Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody watch American Idol?

Bca143

IMO' date=' some of the guys are very talented!![/quote']

Charlie Manson could be construed as being "talented", doesn't mean I want to listen to anything he'd have to say. American Idol is just another tax on the ignorant and at times seems like a big poking stick for people with less than 100% mental ability. Anyone here that watches it is excusable, because you all have diverse tastes in music and probably just see it as mild entertainment. But it genuinely brainwashes kids growing up with it into thinking theres nothing better available.

In my opinion, of course...

I tune in every now and then just to see the talent. Last night definetly was Gibson night! I saw a Vintage Sunburst J-45, a Natural J-45 (which was really nice), a Hummingbird, a few SongWriters. Funny though, no mention of Gibson at all. If you weren't a guitar nut (like we all are), it would have just blown right by you.

My youngest daughter watches it. She was scanning through it on DVR last night and she pointed out there were many Gibsons. I looked up from the laptop a couple times and saw a J45 and the nat topped one Larry spoke of, I didn't know if it was a nat topped J45 or a WM45 or what, but it was simple and pretty. Plain and elegant at the same time. That's nice.

It is GOOD to see Gibson headstocks on the screen - don't you think so?

This "enters in the eyes" and after that in the minds of all the people who see this. And after that they remember the magic name "Gibson".

... just as I did last year, buying my precious M-R GIBS on e-bay from the other side of the world, people!!!!!!!!!!!

Looked like Gibson sponsored the show tonight. I saw a j-45' date=' a bird, and a a couple of songwriters. [/quote']

I saw.... I noticed...and I figured Gibson gave each performer a new guitar of their choice if they would play it during the competition...in front of the largest audience on TV. VERY smart and cheap advertising! LOVED the 'Burst J-45.

I saw.... I noticed...and I figured Gibson gave each performer a new guitar of their choice if they would play it during the competition...in front of the largest audience on TV. VERY smart and cheap advertising! LOVED the 'Burst J-45.

I really doubt it. TV gives the illusion of being generous but in reality, I seriously doubt the contestants got to keep these guitars. The show, however, probably got a big fat check for "product placement".

I really doubt it. TV gives the illusion of being generous but in reality' date=' I seriously doubt the contestants got to keep these guitars. The show, however, probably got a big fat check for "product placement".[/quote']

Agree 100%

If I was a TV producer of that show I would never give them keep the guitars!!!

Nothing is for free - that's how this world turns...

I really doubt it. TV gives the illusion of being generous but in reality' date=' I seriously doubt the contestants got to keep these guitars. The show, however, probably got a big fat check for "product placement".[/quote']

Agree 100%

If I was a TV producer of that show I would never give them keep the guitars!!!

Nothing is for free - that's how this world turns...

I'll tell ya...if someone was going to "loan" me a guitar only, I'd tell 'em no, I'd rather use the one I'm used to. I don't think placing 4-5 guitars in their hands is going to cost them but a fraction of what a 30 second commercial would cost to air, (and of course, the production cost of the commercial would be on top of that). 5 guitars probably cost Gibson $5-6k or so...peanuts.

I'll tell ya...if someone was going to "loan" me a guitar only' date=' I'd tell 'em no, I'd rather use the one I'm used to. I don't think placing 4-5 guitars in their hands is going to cost them but a fraction of what a 30 second commercial would cost to air, (and of course, the production cost of the commercial would be on top of that). 5 guitars probably cost Gibson $5-6k or so...peanuts.[/quote']

I would bet a million dollars those contestants are not keeping those guitars. If anything, they are going to the producers' kids.

I would bet a million dollars those contestants are not keeping those guitars. If anything' date=' they are going to the producers' kids.[/quote']

There's GOT to be a way to find out the answer. As I said, I personally would not use a "loaner", if I had my own guitar with me...but I WOULD use a "new" guitar if I got to keep it.

I wonder if any of those guys have Facebook accounts or anything?

So... if I may ask..

Why are we assuming these folks don't own their own Gibsons? Most of them are already established and performing amateur musicians before they audtion...

I always look for what guitar someone is playing.... and there were no Gibsons to be seen 'til Tuesday night...when there were 4-5 brand new ones!

Coincidence? It'd be a long shot.

I always look for what guitar someone is playing.... and there were no Gibsons to be seen 'til Tuesday night...when there were 4-5 brand new ones!

Coincidence? It'd be a long shot.

Maybe, but they didn't look new to me... It wasn't that long ago that they blacked out the Mfg.'s name on the guitars altogether...

I'll pay closer attention going forward, but I'm still not 100% convinced they weren't playing their own intruments.

Yeah saw the show and spotted it. Wondered how much they paid for the right to showcase the Gibson range?

Only non-Gibo was that Mexican kid with the glasses who had a PRS.....Myabe he's already sponsored by them....

• 1 month later...

I've been watching American Idol while sitting in front of a computer so that I can ID the Gibsons. There is a blonde single cutaway Songbird (I think) that I cannot find anywhere. Is it a discontinued model, a new model, or a different model? Also, one of the Songbirds has "Studio" on the truss rod cover, but the ones I find online that are identical, don't. Help me understand what's going on here.

Archived