Gibson Brands Forums

Must have stock for a dealer

modoc_333

ok, i work for a Gibson dealer and they trust my opinion [biggrin] we need to order a few Gibson acoustics. we have gotten PAINFULLY low on Gibby stock in the acoustic room. i am looking for opinions though....... there are certain guitars that simply MUST be on the wall. a J45 is a great example. you just aren't a Gibson acoustic dealer without a J45. what else though? i don't need 10 billion. i don't mean to ask you guys what crazy guitars you would love to see. what i'm looking for is a list of "must have" guitars that any respectable Gibson dealer should have. right now we are "and i'm ashamed" only down to 5. they are:

J45 standard

SJ200 standard

Koa SW Deluxe

J165RW

custom maple hummingbird

what else should a dealer have? i have some ideas (hummingbird, TV J45, AJ) but what else do you EXPECT to see in a shop?

i dunno, i thought the hummingbird artist was an awesome guitar, it came and went, followed by the hummingbird pro, which just misses imho. obviously, these are gc only models, and if that's a limitation i'd modify the color of the artist a bit toward walnut, less honey (a bit too feminine I thought), call it a custom if need be, and have one of those in the lineup [blush]

It looks as though you're on the right track. My suggestions would be:

1. J-45's (rosewood and mahogany)

2. SJ-200's

3. Hummingbirds

4. Some small bodies (Blues Kings, Robert Johnsons, Arlo Guthries)

5. Southern Jumbos

6. Some of the True Vintage line

7. Doves

8. SongWriters

9. maybe an SJ-300

10. couple of "signature" models

*with the purchase of these, you'll at least have the folks on this Forum stopping in!

It looks as though you're on the right track. My suggestions would be:

1. J-45's (rosewood and mahogany)

2. SJ-200's

3. Hummingbirds

4. Some small bodies (Blues Kings' date=' Robert Johnsons, Arlo Guthries)

5. Southern Jumbos

6. Some of the True Vintage line

7. Doves

8. SongWriters

9. maybe an SJ-300

10. couple of "signature" models[/b']

*with the purchase of these, you'll at least have the folks on this Forum stopping in!

this looks good. i had forgotten about the J45RW. good call! we have the 200, and the hummingbird is getting ordered. we have never done too well with the smaller bodies in my neck of the woods, but i agree at least one is important to have. i love the Southern Jumbo, but without a "regular" version, i need to figure out which would be best. the TV line i love. i'm scared of Doves! lol. an expensive guitar that i don't really hear people lusting over. Songwriters are always an easy sale. that SJ300.... i would LOVE one, but man that is a pricey guitar! perhaps. the signature models can be cool, but sell poorly. instead, we have been buying a lot short runs (1 of 10, or 1 of 20 type things.) these have done VERY well for us!

thanks for the suggestions guys! now i just need to talk the buyer into it. [cool] shouldn't be too hard though. he's a real guitar lover!

Dove Dove Dove!!

They aren't the most common Gibson acoustic and they tend to sell quickly IMHO.

My local guitar emporium occasionally has a Dove come into stock, and it's rarely on the shelf for more than a week...a real eye-catching guitar which sounds great too.

So:

Dove

J45 (Mahogany)

Hummingbird

SJ200

Blues King/L00 of some sort

Songwriter Deluxe (or whatever they're called these days)

CJ165 RW

you cover all bases there, Hog, RW, Maple, Parlour, Dread, Slope, Jumbo.

My advice would be don't get into limited editions and out-of-the-box models just yet. Keep it classic.

i am looking for opinions though....... there are certain guitars that simply MUST be on the wall. a J45 is a great example. you just aren't a Gibson acoustic dealer without a J45.

what else should a dealer have? i have some ideas (hummingbird' date=' TV J45, [b']AJ[/b]) but what else do you EXPECT to see in a shop?

Yup, IMO the Advanced Jumbo has to be there. And maybe a J-185...

[cool]

The guitars that I see as quintessential Gibsons with the largest appeal are those that Gibson themselves chose for their True Vintage line. If I were a Gibson dealer, I would probably chose amongst those models for my "base inventory". (Mind you, I don't mean TV models specifically, rather the J45, SJ200, Hummingbird, SJ and J-185 models in general whether you choose a TV version or not.) In addition, if I were able to add more models to the mix I would probably be inclined to include an AJ, one of the Songwriter models and perhaps a L-00.

That said, it would seem as a dealer that Gibson should be able to provide you with sales figures for their various models. What appeals to me personally probably isn't totally in sync with the rest of the world. Existing sales data (specific to your particular region) might be your most beneficial source of information.

Good luck with your decision!

Guth

i like these ideas. we have been a Gibson dealer for a long time. so, i also have our own store's sales history to work with here. i like hearing from people on the other side of the counter too though.... it's a new perspective. for us, those special runs have done better than anything. we sell a lot of J45s, Hummingbirds, and SW deluxes too. i just don't want to miss anything important! thanks again, and keep the ideas coming. :-

Gotta have a couple J-185s. Maybe a standard and a CE.

Probably not a must-stock, but the Songmaker Grand Concert is a really cool guitar, and a definite departure from the well-known Gibsons.

And of course, you've got to stock several of these:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Aaron-Lewis-Southern-Jumbo.aspx

well they let me add 6 more to what we have on the wall. i used a mixture of your suggestions, and our own store's sales history. i think it will be a step in the right direction. thanks guys! i was able to convince our buyer to pick up one or 2 that he normally wouldn't go for just b/c i was able to prove to him that the customers (regular people on this forum) want them! thanks again!

well they let me add 6 more to what we have on the wall. i used a mixture of your suggestions' date=' and our own store's sales history. i think it will be a step in the right direction. thanks guys! i was able to convince our buyer to pick up one or 2 that he normally wouldn't go for just b/c i was able to prove to him that the customers (regular people on this forum) want them! thanks again![/quote']

Where is your store located? Name? If I'm ever down your way, I'll stop in and loiter for awhile! [biggrin]

i wasn't sure if it was really ok to mention..... but i will since you asked. i would like to stress something first though: i joined this forum b/c it was the ONLY place on the web that i could find people who not only shared my love of Gibson acoustics, but also were very knowledgeable about them..... AND great people to associate with. just a fine bunch of folks. also, i really did start this thread just to get an idea of what people out there wanted. too often our decisions have come down to my own personal preferences, or purely a review of our sales history. i felt that was putting us into a corner and surely making us miss out on some great stuff (and customers). that being said........... i work for Bailey Brothers Music in Birmingham, AL. we have a a store in Montgomery, and 2 in Birmingham. i work at the Hwy 280 location. (our largest). we are big enough to get good deals and have some influence, but still run by one guy (one of the original 2 brothers. unfortunately, the othe passed away about 4 years ago.). swing through and say hello if you are in town. you can send me a message on the forums if you are coming and we can make sure i'm there. if it's a surprise, then just go to the front counter and tell them you want to talk to "the Gibson guy". they will laugh and call me to the front! LOL [crying]

Archived