Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite shows as a child

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was the show about a cowboy detective in a big city? The opening titles had him riding through the city on his horse.

UK- The Two Ronnies

The Benny Hill Show

Morcambe and Wise.

McCloud Starring Dennis Weaver. Cancer got him in 2006 at age 81

Wild, Wild West (glad someone else reminded me)

Red Skelton

Andy Griffith Show

Bonanza

Queen for a Day

You Bet Your Life

Mission Impossible

Top Cat

Perry Mason

Maverick

I forgot The Twilight Zone

I didn't really watch TV as a kid. I started that later in my mid teens. Partly because I had a bunch of other interests, and I'm told I was a bit too hyper as a kid to sit still and watch TV for more than 5 minutes. Another reason was probably that we only had public service TV (2 channels only) as my parents weren't that interested either, so there wasn't much on there as far as cool TV shows for kids go. I do remember Sesame Street and I think there was 30 minutes of Disney cartoons once a week. And Tom & Jerry once a week in the sports show for kids.

I'm assuming most people here are too young to remember Queen for a Day. It was essentially a game show where three women would come out, one at a time, and tell their stories of woe and mysery. Then at the end of the show, the three women would stand next to each other, and the audience would vote with applause for the woman they thought most deserved a free gift- usually an appliance of some sort. The really cheesey part was that the emcee would re-tell their stories of woe while people were voting with their applause, and at the bottom of your TV screen there was an applause meter. The woman who registered the highest on the applause meter was Queen for a Day. She would not only win the appliance, but the emcee would cloke her in a long, regal robe, put a tiarra on her head, and give her a bouquet of roses.

Really hoakie...

Only in the '50s!

Gilligan's Island' date=' Green Acres, The Adams Family, Get Smart, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Petticoat Junction, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Believe it or Not, Dragnet, Star Trek, Lost in Space... off the top od my head...[/quote']

All of the above, almost in the same order except Star Trek & Lost in Space near the top & I didn't watch The Outer Limits too much.

I would also add The Three Stooges, Bugs Bunny Cartoons & Charlie's Angels. I loved Farah...

I'm assuming most people here are too young to remember Queen for a Day. It was essentially a game show where three women would come out' date=' one at a time, and tell their stories of woe and mysery. Then at the end of the show, the three women would stand next to each other, and the audience would vote with applause for the woman they thought most deserved a free gift- usually an appliance of some sort. The really cheesey part was that the emcee would re-tell their stories of woe while people were voting with their applause, and at the bottom of your TV screen there was an applause meter. The woman who registered the highest on the applause meter was Queen for a Day. She would not only win the appliance, but the emcee would cloke her in a long, regal robe, put a tiarra on her head, and give her a bouquet of roses.

Really hoakie...

Only in the '50s![/quote']

Had a neighbor who was on that show. She didn't win but benefitted anyway. Not one of my favorites.

As a young male, I utterly despised "queen for a day."

The tales of woe sob stories... etc... Argh.

It took more than a blizzard to keep me watchin' - but in those days there may not have been an alternative.

At first, all we got was the state ag college tv channel which picked and chose from the 3 better known radio networks and a thing or two from the "Dumont Television Network." That latter included "Captain Video," a space opera. Later on there was also "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet." That latter was long before "space cadet" meant something different.

I actually sent in a couple candy wrappers and a couple of bucks and had a Captain Video space helmet. Genuine plastic. A buddy had a Captain Video uniform. The turkey. <chortle>

m

Dusty's Tree House, Sesame Street, and Romper Room.

Then The Muppets, WKRP, MASH, Rifleman, and Star Trek.

Then Remington Steel, Crazy Like a Fox, Dukes of Hazzard, and Knight Rider.

The whole time I watched Warner Brother Cartoons, Three Stooges, and Popeye.

I still managed play outside a lot.

