Gibson Brands Forums

Slash's first solo single now streaming

mcmurray

Sounds like Andrew S. has either gotten a lot better vocal wise (as he should by now) or he's been produced (which I'm sure he has) which wouldn't surprise me seeing it's Slash's new solo baby.

Shame if that's the case,as I would like to think it's Andrew's vocal line.

Who knows...

Would be interesting to hear the rest of the album.

Thanx for that Mc.

Well, I like that. He's got a real cool Clean but Heavy thing goin' on with his tone. Very Zeppelin-esque without offending this longtime Zep-head. Love the dissonant chording on the bridge before the Solo.

If the rest of the album works that well, it could be better than Chickenfoot.

Sounds like Andrew S. has either gotten a lot better vocal wise (as he should by now) or he's been produced (which I'm sure he has)

Yo man...do you mean produced as in Studio Trickery like Autotune etc? Or simply someone telling him what to sing and how to sing it? hehehe

http://www.spinner.com/2010/02/26/slash-by-the-sword-feat-andrew-stockdale-song-premiere/2#comments

If the rest of the album is anything like this' date=' it's destined to rock... hard.

Australia's Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother is on lead vocals.[/quote']

I'm sure you've heard Sahara

What about Mother Maria?

That one's very cool.

I don't know if it is on the album though I think it was for 'Download For Haiti'

All right now!!! That's what I'm talking about! Finally, some true rock!

I liked the mood / feeling of the whole song, the riff, the vocals (I don't know if that makes sense, but I think that no American could ever sing like that...), the wah in the solo (yeah, I'm a fool for wah, I can't get enough of it)...

Let's hope that it's not the best part of the album, though... I wish that the rest keeps up, at least.

Thanks for posting this McMurray![cool]

Didn't like it at all when I first heard it some days ago, but it's grown on me. I've actually listened to it about 8-10 times today. It keeps getting better.

Pre-ordered the album as of now. If the rest of it stays as kick-*** as this track, it IS going to be epic.

I always forget to listen to lyrics the first few time around, always listening to the melody, rhythm, and such. I'll have to listen again.

There are songs I've been listening to my whole life and I never knew the lyrics. [biggrin]

Yo man...do you mean produced as in Studio Trickery like Autotune etc? Or simply someone telling him what to sing and how to sing it? hehehe

The latter.

Although' date='you'd be surprised how many established vocalists use AT (albeit nowhere near like the crud that those "vocalists" who claim to be [i']R&B[/i] use and claim it is just an effect,but rest assured "they really can sing"...not.

It's very subtly used,but still there.[-(

Lowdown, Stockdale is credited as co-writer for this song so I highly doubt he was told exactly what and how to sing. If I had to guess, I'd say Slash let him have free reign regarding vocals/lyrics.

Hmmmm...

Well, I have a different way of gauging stuff like this.

If somebody said "Hey, check out this new band..." I would recognize Stockdale immediately.

"Hey, is that the guy from Wolfmother?" He is unique, like him or not.

Then I would want to know who played guitar - that's good stuff with all the dynamics.

As mentioned above, it sounds like the chords took at least an extra few minutes to put together.

If during the solo I thought to myself "Sounds like Slash here" then I might have nailed it - I dunno.

Not a huge fan of Stockdale's voice, but the song is certainly worthy of Slash's signature.

As far as crediting Stockdale, I'm betting he tried A, B, C, D, and threw a bunch of stuff up until Slash said OK.

He might have written the lyrics, and kept writing and writing and writing until Slash liked what he heard.

It's Slash's product we're talking about here, and he's no dummy.

I'd like to think though, that he's maybe smart enough to give singers some room to work to get their best.

How else could he have lived with a little cxnt like Axl all those years?

Let's hear the rest of the album!

Hehe.

You doubt too much Mc.

Andrew Stockdale sounds like Mickey Mouse having a panic attack when he sings,to me.

As I said,he's finally learnt to restrain himself or..."that's terrific Andrew. But what about trying something like this"...

Still,musta been one hell of a rush to have Saul call him up and ask,huh.

I always forget to listen to lyrics the first few time around' date=' always listening to the melody, rhythm, and such. I'll have to listen again.

There are songs I've been listening to my whole life and I never knew the lyrics. [biggrin

Same here. I really dug that song. Solo was nice how it builds up, (Hector, I'm a fool for Wah too [biggrin] )

I'm not a huge fan of Slash, but I liked it. Looking forward to the rest of the album

Archived