Gibson Brands Forums

Progression of guitars

Silenced Fred

My first good one was the '61 Melody maker in my sig. I gigged a '72 Recording Les Paul for 14 years' date=' and had a '96 American Strat. They are both gone.

The rest I kept.[/quote']

les paul always talked about his recording lp as his fave. what is it about them?

I recon the higher end Squires are better than USA Standard Strats.

What in the world is a higher end Squire?

I reckon I'll have to take your word for that' date=' because my experience does not bear that out.

Not even close, and it's not badge snobbery.

You sure that's an American Fender you're comparing the Squire to?

[lol

I reckon I'll have to take your word for that' date=' because my experience does not bear that out.

[confused

They have some that cost like 300 bucks.

No offense to the poster, but I don't see how they can compare to a USA Standard. Maybe a standard (MIM) but idk

[/quote']

By higher end I meant early 1990s Japanese / Korean Squires. They were really well made and sounded great. And the JV's are worth good money now. The quality of Squiers have gone down though with Chinese and Indonesia made guitars. And the Bullet is a pile of crap.

[biggrin]

Yep' date=' it's a 97 USA Strat. It has a chunky neck and doesn't play to nice. I guess it's all subjective though.

[img']http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc299/mark_88_turbo/Fenders.jpg[/img]

les paul always talked about his recording lp as his fave. what is it about them?

I wish I'd kept mine. I bought it used in Tempe, Az. around 1980/81. I literally wore the frets off it, I was gigging 4 nights a week around Mesa/Tempe/Apache Jct in those days. It also gigged Louisiana for another decade before moving to Illinois.

With the in/out phase, high/lo output, decade control, ect., it would do a multitude of tones. I hooked up with some Country Bands after moving here and was tapped out after the move and buying property and swapped it for a new American Strat. I didn't really have any remorse (because it had made me tens of thousands of dollars, and it was in really bad shape ) until Lester died. I may try to find another one someday.

Started with a Fender Squire P-Bass then picked up an Ibanez P-Bass-style bass after that. The price was right $100.00. Sold them both for a profit.

I then made a major upgrade and bought my Alembic Five-String Spoiler bass.

After that, the ES-175.

A need for a stratocaster came along somewhere in 2002. That's when I bought the '83 Deluxe in Sienna Burst.

Soon after that I got a great deal on the 60th Anniversary Diamond Telecaster.

And earlier this year the '62 Custom Telecaster.

Snapshot2010-02-0409-12-01.jpg

The Korean an Japanese Squiers were a Fluke, and shouldn't be used as an Example of "High End Squiers" in general. They were only made there for a couple of years while Fender sorted out some details as to where they were going to be permanently made.

The Japanese Factory Squiers were made in the same factory as the Japanes Fenders of the day (which is where Jacksons are made today). So what you're getting is a Japanese Fender with a Squire decal on it. the Korean ones were made at the Cort Factory, which makes really good stuff to this day.

Fast Forward 20+ years to today, and a High End Squier (like maybe a Vintage Moder or Vintage Vibe series) are comparable to a Mexican Standard, but No Where Near the quality of an American Fender.

No name Les Paul BB copy - 1982ish - gone

Epiphone acoustic with pickup mounted in hole - 1985ish - broke

Ibanez super strat shred thingy with Floyd Rose trem - 1987ish - gone

MIM Fender Stratacaster - 1992 - still have

Kramer long pointy metal type shreddng thing with Floyd Rose or Kahler? 1994 - gone

Epiphone acoustic - 1999ish - gone

Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus - 2004 - still have

Gibson SG Classic - 2006 - oldest son has it in Dover AFB

Ibanez PFsomething acoustic - 2006 -still have but electronics stopped working

I think that's it [confused]

I got my first guitar for Christmas 1992. Goya dreadnaught copy. Still own but retired.

Next year I got an 1980s Kramer Striker or Barretta, I can't remember which model. Still own but needs new neck.

Hamer Slammer Chapperal bass

Fender Jaguar

Jackson Kelly

1989 Fender Strat Plus (still my favorite guitar)

1999 Ibanez RG7621

LTD MH 301

1930s Supertone A style Mandolin given to me by my grandmother

Egmond Acoustic (model unknown, got for free)

BC Rich NJ Mockingbird (sold)

Ibanez AE (forgot model, sold)

Mystery LP

Fender AE mandolin

Gilb nylon (cheapo guitar bought in Mexico)

2001 Fender Am Std stratocaster

2007 Gibson Explorer

2004 (?) LTD FM400

Archived