Gibson Brands Forums

Strap-locks - What's your favourite?

bluenote

So, my Strat has Schaller strap-locks, and I really like them, except recently they started to squeak a little bit which is not a big deal, but is a bit annoying sometimes.....nothing a little lubricant wouldn't fix....

My LP Studio has Dunlops, they are great too. Actually to me, they seem a little more robust in design, with less chance of loosening up with many cycles of strap on-off, on-off..... (because of the spring-clip, -no nut to thread on and vibrate loose).

Now I have my new ES-339 with the stock strap buttons, and I want to swap out for strap-locks.

Which do you guys think is best?

Oh, there's been plenty of polls ran on this and any other forum.

At least two or three a year on average.

:D

They've been working fine for me for about 4 years. (knock-on-wood)

I got 20 years with the Schallers' date=' on probably 30 guitars.

Everybody I gig with uses them too.

Gave up knocking on wood about 19 years ago.

Nothing wrong with choosing something different, but I'm at a loss to understand why...

[biggrin

I like both. So far the only thing I can see that might be a plus for the Dunlops is that if you forget your strap and have to borrow one with no locks, the Dunlop has a bigger flared button to retain a regular strap.........the Schaller is kind of small.

I forget lots of stuff......better get the Dunlops!

I don't really have a favorite. I have Dunlops on two, Ernie Ball on one and I've used a Steinberger that was Schaller equipped. The finish (brass) rubs off the Dunlops in no time at all but they don't have any operational issues. Schallers are a bit difficult to unlock due to their smallness but, again, that's really a small knock. The Ernie Balls, although very attractive and functional, are also a bit difficult to unlock for much the same reason; the buttons are fairly small.

Schallers have a full proof design. They are nearly impossible to unlock by accident. Dunlops can accidentally be released by bumping against something.

Great point. Never thought of that. I was thinking about trying a set of those but the locking mechanism seemed like it could easily come undone. Now that you mention that possibility, I am definitely buying a 5th set of Schallers.

Archived