Gibson Brands Forums

Your amps

Silenced Fred

Ever tried hooking up the boogie via 4 cable method?

No' date=' I haven't. Partly because I only have three cables [biggrin, partly because I've never fully understood the benefits, and partly because I like using some of the amp models as overdrive pedals.

Have you? What did you think?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get something based on the power rating that says "earthquake inducing"

You got a problem with earthquake inducing ? [biggrin] j/k

I almost bought one of the Marshall class 5's until I heard they were having problems with them. Once they get the bugs worked out I will probably get one.

No' date=' I haven't. Partly because I only have three cables [blush'], partly because I've never fully understood the benefits, and partly because I like using some of the amp models as overdrive pedals.

Have you? What did you think?

I wired my MESA Mark IIC+ via 4 cable w/ the GT 10 once in a while, kinda cool.

It gives you the ability to use the real MESA pre-amp if you needed to.

Or.... you can use one or two Amp sims in Dual Mono or real MESA Pre + Sims

in combo parallel setting + bunch of effects. But right now just using the Mark II + GT 10

plug in front and using effects only.

P1050394.jpg

P1040470.jpg

P1040729.jpg

My baby: A Slivertone 1484 w/ matching 2x12 cab. Cab has Jensen "made in Chicago" blue label speakers

l_ec46f6a1ce9f87a872f1bee0947bc9f5.jpg

My backup is a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and for practice I have a Silvertone 1448 amp in case. Yes' date=' they are all tube.

[/quote']

How do those sound? And about what price are they? I have always kinda been interested by them

My baby: A Slivertone 1484 w/ matching 2x12 cab. Cab has Jensen "made in Chicago" blue label speakers

l_ec46f6a1ce9f87a872f1bee0947bc9f5.jpg

My first amp was an all-tube Silvertone Twin Twelve combo. It had the best tone. I wish I still had it.

Now, I'm playing through a Fender Blues Jr., I've just picked up an old Magnatone PA-297-3, and, I talked a friend out of his Little Lanilei .25 watt.

I do still have my little Pignose, too. OINK, OINK!

You got a problem with earthquake inducing ? #-o j/k

I almost bought one of the Marshall class 5's until I heard they were having problems with them. Once they get the bugs worked out I will probably get one.

No. Not at all.

But the Boss and the neighbours do.[wink]

The C5's shipping now are rattle free.

Just be wary of some who are trying to offload rattlers for a cheaper price though...though,if you know what you're doing and wanna fix it yourself (Marshall have posted a how-to) go ahead.:-

evol

Are you in distress of some kind or just disrespecting the flag?

I think maybe the cab is upside down' date=' not the flag.

Get yourself a nice symetrical flag - then no-one can be in distress...!

Well spotted retrosurfer1959!

[biggrin

I wired my MESA Mark IIC+ via 4 cable w/ the GT 10 once in a while' date=' kinda cool.

It gives you the ability to use the real MESA pre-amp if you needed to.

Or.... you can use one or two Amp sims in Dual Mono or real MESA Pre + Sims

in combo parallel setting + bunch of effects. But right now just using the Mark II + GT 10

plug in front and using effects only.

[/quote']

That's cool. But the GT-6 doesn't have that much flexibility. I'd have the Mesa Pre-amp for both pre amp and overdrive instead of anything in the GT. I could live with only one pre-amp, probably, although I'm spoiled by being able to choose one of several. But only one overdrive... couldn't do it. =)

Nice collection, by the way. You like your Mark better than the DC, I take it?

2469144460100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Almost forgot, I also have this old Pignose Crossmix 150. I believe it's from the late 70's or early 80's.

It's 75 watts until you use a patch cable to piggyback the clean and dirty channels together, then you get 150watts of Pignose Punch. Plus a pretty good reverb.

My 100W all-tube B52 is in the shop. Hopefully it won't cost me more than I paid for the amp to have it repaired#-o

The Valvetronix Vox is OK for practice, but I prefer not to use it for gigs.

Amps002.jpg

Damn, Laaz, I would hate to be your walls when you crank that Marshal stack[crying]

Damn' date=' Laaz, I would hate to be your walls when you crank that Marshal stack[crying']

I replaced all of my windows with the new energy efficient windows, they come with a lifetime no questions asked replacement... [lol]

Not too bad though I have it running through a hot plate.

When playing the larger gigs I still utilize a Marshall JCM 800 with 3 cabs; although I've been also running a clean signal through my old Bassman and A/B-ing them. When recording, I tend to go with smaller amps (e.g. an old Fender Princeton...or an Orange). Oddly enough, I've also got an old solid state Acoustic amp (believe they were made in CA) that really gives a unique voice that sits nice in a mix. I've also got a few old Gibson Scouts that are nice little jammers for the kitchen or in a friend's living room.

I think maybe the cab is upside down' date=' not the flag.

Get yourself a nice symetrical flag - then no-one can be in distress...!

Well spotted retrosurfer1959!

[biggrin

Nope, it's intentional. See my post above.

My first amp was an all-tube Silvertone Twin Twelve combo. It had the best tone. I wish I still had it.

The 1484 "Twin Twelve" and 1485 were hidden studio gems until Jack White came out playing 1485s. Great tone. Funny thing is when my last band was hunting for studios in mid 2007 everyone would have at least one old Silvertone tube amp. Most were just 1484 heads run through 4x12s.

Now' date=' I'm playing through a Fender Blues Jr., I've just picked up an old Magnatone PA-297-3, and, I talked a friend out of his Little Lanilei .25 watt.

[/quote']

You used to see a lot of old Magnatone 2x12 combos around Chicago. Another lesser known vintage amp with killer tube tone.

Archived