Gibson Brands Forums

who's actually...

fast fret

I have. Several years ago and I did not care much but I've never been big on LPs. But speaking of the evil Fenders, I saw a couiple of pictures of the guy who flew his plane into the IRS office in Austin in which he is playing Fenders, one is a bass and the other looks like a Tele. I'm not making a "connection" because I like my Tele, I'm just pissed because that will give Fenders an even more evil image.

One of the guitar players in the other local band in town I lived in growing

had one. It was a dark burst and I played it a couple of times when our

band would get on stage and do a couple numbers. It's wasn't anything

great or worth the money they pay for them. He sold it and bought one

on the first Historics I believe the called them back then. I give him a hard

time everytime I see him.

CW

A short while before last Xmas the ex-Mick Taylor '59 was going up for auction in London.

One of Roger G Lewis' mates had an item in the same auction and a couple of other Brits who went along with Roger had a chance to try it out.

I haven't had the chance to ask Flight his opinion but I seem to remember that Matt Sear said it was the best electric he had ever played.

A short while before last Xmas the ex-Mick Taylor '59 was going up for auction in London.

One of Roger G Lewis' mates had an item in the same auction and a couple of other Brits who went along with Roger had a chance to try it out.

I haven't had the chance to ask Flight his opinion but I seem to remember that Matt Sear said it was the best electric he had ever played.

That might just have been the awesomeness of playing a real 1959 LP that tricked his mind into thinking it was the best guitar he ever picked up... Now if you say it was the most valuable guitar he has ever played that's for sure....

About 30 years ago, my best friend's older brother had a Gold Top Les Paul. Don't know what year it was but it was awesome. Played like butter, heavier than any other LP I've ever played. He had it for a long time, so it must have been one of the heralded ones.

Yep I have.... I went with Roger and Matt....

It was the most expensive things I have ever held in my hands....(except a 250K solid gold mobile telephone encrusted with stones stolen from a burglary) Was it worth the price... I dunno... Played nice and I was pleased to say it had the same amout of buzz as my reissue.... I loved the finish on it...looked amazing!

Was a real privilage..... Thanks to Roger!

IMG_2421.jpg

Regards

Closest I've come is the '57 Frampton-esque Custom that was for sale locally in 1976 for $750. (yeah, I cringe at that too. They said he was crazy because "you can buy a NEW one for less than that!") Either that or the '55 gold top I briefly owned. I was able to A/B compare the '55 to my '71 sandwich body Norlin. The Norlin won.

To be honest, for me it was the nostalgia surrounding the guitar. I haven't played enough guitars to really pass judgement on how well it played but then, she sure felt good but then is that down to that fact that these guitars are considered to be the holy grail..... I dont know....

Never heard her plugged in...

Regards

I had the chance to play a 1960 Plaintop that was so badly butchered mod-wise, that I walked away from that experience massively disappointed. The bridge pickup appeared to be a T.V. Jones type found on Gresctch (sp?) guitars, and what appeared to be a D' Marzio pickup in the neck, and a small toggleswitch by the volume pots, and that guitar hummed worse than a Strat. That's as close as I ever got to a '59...too bad it wasn't stock, probably woulda sounded pretty good, it weighs a ton. I keep telling the guy to maybe try to restore it, can't possibly mess it up worse than it already is.

Archived