Gibson Brands Forums

What should every guitarist be able to do?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF every guitar player could do the same thing then we'd only ever need to buy one album, ever.

To be a confident guitarist however, I think having the ability to know the notes on the frets, basic scales and chords are all anyone needs to start, which could work into arpegios / modes etc. Confidence in playing helps your soul shine through man.

Two things come to mind.

First: A guitarist must know how to change his strings!

Some of you may think that's ridiculous, but the guy who runs a small shop I frequent told me that people bring him their guitars all the time for a "restringing"... [lol]

Second: IMO a guitarist should be able to pick up an acoustic and play several songs from beginning to end.

There are some electric guitar players who only know "parts" of songs and can only play with a band or a backing track...

I'd say that some of the major aspects of calling oneself a guitarist are being able to keep time with other musicians, know basic theory as such to play with other musicians and actually making music that sounds good (altough there's a very fine line between knowing theory and knowing too much theory, thus making the artistic side of it suffer).

Last but not least, personality is hugely important. I don't care for people who can play other guitarists' work note by note, it's when they add their own personality into it and you really can hear the individual behind the guitar that things start to get interesting.

Because it contains the Spanish word for "***". (c-u-l-o)

So that means it's ok to write "***"' date=' but we're not allowed to use words which contain the four letters which can mean the word "***" in a foreign language?

You're pulling my leg, right?

[lol

So that means it's ok to write "***"' date=' but we're not allowed to use words which contain the four letters which can mean the word "***" in a foreign language?

You're pulling my leg, right?

[lol

No, man, I'm serious as a heart-attack. That's how the filters work. Great, ain't it? [blink]

Every guitarist should be able to play standing up..... If you think thats a funny thing to suggest then if your a Bedroom guitarist (Like me) then try standing up and playing.... Its a different ball game..

I now spend 50% of my playing standing up..

Regards..

Every guitarist should be able to play standing up..... If you think thats a funny thing to suggest then if your a Bedroom guitarist (Like me) then try standing up and playing.... Its a different ball game..

I now spend 50% of my playing standing up..

Regards..

If you see a big difference between the two positions..... That usually means you're wearing your guitar too low when standing up and playing.

Know music theory and be able to read music.

B.B. King says something similar whenever he points out that his music reading level is rudimentary at best. His opinion is' date=' if you can't read music, hire a buncha folks who can for your backup band. [blink

B.B. King says something similar whenever he points out that his music reading level is rudimentary at best. His opinion is' date=' if you can't read music, hire a buncha folks who can for your backup band. [biggrin']

TOU-freakin'-CHÉ!

Depends on what you want to do.

If you're playing on tour for an established band, should already know your parts.

If you're going to be in a studio, you should be versatile in the styles you can play, be able to interpret and play charts, and be able to improvise creatively. Being able to read music is a plus, especially if you're going to play with BB King.

Any "musician" should be able to read music, know scales and modes, and understand theory.

Sing while playing their guitar.

I find it a tad bit bothersome when jamming with a bass or guitar players that cant sing while playing their instruments.

Then you wouldn't like me as a bandmate.

Archived