Gibson Brands Forums

I have a question.

dem00n

In the 80's their were hundres of metal bands that help created the death metal sound, most of the tapes have been lost through time and tape trading and i doubt even 50% of those bands had a demo.

Really for all we know some band in 1965 in some garage a band could of made thrash metal or death metal...hell even rap.

Its kinda impossible to say this person or this band created a music genre.

Am i right?

In the 80's their were hundres of metal bands that help created the death metal sound' date=' most of the tapes have been lost through time and tape trading and i doubt even 50% of those bands had a demo.

Really for all we know some band in 1965 in some garage a band could of made thrash metal or death metal...hell even rap.

Its kinda impossible to say this person or this band created a music genre.

Am i right? [/quote']

Sure.

Who cares? Maybe they were playing thrash metal in the medieval times, but no one carried it down because it was too radical for the times :-&

Christopher Columbus "discovered America" but of course there were millions of people living on the continent already.

Know what i mean?

Ah, i know what you mean.

Alright i get it now guys, thanks.

Buddy Holly was called "Rock 'n Roll" in the 1950's

Led Zeppelin was Rock 'n Roll in the 1970's

The two couldnt be further apart, yet still maintain the "Rock" label

Actually the first song Rock song was "Rocket 88" (1951)....first song to use distortion as well.

Althought that was by accident when a speaker was damaged.

When Metal was fairly new and bands were trying to differentiate themselves, a lot of bands played different stuff, at the time there were no metal genres, at least initially, then somebody started the name tagging.

It is hard to define who started what, but we all know who made it mainstream and that is what we know.

No music just springs ut of nowhere. Every artist or musician is influenced or inspired by what came before them.

Death Metal couldn't have just followed, say, right after Elvis Presely. Music and the world had to evolve (or devolve) to the point where we had full out heavy metal by the late 70s and 80s. But, even that was shocking for only so long. So some people had to get even more "extreme" and ratchet things up another notch to make it Death Metal. How much more extreme and shocking can we go from there? Who knows :-&

No music just springs ut of nowhere. Every artist or musician is influenced or inspired by what came before them.

Death Metal couldn't have just followed' date=' say, right after Elvis Presely. Music and the world had to evolve (or devolve) to the point where we had full out heavy metal by the late 70s and 80s. But, even that was shocking for only so long. So some people had to get even more "extreme" and ratchet things up another notch to make it Death Metal. How much more extreme and shocking can we go from there? Who knows :-& [/quote']

Animal death metal!

MOOO!

yeah, death isn't really any different from thrash. it's pretty much an evolution of vocal style. when possessed coined the term, their sound was still basically thrash. hell, at this point people prolly don't even consider possessed a death metal band even if they started the genre....

yeah' date=' death isn't really any different from thrash. it's pretty much an evolution of vocal style. when possessed coined the term, their sound was still basically thrash. hell, at this point people prolly don't even consider possessed a death metal band even if they started the genre....[/quote']

Possessed was sort of mixed.

Though in the 1990s you could tell the diffrence between thrash and death but in the 80's they were like twins.

Agreed. Stylistic differences aside' date=' theoretically there are more fundamental similarities between "different" genres of music than there are fundamental differences.[/quote']

Holy crap, did that come outa XDK???

You'll be in a cave on a mountain top spouting the wisdom of the ages before we know it!

[thumbup]

Generally speaking about art, or any kind of human expression, there is no such thing as a nativity from the absolute nothing. Everybody bases his art on influences, more or less, from those that came before him / her. There are only a few times that an artist evolves so much more than what came before him / her, that he creates a true breakthrough.

In current music particularly, and in the last century, some artists do stand out as pioneers. Naming a few:

The Beatles

Jerry Lee Lewis

Elvis Presley

Alice Cooper

David Bowie

Black Sabbath

Dream Theater

(always in my humble opinion).

It's fair to say that specific artists popularized different generes also, at least from generation to generation, like when someone says latin guitar, the first influence I think of is Santana, now I know someone living in an area with a large spanish population would have completely different answers but it doesn't change how widely some artists influence things on a general level.

eventually I think all forms of music come and go, once people get bored of one style, someone else makes something new, it moves on from there and more than likely eventually returns to its "roots", like a big wave I guess?

I think Hector put it quite well.

I'd add a few points.

1. Our rather human inclination to put category names on stuff may be as misleading as it is enlightening.

2. What was called "rock" in the late 1950s was already an incredibly diverse sort of thing, but "grownups" listed to "pop" and we kids listened to "rock" and in a lotta ways, the difference seems on my own reflection of the era to be more about which radio station ran which music - and that largely resulted from how the marketing was done.

3. Yes, I think all along, we've "lost" incredible bits of music recording that might enlighten us in many ways both as musicians and music historians. On the other hand, think of it this way: It's only since somewhere in the late 1960s that the average person could have some sort of portable recording equipment he/she could afford and transport. Today? Sheesh, no cost at all, but also no perceived need to archive for the year 2121.

m

Archived