Gibson Brands Forums

Puppy advice

EVOL!

After a year of my wife begging and searching for the right dog, we got a puppy on Saturday. She is a two month old Boston Terrier. Our little dog is cute as hell and we have started the basic training, specifically house training her. We are going the crate training route.

Anyone here raise a dog from this and have any tips or advice? After an accident on the floor yesterday, I learned to take her out 5 minutes after she eats. Is two months too young for walks? When I take her out she does her business and wants to go right back inside. It's cold here in Chicago, but not arctic cold. Should I try carrying her down the street and letting her walk back on the leash?

Obedience classes will start in the spring after she's fulfilled her vaccination requirements. Mid summer she'll get fixed.

I consider myself to be a novice dog trainer....owned a bunch and there are MANY ways you can do things....you need to try many things til you find what works with your dog.

Some basics....at the beginning, take the dog out to potty every 2 hours....if he pup has an accident, make sure they know it was wrong (you actually don't have to yell at your dog for them to know) and get them outside ASAP....make sure they do something outside before you come in. (Or else the dog thinks its playtime)

If your dog plays a bunch after drinking some water, take it out.

Walks...never too young...dogs are pack animals and want to walk. Just don't overdo it....watch your dog for the signs of being tired. I would not recommend every picking up your dog. They get used to it real fast. Then they don't use their legs much.

Its all about how you are with the dog...if you want it to walk, square your shoulders and GO....don't slow down if the dog doesn't want to come with you...you're the boss. Just walk....(if your dog is stubborn like my first one was, you may end up almost dragging it a bit - don't do that....most will get the point when you just GO)

Feel free to PM me with moe specific questions if you'd like. I have two dogs...one an angel and the other could be Satan come to earth...but he's way better now. [drool]

We use paw friendly "Salt" on our property....one of my dogs is sensitive to regular salt...its hurts! You could clear a path for him/her....

I never recommend picking up your dogs....its reinforces their state of mind at the time and can cause some pretty serious attachment issues. Like I said, many ways to do things....you'll have to try different techniques til you find what works with your pup.

Rich - I don't mean to say you're wrong - its just my personal view on it.

Actually, here's a funny video of my dogs that I didn't even know what on the internet....our training school we worked with filmed one of the classes where we did some agility stuff....fun!!

(Not my music)

Thanks for the advice.

My coworker mentioned that rock salt burns their pads. Right now the snow has melted off of the front walk and is clear of salt so no worries there.

I'll try leading her by leash tonight. My fear was that she'd pee in the house before making it out the door. Female puppies are peeing machines. Can't wait for obedience classes. A happy dog is a well behaved one (at least I think so). Plus I want to teach here the standard tricks like shaking and rolling over.

Be prepared for a hyper dog. My maw-in-law has 2. Spastic as hell. A co-worker has one. Spastic as hell. A neighbor has one. You see where I'm going.

A mean but effective trick to stopping a dog from going in the house it to make them eat tobasco sauce where they had the accident. I did this trick 3x on my pug (spastic as hell) and it works real good.

Gratz the new dog!!!

(But it's just another unicorn without pics /chuckle)

Great advice here, but be aware that if you take your dog out "until they do something", you two are likely to be there for a couple of hours.... you'll be waiting until they need to go again. The trick is to take them out, give them the command (oddly enough, we tell ours "Go potty"). If they don't do it, don't fuss, just pick them up and take them back inside. If they DO... then LOTS of praise! (We even clap our hands and cheer "Yay Lexi!")

We've just house broken 2 poodles... one was a 5 year old kennel dam used to going anywhere she pleased. Simply letting them know it was not cool ("Who did this?!?!" in a stern voice worked for us) then taking her outside has worked wonders. Admittedly, though, we have a couple of pretty smart dogs...

Good luck!

Good job on the puppy, My only suggestion is to crate her soon. Dogs love the sense of their

own space and although it maybe difficult at times to leave a puppy in a cage, I think most

Vets will agree its best for them and your furniture.

My Vets have always recommended them.

Also a city dog can get a disease from being in close proximity to other animals urine and feces, I am not sure what its called

but your vet will know.

Also a city dog can get a disease from being in close proximity to other animals urine and feces' date=' I am not sure what its called

but your vet will know.

[/quote']

Giardia. My dogs get it all the time from drinking from muddy puddles!

