Gibson Brands Forums

THE guitars the stars actually used...

NeoConMan

cdntac posted a "Guitars of the stars" that wasn't what you would think - but very cool anyway.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=31197

That inspired me to start this thread about the guitars that made those sounds we all know and love.

Jimmy Page's famous Les Pauls, Telecaster and Danelectro for instance.

It's rare to find a website for an artist that actually gives details about the gear they used.

Many of them are fan sites, run without the participation of the person(s) at the heart of the matter.

So, anybody who knows of some good pics of the actual guitars that hit us all like a ton of bricks - post 'em!

Amps are fair game too, eh?

59lespal.jpg

58tlcster.jpg

dnelctro.jpg

If I get some opportunities to photograph a couple of Ted's shows this summer I'd like to get some better close-up shots of his guitars --- especially this one. Stupidly, I never thought of photographing this guitar on its own --- I just played it and drooled instead of shooting it.

black_byrd.jpg

Steve Winwood late '60s (When I saw him he had a light blue one. If the story's true it' date=' along with a truck full of equipment, was stolen from in front of the Filmore East November 1970?)

[/quote']

I know I had the trunk of my car pried open and all the "stuff" I left there in front of Fillmore West, about 1966 or so.

Here's your's truly with Junior Brown and his guit-steel built by Michael Stevens, way down in Alpine, Texas. I think (but don't quote me) Stevens used to work in the Fender Custom Shop before he opened up his own business in Alpine.

Jrme.jpg

I remember walking into the fifth floor of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and seeing John Lennon's 1964 J-160E hanging on the wall across from me...

There were hundreds of guitars in that building, including The Log, Joe Strummer's Telecaster, and one of Johnny Cash's Gibsons, but I stood and stared at that beat up Gibson for ten minutes... then went up the stairs to The Doors exhibit, and then stared at it again on the way down.

lennon_peace.jpg

It's in rougher shape than it was in that photo...

Archived