Gibson Brands Forums

New Standard

mwink822

Is it just me or does it seem like a mistake that Gibson didn't keep a second neck profile, either a 60's slim-taper or a 50's round profile neck on the new Les Paul Standard in addition to the asymmetrical neck? I've played several new Standards and just don't like the new assymetrical neck profile, but love everything else about the new Standards.

Amen brothers.

I have, and can handle, a variety of neck sizes, but when dropping a load of cash on a pricey new Gibby, I would prefer to choose the neck profile I want.

Of course that's the rub with set necks - no easy changes as with a bolt on. And, if you're trying to run an assembly line scale, the less choices you offer, the more money you can make - à la Henry Ford.

I get that it's more cost effective for to produce one neck option, but come on, it's the FLAGSHIP Les Paul, and let's face it, I'm sure that there are just as many folks who would opt for non-aysemmetrical necks as there are folks who would. Hell, even PRS has two neck profiles available for their Custom 22 and Custom 24 which are their equivalent of the Les Paul Standard (insofar as being the brand's flagship guitars), what's more, they are at about the same price point as a Les Paul Standard.

1)find the guitar that feels the best to you. 2)I don't care about all the neck differences' date=' as long as the guitar feels right.

[/quote']

As to 1, hence the reason that I went with a Les Paul Custom for my most recent guitar acquisition. As to 2, doesn't the neck have a huge role in the guitar having the right feel? Just throwing it out there.

My hand adjusts to whatever neck im playing.

I have a variety at my disposal. I have a shredders neck on my Charvel, the fat 50's on my R9 and the SRV baseball bat on

my Stratocaster. One feels just as comfy as the others. Mind you, I have found over the years that my hand tires quicker

when using a slimmer neck.

I've also got a variety of neck profiles on my guitars, the 50's rounded on my Custom, the 60's slim taper on my DC Pros, something resembling a 60's slim taper on my Epi Standard, what's called a 'Wide/Fat' (between a 50's rounded and 60's slim taper) on my PRS, a thin, not quite super shredder neck on my Schecter 7 string, and a super thin Wizard Prestige shredder's neck on my Ibanez. Quite frankly my favorite necks are the 50's rounded and the PRS Wide/Fat as my hand doesn't get fatigued as fast. All that said, the common thread is they are all 'uniform' as much as a guiter neck can be. The asymmetrical neck on the new Standards, to me, just feels...off.

I've also got a variety of neck profiles on my guitars' date=' the 50's rounded on my Custom, the 60's slim taper on my DC Pros, something resembling a 60's slim taper on my Epi Standard, what's called a 'Wide/Fat' (between a 50's rounded and 60's slim taper) on my PRS, a thin, not quite super shredder neck on my Schecter 7 string, and a super thin Wizard Prestige shredder's neck on my Ibanez. Quite frankly my favorite necks are the 50's rounded and the PRS Wide/Fat as my hand doesn't get fatigued as fast. All that said, the common thread is they are all 'uniform' as much as a guiter neck can be. The asymmetrical neck on the new Standards, to me, just feels...off.[/quote']

Funny, 'cause the first thing that I loved on my 2008 Standard is the neck profile... but these concerns are pretty personal. Up to you.

Believe me' date=' it's NOT just this area that they've been "missing the mark"!

And IMHO, asymetrical necks SUCK!

[/quote']

Agreed as to the asymmetrical neck and Gibson missing the mark in other areas. I can say set up is definitely one of them.

Well, I have fat necked guitars (Lucille, and my Vintage '64 Strat), thin necked guitars

(ALL of my Rickenbackers), and almost everything in-between. Takes me very little time,

to adjust, to any of them. So, for me, that's never been an issue, really.

But...to each his/her own.

CB

Well' date=' I have fat necked guitars (Lucille, and my Vintage '64 Strat), thin necked guitars

(ALL of my Rickenbackers), and almost everything in-between. Takes me very little time,

to adjust, to any of them. So, for me, that's never been an issue, really.

But...to each his/her own.

CB[/quote']

I agree 100% CB. I have different necks all my guitars and never think about

the size. I think people are trying guitars that just don't play very well. That

leads them to think I don't like a certain sized neck. All my guitars play the

way I like them too so size doesn't matter because they all play the same.

I tried a few new Standards and when I found one that played good the neck

was not a problem.

CW

Good enough reason to bring back the Les Paul Classic with some better hardware.

I ask the by email, but the guy at Gibson replied me saying it was in the plan for now. But I'm sure it will come, soon or later and I would like it. Seems like Gibson is focusing on more modern Les Paul these days but the oldies will be back... man I sound nostalgic here !

Try this link;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard/Features.aspx

The marketing people came up with this bit of info -

"The new ergonomically-correct profile is tapered, and designed to be thicker on the bass side,

and thinner on the treble side, closely outlining the natural form of the hand as it grips the neck."

I ain't buying it, but to each their own....

567357.jpg

Does it come with a free "Border Patrol" hat?

Gotta know people to make that happen...

[blink]

Archived