Gibson Brands Forums

Doug Fieger RIP

Lowdown

Serious Fun - a must have for any Knack fan.

Mrs. Neo and I drove into town for dinner and a few errands this evening' date=' so I grabbed a couple discs.

[b']Get The Knack[/b] and Serious Fun.

Been awhile since I'd listened to them, so while we were on the road we went thru both discs.

Get The Knack sounds old with the production from the seventies, maybe on purpose.

I remembered how Beatle-esque they sounded on a few songs - I'm sure it was intended.

Good stuff anyway, and it's what they were most known for.

By the time Don Was produced Serious Fun for them a dozen years later, it was a whole new ballgame.

That album is SO under rated, and unfortunately even many Knack fans don't know it even exists.

It ROCKS.

Great guitar work, lotsa big ripping Les Paul, HUGE drums, great songs, angelic harmonies, good party stuff.

A few of the songs are more bouncy/dancy type stuff but its a great album front to back.

They did a few more in later years, I bought Normal As The Next Guy and Zoom, and they weren't as good.

I mean if you're a Knack fan, like Feiger's voice, or Averre's blazing guitar work then get 'em.

But Serious Fun is indeed a must-have for any Knack fan.

Will start looking for that.

Yeah '79,what a year - KISS were HUGE in Oz then while gasping their last breaths in the US. I was in heaven - Ace and that 3 pup ebony custom. Yeah.

The Cars - Lets Go exploded them onto the scene here(how long's it been since Ben Orr's been gone now? Another)

Disco was being devoured by the buzzards.

My Sharona - that riff and mid 8 just wiped the floor clean and continues to this day. I still haven't grown sick of hearing that song after all these years.

Good Girls Don't...yeah very Beatles influenced.Even dressed the part.Doug even played a Ric too.

Yep,will have to get that. Thanx for the heads up.

I remember I posted a clip here of Good Girls Don't a while ago and it got very little love [cool]

I haven't listened to Get The Knack probably since 1980 something. But I remember there was a song I really liked called Monkey On My Back, or something like that, about Siamese Twins. Even as a 11 year old kid I thought it seemed very "dark". Like one twin was wishing the other would die. Maybe it was some kind of metaphor :-k

I remembered how Beatle-esque they sounded on a few songs - I'm sure it was intended.

It was short lived, but there was a bit of media hype in the summer of '79 about the 'Get the Knack' album and how it sold X copies in the first week, and although I don't specifically recall what was said, there was more than one attempt at drawing a parallel between the Knack and the early Beatles.

And the Capitol label used for that album was very close to the old black Capitol label as used on the early Beatles releases. It had been years since that label was used. Coincidence?

Archived