And ChanMan, I agree about praising the hell outta the dog when it does go potty. When I mentioned waiting outside til they do something, i meant that for when you catch them mid-pee and you grab them and they stop....hehe

I could have been more clear there...

Lots of great advice here for you evol...have fun, that puppy will make you laugh so hard, so many times!!!

Its not a shot...(at least thats not what we get)...its an antibiotic liquid that you shoot down their throats....lol

Sounds messy...and is sometimes if your dog doesn't co-operate...lol. Giardia sucks, but if you gotta dog in the city, its GOING to get it. (Unless it does not leave your house)

My breeder told me when I got my Corgi that the rule of thumb she uses is how old they are in months is how long they can "hold it". So, at 2 months, they should be going out every 2 hours, 3 months every 3 hours, etc. Also, they should go outside pretty much right after they eat.

I also used the crate method and she loved it. It was her safe haven when she was scared, tired, or when the nieces and nephews came over.

Congratulations on the new puppy, they sure are fun. And we need pictures.

And ChanMan' date=' I agree about praising the hell outta the dog when it does go potty. When I mentioned waiting outside til they do something, i meant that for when you catch them mid-pee and you grab them and they stop....hehe

I could have been more clear there...

[/quote']

I was pretty sure that was what you referred to, but there was sooo much wiggle room there and I had this mental picture of Evol out in 3 feet of snow, just waiting... [biggrin]

We've been told that dogs can get worms and such from just smelling where other dogs "went"... so regular vet check ups are a good idea, too.

And have it fixed young.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

[biggrin]#-o #-o

if it has legs make it walk.. doesnt matter if its a dog cat or kid. its one of my pet hates (pardon the pun) but i get so peed off when i see people carrying animals around, especially dogs.

Congrats

I reinforce an earlier post.....take it outside regularly, wait (patiently) until something happens, Praise Praise Praise (with a treat) and then let the dog back in.

It wont take long. Dont wait till you feed the dog. Take it out every hour.

I wouldnt let it mix with other dogs until your vet says you can - usually 12 weeks and after all his/her shots.

Oh......and PHOTOS!!!! LOTS OF PHOTOS!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

[bored]#-o #-o

if it has legs make it walk.. doesnt matter if its a dog cat or kid. its one of my pet hates (pardon the pun) but i get so peed off when i see people carrying animals around' date=' especially dogs.[/quote']

One of my pet peeves is folks who get pissed when I hold and carry my dogs, cats or kids.

Small world, huh?

gigi1_r_2.jpg

Congrats one the new family member. Sounds like you got a lot of great

advice. I will add get some chew sticks to break the chewing on everything

that will fit in there mouth as puppies syndrome. Just keep an eye on the

puppy and when they go to chew substitute the chew stick right away and

they learn quickly. This will also save you from some aggravation.

I was blessed with the puppy that's my avatar never went in the house once.

Has always gone to the door. She's 6 months old now My Shorthair wasn't

so easy. Pic's and good luck.

CW

Congrats on the puppy - You can't beat a good dog for a friend I have a Jack Russel Terrier that's been with me for 13 years and goes almost everywhere with me he likes walking but I gotta watch him he's little but aggressive and he bites people, dogs, cats whatever if it's not me the wife or our bull terrier he bites. the worms scare me so our pups get a worm pill every month they look like bullion cubes and must taste good the dogs love them. other than that good food fresh water and there good to go.

My #1 word of advice is to break the dog of jumping up on people now. Its cute when their puppies' date=' but when my 100+ pound rot/boxer mix puts his paws on my shoulders for a hello kiss, its really not very cute anymore. [/quote']

I used to have a Great Dane who used to do this to me. A 100 plound lap dog. She was the best natured dog I've had, particularly with children, but she never really understood that she should not welcome strangers this way! Bless her.

And I never carried her on walks.

1 tip. Dogs hate the sound of rolled up newspaper. I would never suggest it should be used to beat a dog, but they hate the sound and all mine have got the message very quickly.

I used to have a Great Dane who used to do this to me. A 100 plound lap dog. She was the best natured dog I've had' date=' particularly with children, but she never really understood that she should not welcome strangers this way! Bless her.

And I never carried her on walks.

1 tip. Dogs hate the sound of rolled up newspaper. I would never suggest it should be used to beat a dog, but they hate the sound and all mine have got the message very quickly.[/quote']

Great Danes - the gentle giants and angels of doggie world

Archived