Gibson Brands Forums

What song are you working on these days?????

onewilyfool

I go over these about every night....

1. Yesterday

2. Here There and everywhere

3. In my life

all by the Beatles

4. Good time Charlies got the blues

Danny Okeefe

5. Malted Milk

Robert Johnson

6. Nobody Knows you when you're down and out

Jimmy Cox

7.I can't help falling in love with you

8. Are you lonesome tonight

The King....

How about you....what's kicking???

Billy Gillian and Dave

Ruby Dave and Gillian

:-

Subu' date=' believe it or not I'm STILL waiting for Dave Rawlings Machine CD to come in up here [biggrin

Have you seen the version of Billy on The Revelator DVD? It's beautiful. My friend Larry and I were going to do that song for a talent show here last year but his dad died just days before so we never got to play it. I do love Gil and Dave's version.

I'm on a Poppy Family kick these days. You might need to be Canehdian to know those two. I'm working on:

I Thought Of You Again (3 key changes in one song!)

That's Where We Went Wrong

Good Friends ( only 2 key changes in this one thankfully)

I'm also still practicing that song by Kristen Mooney that I posted awhile back. The ex bought the CD so we're going to play it together, him doing lead bits, me playing rhythm and singing :-&

Fun thread!

I've been working on my harp guitar arrangements. My 1917 Dyer harp guitar:

2460143250033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are two, very rough recordings. In the first, I try to play the John Lennon's melody and Paul McCartney's bass line at the same time:

In My Life

In this one, I put in a walking bass line while playing the a basic blues, with variations:

Walkin' Harp Guitar Blues

So, still rough, but I fell like I'm making progress.

Good day

Working on

Charles Aznavour - Yesterday When I Was Young

Rod Stewart - I was only joking

Beatles - Yesterday

Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World

Tommy James and The Shondels - I think we are alone now

Onewilyfool - I have chord/note transcription I did of Good time Charlies got the blues and Yesterday if you are interested.

Fred

I have been playing several by Tom Waits lately. I think maybe I am just playing to entertain myself more that practicing and learning a song as of late. Worked on a few Christmas songs prior to the holiday. This thread has inspired me to pick a couple of new songs and really learn them.

I've Got A Name (Croce) and Good Riddance (Green Day). Also I'm into my second dozen original tunes, having started writing songs just over a year ago.

I'm still disappointed working on covers, always falling short of the original which always "plays along" in my head reminding me what an inferior musician I am. Occasionally I will luck into a personal rendition of something - "Let It Be" or "Tower Of Song", but any playing time I carve out goes toward creating my own music, my own personal bests that never fall short.

Also working on technique, expanding my barre chords from A and E shape to include C, G, and D shaped barre chords. This is hard! And working on orchestration and arranging in GarageBand on the mac. Perhaps when my kids get older I will have more time for other people's music.

Fun thread!

I've been working on my harp guitar arrangements. My 1917 Dyer harp guitar:

2460143250033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are two' date=' very rough recordings. In the first, I try to play the John Lennon's melody and Paul McCartney's bass line at the same time:

In My Life

In this one, I put in a walking bass line while playing the a basic blues, with variations:

Walkin' Harp Guitar Blues

So, still rough, but I fell like I'm making progress.

JT....nice guit!!!! I forgot to add....

Into the Mystic

Give me love , love , love, Crazy love

Van Morrison

I have been playing several by Tom Waits lately. I think maybe I am just playing to entertain myself more that practicing and learning a song as of late. Worked on a few Christmas songs prior to the holiday. This thread has inspired me to pick a couple of new songs and really learn them.

I just finished "Ruby's Arms." "On The Nickle" is next...his key changes are going to prove interesting. Waits is definitely challenging at times.

Archived