Gibson Brands Forums

†R.I.P Randy Rhoads† 28 Years On....

DuaLeaD

I would like to start this thread in honor of my personal guitar hero and one of the greatest guitarists to ever live, Randy Rhoads. Today marks the 28th anniversary of the fateful plane crash in which he died. In just a couple short years, he had transformed the face of rock 'n roll forever. He was Ozzy Osbourne's musical soulmate who helped pick him up out of the ashes of Black Sabbath, believed in him, and cheered him on every step of the way. He had a certain aura about him that brought the best out of every life he touched. No matter how big the stage, he never forgot where he came from, his students, and what his mother taught him, "You should never stop learning".

From the age of 8, he studied music theory and his technical prowess was surpassed only by his musical composition genius. From the first few notes, you knew it was Randy. He had a way of making the guitar sing. He would always tell his students, "When you talk, you do not speak in a monotone voice. Why would it be any different with your guitar?" Every note of every solo he left us with is so beautiful in its design.

It is my hope that Gibson releases a Randy Rhoads special edition Les Paul in his honor.

I live every day knowing that the time we have is a precious gift, and that we should make the most out of what we have been given.

What a humble, gentle, wonderful soul....

Tragic he was taken from us so soon....

"Crazy Train" "After Hours" Footage

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ER3SsLQY8[/Youtube]

Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne Remember Randy Rhoads

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDi7Sdl_kg[/Youtube]

Diary-OpenLeatherVest.jpg

USBlizzVest-Brown.jpg

NZ3.jpg

3511960693_1deda5c732_o.jpg

MW1.jpg

I've got a couple links posted from YouTube.....The After Hours footage is THE BEST.

There is also and extremely rare sound check in Texas from February 18th, 1982 (only a month before his death) which was recently posted in its entirety on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWS6K96iIU

Randy Rhoads footage is EXTREMELY RARE. There is a massive documentary by Peter Margolis a few years in the making which has uncovered some never before seen footage from vaults (there was a worldwide search).

I would like to start this thread in honor of my personal guitar hero and one of the greatest guitarists to ever live, Randy Rhoads. Today marks the 28th anniversary of the fateful plane crash in which he died. In just a couple short years, he had transformed the face of rock 'n roll forever. He was Ozzy Osbourne's musical soulmate who helped pick him up out of the ashes of Black Sabbath, believed in him, and cheered him on every step of the way. He had a certain aura about him that brought the best out of every life he touched. No matter how big the stage, he never forgot where he came from, his students, and what his mother taught him, "You should never stop learning".

From the age of 8, he studied music theory and his technical prowess was surpassed only by his musical composition genius. From the first few notes, you knew it was Randy. He had a way of making the guitar sing. He would always tell his students, "When you talk, you do not speak in a monotone voice. Why would it be any different with your guitar?" Every note of every solo he left us with is so beautiful in its design.

It is my hope that Gibson releases a Randy Rhoads special edition Les Paul in his honor.

I live every day knowing that the time we have is a precious gift, and that we should make the most out of what we have been given.

What a humble, gentle, wonderful soul....

Tragic he was taken from us so soon....

"Crazy Train" "After Hours" Footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ER3SsLQY8

Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne Remember Randy Rhoads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDi7Sdl_kg

Diary-OpenLeatherVest.jpg

USBlizzVest-Brown.jpg

NZ3.jpg

3511960693_1deda5c732_o.jpg

MW1.jpg

I've got a couple links posted from YouTube.....The After Hours footage is THE BEST.

There is also and extremely rare sound check in Texas from February 18th' date=' 1982 (only a month before his death) which was recently posted in its entirety on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWS6K96iIU

Randy Rhoads footage is EXTREMELY RARE. There is a massive documentary by Peter Margolis a few years in the making which has uncovered some never before seen footage from vaults (there was a worldwide search).

No you have to embed the video so it is one click......................please

R.I.P Randy, man he is the whole reason I picked up a guitar to begin with I only wish I could play half as good as he could. I wish he hadn't passed away at such a young age and could have had a chance to show the world even more of is awesome talent. If he was alive today I don't think there would be a guitar player out there that could even hold a light for him to see by..... Also I would love to see gibson do a les paul for randy.....

Randy’s musical background was extremely broad. You can tell by his chord voicings and solos that he had a very strong classical music background (Bach, Mendelssohn, et al).

Some of his songs that I have enjoyed playing over the years are Mr. Crowley, Over The Mountain, the Diary of a Madman acoustic intro, and Flying High Again. Ironically, the song that is most familiar to everyone - Crazy Train - basically shows none of his classical influence, as the whole song is based on F# minor and A major with a standard heavy metal scale (F# Aeolian).

I used to mess around some with Phrygian and Diminished scales because I noticed Randy used them periodically. What an influence this guy was.

Does anyone know which pickups he had in his Les Paul Custom? How about some of his Jackson guitars?

- Rock on -

I think what makes this so emotional for me is how good of a person he was. Nobody likes to see such terrible things happen to good people. Imagine how Sharon and Ozzy must have felt being AT THE SITE of his death as it happened, watching his plane burst into flames and losing their two close friends (Randy Rhoads and Rachel Youngblood).

I see a lot of myself in him. I'm a very humble, quiet guy, even on stage, but I'm not afraid to let my audience see that I am really feeling what I'm playing. You got the sense he was truly happy on stage. Some people have said the same about me when I play.

I'm 24, a year younger than he was when he died. I'm just now feeling like my playing is really taking off, something I can put my name on and be proud of. Randy never got the chance to reach his full potential. Who knows what he mountains he may have moved. He was on this earth for only TWO amazing albums with Ozzy and then he was cut down in his prime.

Take any of your favorite guitarists or bands, look at the catalog of work they have given us, and now IMAGINE that they only had release their first two pieces of work.

Randy inspired everyone around him and the biggest lesson I take away from him is to put 110% into what you create and make the most of your life, because time is precious. We don't know when we are going to go, but we will live on through our music....

I was rockin' out to the Tribute Live album on my way home from work....I hadn't heard it in a long time. The energy of the crowd is AMAZING. You can hear the crowd go off like a bomb after he exits the "I Don't Know" solo.

All of my friends went to see Ozzy when he came to town in February of 1982.

I had spent all my cash on tickets for other shows, and money was tight, so I chose to skip it.

Took a girl to see some other concert that week, can't remember what it was....

Anyway, back at school next week, everybody was wearing their concert jerseys from Ozzy.

The show was phenomenal to hear it from all who attended.

I was a little bummed.

3 weeks later Randy was dead.

This guy worked on Randy's amps the last three years of his career.

amprepair4.jpg

Gary Lowe of Phoenix.

He has my Marshall JCM 800 in his shop as I type this - with a two month backlog of work.

www.fixguitars.com/amp_shop.htm

So sad! Yeah that's why if I have the money to see a truly great band, I don't think about it. I just go and worry about the money later. Memories and the experience are priceless. I went to see Boston in Council Bluffs, IA at the Ameristar and I'm glad I did. Their lead singer, Brad Delp was with them and it was like a 6 year dream finally came true.....I remember getting a little teary when they took the stage because it was just UNREAL. I couldn't believe my all-time favorite band was in front of me and this was really happening. I didn't think I would get ever get the chance.

Well in 2007, he committed suicide - I couldn't listen to a Boston song for over a year after that. But I am so glad I went.

Archived