Gibson Brands Forums

Hiwatt Half Stack

jrsdws

Thought I'd share a few pics of the vintage Hiwatt halfstack I've put together. It took some searching to find a matching set of Hylight Hiwatt components from the same era...1980. It's wicked loud!! I've played the amp through two other cabs and neither do it justice compared to the mathcing Hiwatt cab with original Fanes.

DSC_0007a.jpg

It's more of a clean tone amp...takes pedals extremely well, however, when pushed a bit she develops an incredible naturally overdriven growly tone that still keeps every note distinct....no hiding sloppy playing with this amp.

As far as price...well I have far less in this than a new issue Hiwatt...and I'd be surprised the quality and sound from a new one matches this. Hard to beat the old Dave Reeves engineering and point to point wiring.

It's more of a clean tone amp...takes pedals extremely well' date=' however, when pushed a bit she develops an incredible naturally overdriven growly tone that still keeps every note distinct....no hiding sloppy playing with this amp.

As far as price...well I have far less in this than a new issue Hiwatt...and I'd be surprised the quality and sound from a new one matches this. Hard to beat the old Dave Reeves engineering and point to point wiring.[/quote']

That sounds cool. I love an amp with great clean tone and clarity. I will definately plug in next time I see one.

Is that the DR504?

Those amps are great! What a cool set up.

Freaking Rock On!

Yep...this is a DR504 manufactured in 1980...and all original except bias capacitor. I even have the original Mullard tubes. The power tubes are safely stored away, but still great...and amazing. I'm actually running the original Mullard preamp tubes but thinking of swapping them out. They still rock...but kinda thinking it's best to save them too.

I tried to take video of my son playing using my cell phone....sucked. I guess it's time to get a microphone to record sound clips.

Archived