Gibson Brands Forums

What should every guitarist be able to do?

Silenced Fred

One thing, i believe is that guitar players really need to know why they have picked up the guitar and really have a deep understanding, and not just playing because everyone else does. I don't know how many people i see walking down the hallways of my school with a guitar in hand, and don't even stick to it. Of course, i could be wrong, and i mostly hope i am.

Other than that, just the basics, which most of you have stated. If one wants to learn lead, learn as many scales as you can. Study chord and chord progressions, study the notes on the fretboard and such.

And last but not least, keep a positive attitude, and believe in yourself.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guitar owners have one for show. They may or may not be able to play anything.

Guitar players enjoy making music at their own level of talent and/or skill because ... they just enjoy it.

To be a pro or even semi-pro guitar player requires more skill and talent than many other guitar players, but far more importantly, it requires first and foremost a capability to be in front of people and "entertain" in a mode that includes some use of a guitar.

Hmmmm. I think I sound a little cynical on that last, but...

m

I think I am going to get a set of GFS Prewired pickguard' date=' route out my current Strat, throw em in, change the Trem and thats all under 200 bucks.

I am really looking at a Custom Shop Strat, I think I will rather save up my money, if the difference is enough between the Custom Shop and the American Standard.

Thanks for asking[/quote']

Cool....

What kind of Custom Shope strat? A sig model or a reissue?

I always wanted Eric Claptons Sig...

Well its best if you can still play well but as long as you THINK you played well' date=' its good enough.

Yeah I remember (well not really) playing an AWESOME New Years Eve gig a few years back and I have a feeling we did not play as well as I may have remembered.

[/quote']

Do you recall people cheering at the end? As long as they did cheer and were more intoxicated than you were, then I would call that a success.

Reading some of the "you should ought to be able to do 'X,'" kinda concerns me.

I try to look at guitar playing for most people as something they do like talking or walking around a neighborhood barbecue. Yeah, I agree, you should be able to tune the thing and change strings and play some chords.

I tend to take playing rather seriously although I recognize that regardless of a degree of ability to develop skill, I don't now and never have had the degree of people to watch and emulate for the kind of playing I wanna do. Yeah, I've a bit of understanding of composition and transposition and "orchestration," but frankly that's only at the skill level rather than the "talent" level. Darn it.

And yes, that's the sort of thing I've tried to teach along with some basic, style-transferable "stuff" when I've taught beginner guitar.

There are thousands of folks who play a dozen basic chords at most, and simply strum along to neighborhood singalongs and everyone is rather happy with the results. There's no need for that individual in his/her own mind to improve technique because he/she is doing what he/she wants to do with the guitar.

That latter person is still a "guitar player." He may not know why he plays a song with given chords, or how to transpose, because it's simply not relevant to the fun and benefits of guitar playing from his/her perspective. I've seen folks like that keep pickin' for 50 and more years. OTOH, I've met guitar prodigies who quit playing in late teens or early 20s; excellent musicians who simply didn't care to keep pickin'. They're just not really guitar players.

Some people have almost no "advanced" guitar technique or "theory," and play almost daily for 60 years. Others have loads of talent and technique and theory and... just quit anyway. Which is the guitar player?

Ah.... heck.

m

I have no idea what half the chords I play are........or what key I am in...........I never had a lesson on guitar....used to play

the trombone and read music for it.........

I can set up a guitar as good or better than a so called tech.............I have a good time playing ......and like what I play.........

can I play others music..........maybe............but mine is mine and thats what I play..........anytime I have ever played for others

they listen and then at some point ask hey can you play such and such........and I go nah I only play my own thing...........

Then later they go ...you should be in a band........ha ha ha ha........

I'm just curious as to what people say. I thought there would be some "guitar standards" like there are for jazz, but I guess I am wrong [biggrin]

I play what I like. I know how to read music, but I prefer to d¡ck around until I get it myself. I like to riff around. For me it is fun. When it stops becoming that, I don't know if I will still be playing as much.

