Gibson Brands Forums

Brake fluid on the fretboard

Blackie

So I am doing a little painting and sometimes I am kind of lazy about taping off stuff on a guitar

cause I can wipe off the overspray with some thinner.....well no thinner and time is short...I used some

brake fluid. Thought that was better than gasoline.

So I am doing a little painting and sometimes I am kind of lazy about taping off stuff on a guitar

cause I can wipe off the overspray with some thinner.....well no thinner and time is short...I used some

brake fluid. Thought that was better than gasoline.

You might oughta go ahead and use some gasoline' date=' too, just to be on the safe side. [drool

It obvious that the brake fluid is not coming out of the wood. I wonder if there is a way to neutralized the fluid with something that won't harm the wood. I would hate to hear that the brake fluid dissolved the glue under the inlays.

That's why I said to keep us posted on the results as they develop....

Brake fluid is a death sentence for any kind of paint or adhesive, and it doesn't evaporate.

If it does, it's very, very slowly.

Basically, you have to find a way to remove it if you want it gone.

Hence the purpose of brake cleaner, it's some mighty powerful (and ugly) stuff itself...

If the brake fluid soaks into the wood and gives you a cool tint, okay then.

Like I said, keep us posted.

[confused]

It obvious that the brake fluid is not coming out of the wood. I wonder if there is a way to neutralized the fluid with something that won't harm the wood. I would hate to hear that the brake fluid dissolved the glue under the inlays.

I only wiped the overspray off .........not like I threw the guitar in a vat of fluid..........

I only wiped the overspray off .........not like I threw the guitar in a vat of fluid..........

I read that it can be removed with mild household detergent and water. The problem, as I understand it, is that it may have already seeped in around the edge of the fretboard, as well as the inlays. If it came in contact with any binding there's a chance it will be affected. Wiping it down and rinsing it off at this point would remove residual brake fluid but do little to stop any side effects. You'll know what they are within 12 - 24 hours.

Archived