Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on carbon composites

fortyearspickn

Ran across a Composite Accoustic in a small shop- tried it and was very impressed. Kind of ugly finish reminded me of the spray on bed liner in my pickup. But they are apparently indestructible and unaffected by high or low humidity. But the tone was the first thing that impressed me. Second was the $1500 price tag. Has any one had experience with one of these?

Being a lefthanded player I have not been able to truly put a CA guitar through it's paces, but I have fiddled around with them to the extent that I can with an upside down instrument. I must agree they are quite impressive. Rich, full-bodied tone one would not expect from synthetic materials.........very impressive indeed. I have listened to some very good players on a full-depth dreadnaught and thin bodied cutaway models and my ears tell me these are very fine, solid wood construction guitars. My eyes tell me otherwise. Completely synthetic and not subject to the effects of humidity nor temperature (short of a bonfire). The tone of such instruments is a good sign for the future of guitar building as quality woods become scarcer.

Hang on to your lumber.

Ran across a Composite Accoustic in a small shop- tried it and was very impressed. Kind of ugly finish reminded me of the spray on bed liner in my pickup. But they are apparently indestructible and unaffected by high or low humidity. But the tone was the first thing that impressed me. Second was the $1500 price tag. Has any one had experience with one of these?

MacNichol Guitars is holding a CA Guitars liquidation sale if your interested, they are blowing them out starting around $899.00.

They sure have a lot of fans. I haven't tried one, in fact, I haven't even seen one up here, but then I haven't been looking either. I STILL can't justify spending $1500.00 for plastic. I just can't. That being said, my ex has an old old OLD Ovation that sounds amazing. It's got a badly cracked solid spruce top and a Tupperbowl back, and it sounds like no other guitar I know.

I got to play two when I was in NYC.

First: The "Cargo" guitar.

It's a travel guitar first off so dont be expecting a full sized dread. It sounded very very nice for its size, I havent played a travel acoustic that has matched it. The tone is very mellow, round, warm etc. It sounded great. The neck was rather small for my hand but it still played really well.

The full sized acoustic (cant remember the name).

Played very well, the tone wasnt hugely different from the cargo. It sounded very nice, just a bit "twangier" than the cargo guitar. Still very pleasant on the ears.

They're great guitars in my opinion, and yes the grey color could be improved upon but its the sound that matters most.

On the down side, their sound will never change because there's nothing to age. On the plus side, they'll never age....

I have a friend who swears by his. It plays well, sounds decent and is virtually indestructible. He knows because he once accidentally flung it across the room (moral of the story: always make sure your gig bag is zippered closed before heaving the gig bag onto your shoulder) and he broke loose an internal brace and that was it. A wooden guitar would've been in pieces.

Personally, I've never liked the sound of composite guitars. And part of the fun of owning a wood guitar is hearing its sound change and improve over time.

Archived