Gibson Brands Forums

I solved the buzz!

albertjohn

I've had an annoying buzz on my SWD. Most pronounced when strumming capod at 5.

I had previously checked the string seating, tuners, truss rod cover, checked for loose frets. No obvious sign of where it was coming from except it "sounded like" it was coming from the headstock, but then again it was the body? Or the fretboard? Arggghhhhhhhhh!!

I was getting rather annoyed by the whole thing especially as it seemed it was only me who could hear it.

Last night, while changing strings, I solved the buzzing problem.

Can you guess what it was?

I am going to say a ball end not seated correctly and buzzing under the bridge plate. Those dang buzzes sound like they are coming out of everyplace. That is why I use an automotive mirror with an extending handle to check the ball ends now when changing strings.

Am I right?!?!? Huh, huh... am I right?!?!?!?! [cool]

Was it a piece of an old string on a tuner that you had accidentally left there the last time you changed your strings?

Was it a worn string with loose windings?

Was it a cockroach living inside your guitar?

You're off to check for leprechauns? That would be great for the upcoming St. Patricks' Day fun' date=' so here's some advice on capturing it should you find one -

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/leprechauns/a/030501a.htm

[/quote']

It says in the article that leprechauns are, by tradition, shoemakers.

I say cobblers.

Beware!

I was always told it was bad luck to evict a leprechaun from your guitar or its case. If they feel they have been wronged, they curse you, and do all kinds of mischief, including loosening fretwire, inlays, and tuner nuts and buttons, putting debris in nut slots and old pieces of string in tuning peg holes, lifiting the edge of the pickguard, etc.

You have been warned!

Red 333

Archived