Don't be lulled into "volume wars" with the other guitarist. Back in the 90's, I used to jam with a bunch of guys, and the other guitar guy used to try ever so desparately to be "heard", thus jacking up his volume, at which point I would put my guitar back in it's case, and tell him, "all yours!"...screaming it of course over his Jimi-solo. What a trout.

Don't be lulled into "volume wars" with the other guitarist. Back in the 90's' date=' I used to jam with a bunch of guys, and the other guitar guy used to try ever so desparately to be "heard", thus jacking up his volume, at which point I would put my guitar back in it's case, and tell him, "all yours!"...screaming it of course over his Jimi-solo. What a trout.[/quote']

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA... that only happened once. He was playing rhythm, I had a solo. He kicked up his volume so I couldn't hear mine. I bumped mine up a little so it was audible, then he kept trying to top me. Lesson learned: He looked like a jagoff, but I had the last laugh. 50 watts tube > 100 watts solid state :- And this was at practice...

Do you recall people cheering at the end? As long as they did cheer and were more intoxicated than you were' date=' then I would call that a success.[/quote']

Then it's settled...I MUST be a guitar player...people ALWAYS cheer when I quit playing!

Ears with a connection to the brain are incredibly important! To be able to differentiate pitch is SO key. If you can't hear that you are in tune or playing in the right key, all is lost. Closely related to that is a sense of time.

I recently sat down with a friend who had a song with quite amusing lyrics and a very basic tune. When we tried to record I found that he could not keep time with even the most obvious 4 on the floor kick drum and he couldn't tell that he was out of tune.

With all of the enthusiasm he had, I can only cross my fingers that experience will bring him to pitch and time!

Having said that, I wonder how many wince when I play??

Closely related to that is a sense of time.

I recently sat down with a friend who had a song with quite amusing lyrics and a very basic tune. When we tried to record I found that he could not keep time with even the most obvious 4 on the floor kick drum and he couldn't tell that he was out of tune.

With all of the enthusiasm he had' date=' I can only cross my fingers that experience will bring him to pitch and time!

Having said that, I wonder how many wince when I play??[/quote']

Conversely, years ago when I was teaching guitar, I had a student who was VERY mathematical... she understood the timing of all the notes...but... she had no "soul" in her music.... everything sounded like a metronome..... music is a hybrid of science and art. Take either out of the picture, and the results aren't pleasing.

Do you recall people cheering at the end? As long as they did cheer and were more intoxicated than you were' date=' then I would call that a success.[/quote']

Oh yeah...many beers were purchased for me after we finished playing too...we must have been at least OK....however, in my mind, we were better than Sabbath!!! [biggrin]

Oh yeah...many beers were purchased for me after we finished playing too...we must have been at least OK....however' date=' in my mind, we were better than Sabbath!!! :) [/quote']

Epic win!

Dan....i did not look at it that way. People can be cruel [crying]

After reading all of these posts, it seems that the answer to the OP question is- enjoy playing.

For me, I want to improve. I think the fastest way to improve is to learn, and the fastest way to learn is to take lessons from a qualified instructor until you've gotten all you want out of him. Also, I think you learn faster playing in bands.

Rob...

I think you hit one excellent point in terms of music being ... art ... rather than "science."

I know that sometimes I question my own timing on phrasing - why do I do what I do and is it "good" or is it simply how my brain thinks it should be. Frankly that's one of the main reasons I feel I'm terribly lacking in any sort of "talent."

Yet still there is a joy in playing music - to me especially guitar - that is unmatched by about anything else.

Yeah, I love the zen of shooting sports and martial arts practice; yeah, I love study of a lotta stuff; yeah, I enjoy various physical pleasures ranging from a good meal to soaking in the heat from the sun on the first really warm spring day.

But honestly, picking guitar and working on technique and the challenge of performance... It's a gig that never tires. I wish that I had the talent to justify and support that sorta habit.

m

Archived