingham DVD (anyone familiar with this course, feel free to share comments on this post, more info at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK91T6/ref=ox_ya_oh_product) and will be starting a second wave of 'study' when it gets here, so now would be a good time to consider changing seating positions.

So, please share candid opinions. Is between the legs geeky? Any famous Rock/Folk guitarists out there who position themselves this way?[/quote']

On my butt?

Seriously... I've noticed lately that my chording arm is uncomfortable... I may try the between the legs position to see if it helps, but it WILL diminish my "coolness"!!!!

I always sit and play when at home. Very rarely do I use a strap and stand up unless I am gigging, then I always stand and use a strap. I am always moving the guitar around depending on what I am sitting on but mostly I am a right leg/right handed player. Classical just doesn't feel right for me.

Most of the time I just sit on my "Wide A$$" Soundseat. (That's really what it is called and my butt is much smaller since I lost 60 lbs a couple years ago! :-$

It is the most comfortable chair to play in my opinion. If I had my way, I would use one on stage and play everything sitting down. This is literally the best guitar chair made. It ain't cheap, you could probably buy a decent used guitar for what they cost, but since I am always sitting on it, it get's more use than any of my guitars individually. They even make a footrest now and I have been tempted to buy one as an add on to my chair. My wife got it for me on our anniversary about 5-6 years ago. It still looks and works like brand new. The owner is right up there with our favorite, Mr. Colosi, as well. His customer service is beyond reproach. I heard very recently that his website is saying.

SoundSeat Customers,

At this time new orders for SoundSeats are not being taken.

All warranty and repair issues should be directed to info@SoundSeat.com or call 704-636-3560.

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause our customers

I heard over at the AGF that JR, the owner, and his partner may have split ways and JR is going back on his own. I hope he does as they are great additions to any music room.

As you can see..... I'm not the only one in my family who likes it! (My wife and kids try to steal it from my music room all the time too.) #-o

PICT4079.jpg

I sit down and have one of those little footstool thingies that classical players use. That goes under my right foot. Everyone's trying to convince me to use a strap but the dern thing gets caught in my hair all the time and I hate it.

Is between the legs geeky?
Absolutely! But you need to be strong!

Seriously' date=' David Bromberg http://www.acguitar.com/media_files/articles/179/21708/21708-001.jpgwho would be cool in most anybody's book, does. Dreads, however, are not real comfy to play in that position (too long/wide). Small jumbos and grand auditoriums (like Bromberg's M42) work better. An alternative would be to play with a strap and hang the guitar over your right leg like Rev. Gary Davis/Ernie Hawkins http://www.bluesartstudio.com/komponenten2/ERNIE-HAWKINS2.jpg. Ernie preaches this set up in his workshops.

Ive tried both. Either gets me better results that the ol' folk signer shoulder hunch http://www.bluefrontbluesroom.org/Paul_Geremia.jpg. Note that a small shallow guitar (000 and smaller) makes it possible to play over the right leg without so much of a problem --if you dont mind the sound.

Everyone's trying to convince me to use a strap but the dern thing gets caught in my hair all the time

Well, there's a solution for that (waiting for shoe to drop). But I can see how attachment might stand in your way, lol. It's ok. Albert Collins didnt like straps , either

Good solid non-swiveling, non-rolling, non-reclining, four legged kitchen chair with back. Feet flat on the floor. Guit tar slung from a strap secured at butt button and shoelace tied to HS just above nut.

She swings just above lap level. No matter whether I stand or sit, the guit box is in the same position relative to my frettin' hand, strummin' hand and belly button. :-k No back aches. [cool]

If I play with your arms above your heart, i.e. slouchin' on a soft couch, I can only go 15 mins before my harms get numb and my back hurts for 2 days.

Pleas, please, please, nobody post the chair with pick holders and slide hold. [omg]

i have done nerve damage sitting on the edge of my couch playing for 2 hours at a time. i have to be very aware of what i am doing unless i want to limp for a prolonged period of time. i've heard some folks suffer for their art but this was ridiculous. i was looking for a "sound seat" but found out the company is in limbo and not manufacturing right now.

I use whatever position is most comfortable and enables me to play the best I can. To be honest, the position varies depending on my mood as well as which guitar I'm playing. My regimentation on this one is basically whatever works and doesn't get me stiff or a backache afterwards from playing.

I probably have a few positions I prefer, but haven't really paid much attention to it. I know sometimes when sitting I find sometimes I prefer to not keep the guitar parallel to my body, but rather to tip the upper part of the guitar towards me and the bottom of the guitar out a bit on an angle...it enables me to see the fretboard better, plus it just feels more comfortable at times that way. Whatever...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

i have done nerve damage sitting on the edge of my couch playing for 2 hours at a time. i have to be very aware of what i am doing unless i want to limp for a prolonged period of time. i've heard some folks suffer for their art but this was ridi****us. i was looking for a "sound seat" but found out the company is in limbo and not manufacturing right now.

You just missed a used one on one of the forums ! [biggrin]

Absolutely! But you need to be strong!

Jon you are awesome' date=' thanks for those pics - being tall the dread is okay in classical position for me. Still, it's cool to be cool, ya know...[laugh

I'm gonna try out these suggestions all, they're excellent. I do want to settle on one position, being a pretty strong believer in muscle memory, I really want to become a more advanced rhythm player and look forward to putting in some serious practice.

The sitting with a strap looks promising since it has the potential to serve as prep for standing... we'll see. Don't want to buy any chairs since I'm out at open mics pretty regularly now but who knows, maybe in a few years will be glad to have these refs (not getting any younger...[drool]) .

When I was learning Classical at school the teacher tried to get me to play in Classical positioning, but it just wasn't cool! So since then I've always played in 'normal' style, although recently I learned Fields Of Gold (Eva Casidy version) which is played capo'd on the eighth fret I think, so I found myself playing in Classical as it was easier.

a strap looks promising since it has the potential to serve as prep for standing..

This might help get a strap rig going. Rather than tying the strap around the headstock, I went down to the local hiking store and picked up a couple of small light plastic carbiners. Thread one end through a small chords or flat strap and tie it round the headstock. The other end ties on your guitar strap. You can rig all your guitars/straps that way, so when you are ready to play, just snap it on. As noted, this works both sitting and standing, position doesnt change.

Archived