I'm assuming most people here are too young to remember Queen for a Day. It was essentially a game show where three women would come out' date=' one at a time, and tell their stories of woe and mysery. Then at the end of the show, the three women would stand next to each other, and the audience would vote with applause for the woman they thought most deserved a free gift- usually an appliance of some sort. The really cheesey part was that the emcee would re-tell their stories of woe while people were voting with their applause, and at the bottom of your TV screen there was an applause meter. The woman who registered the highest on the applause meter was Queen for a Day. She would not only win the appliance, but the emcee would cloke her in a long, regal robe, put a tiarra on her head, and give her a bouquet of roses.

Really hoakie...

Only in the '50s![/quote']

What I remember about that show is that the "Queen For The Day" always got a gift certificate from Speigel Catalogue in Chicago, IL six-oh-six-oh-nine!!

I guess I have to weight in with the old Furts in here.....not because I'm as old as they are, after all, they're a day older than dirt!

But we didn't have a TV 'til I was about 5 or 6. I too used to "watch" the radio...... Inner Sanctum, (I think we actually called it "The Squeaking Door").

Rob... Yeah, earlier in the thread I mentioned "watching" the radio too.

Odd how we did that, eh? Consider we "watched" the radio for baseball games and boxing matches, too. Baseball games also had tickertape feeds. There were radio shows that would add sound effects to a discussion of the tickertape info that sounded as if the game were live. Even a lotta illegal bookie joints had the tickertape. Not that I would have known when I was in my mid teens, of course.

The analog a.m. signal, though, could be heard with a "crystal" radio if you had an earphone. No power required.

Back to the pre-television era at my house... if I needed to call my Dad at work, I'd pick the phone and tell "central," and I quote, "Number 10, please."

Our number at the house, btw, was 258W. Grandpa's house was 32W. No area code, no more number than that. Oh, the cities had stuff like Cherry 5-2345. No area codes yet. <grin> The "central" phone operator running her patch board with 1/4 inch plugs had a cot along the board so we had 24-hour service - but everybody tried not to call after 10 p.m.

Out in the country it was even a bit older technology. The crank upped the voltage to get a ring. You didn't ask somebody what their "number" was, you asked, "What's your ring?" For example, Uncle Charlie was, as I recall, a short, two longs and a short. Everybody else, of course, could listen in to his calls, but with each additional listener, the strength of the voice signal lessened.

Funny thing, a dozen years ago one 10-year-old hadda was at a club building with Grandma, and was supposed to call his Mom. He returned to the meeting and tugged on Grandma's sleeve. He couldn't make the call. Why not? Didn't know how to use a dial phone.

Oh' date=' the cities had stuff like Cherry 5-2345. No area codes yet. <grin> The "central" phone operator running her patch board with 1/4 inch plugs had a cot along the board so we had 24-hour service - but everybody tried not to call after 10 p.m.

[/quote']

M-

The hospital my Father worked at had one of those (1/4" patch) switchboards in use until the mid 1960s. I went to the hospital with him the day they were pulling it out. He wanted to grab a couple of the panels and patchcords to see if he could rig them up as control panels for his HO trainset.

By the way as a citified "NYC-son" our exchange was AS-8 (astoria) Grandparents were RA-8 (Ravenswood). We only needed to wake up the operators for long distance or other special calls. (Modern technology?)

The first computer system (1972) I worked on had a communications bridge that looked pretty much like that old switchboard, except the jacks were 1/8" (plugs let you jumpswitch to spare or monitor).

Ziggy...

Zip Code?

Whazzat? Heck, post cards ain't even a nickel yet. <chortle> I do remember when they started, darn it.

Seriously, I wonder how many "under 40" people even have seen a post card.

m

When I was seven or eight, I used to send my baseball cards to the players with a self addressed, stamped envelope, to have them autograph. An example of how the address would look:

Willie Mays

Candlestick Park

San Francisco, California

Nine outta ten came back signed.

Archived