Gibson Brands Forums

Bizarre stringing advice?

Mr. Robot

I received advice from a music store today that some musos string their Les pauls to get more sustain by threading the string the opposite way so as to wrap the string around the tail piece

ie the have the string ball on the opposite side

Does anyone here do this?

Top wrapping is the proper term....

Some people love it, some dont you really have to try it first.

I love the feel of a nice strong set of strings (I'm considering putting 13s on my LP.... call me crazy) and top wrapping lowers the angle with which the strings bend over the bridge and it is easier to bend. Personally I think it would screw with the sustain......

Try it for yourself... thats the best advice one can give on the topic.

Yeah its gonna scratch the tailpiece up a good bit...

bridge.jpg

I received advice from a music store today that some musos string their Les pauls to get more sustain by threading the string the opposite way so as to wrap the string around the tail piece

With a tip o' the hat to Axe - who is already well aware of everything contained herein;

www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/TopWrapping.html

If that's the "advice" they're dispensing' date=' you need to find a different store.

There are many myths, and a few downright lies involved in that whole concept.

I've finally decided that it's similar to asking your guitar shop if it's a good idea to get a tattoo.

Fxck NO, it's not a "good idea" but if it's something you want to do and can come up with some way to

rationalize it in your head - then by all means, go right ahead.

Just because some other people think it's cool, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Think twice before citing any "facts" on the matter to bolster your position because there are very few.

And doncha think Gibson would have cashed in on this by now...?

[blink

I've posted this advice before, but will repeat it here. If you're going to do this:

Either remove the tail piece completely and put the strings through before putting it back on. Or, be very careful as you feed the strings through the holes or they can come through the other side and put a nice scratch in your top.

With a tip o' the hat to Axe - who is already well aware of everything contained herein;

www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/TopWrapping.html

If that's the "advice" they're dispensing' date=' you need to find a different store.

There are many myths, and a few downright lies involved in that whole concept.

I've finally decided that it's similar to asking your guitar shop if it's a good idea to get a tattoo.

Fxck NO, it's not a "good idea" but if it's something you want to do and can come up with some way to

rationalize it in your head - then by all means, go right ahead.

Just because some other people think it's cool, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Think twice before citing any "facts" on the matter to bolster your position because there are very few.

And doncha think Gibson would have cashed in on this by now...?

[lol

Neo, I have to confess that after all these threads, this is the first time I've gone to read your article/essay. I liked it, it was clearly put and seemed well thought out, if a bit opinionated. [lol] But I have a question - does this:

21da0714-22f5-4172-8198-a16708d981d8.png

indicate in any way that there is some kind of historical precedence for top-wrapping, maybe pre-dating the final TOM design? I don't really know any guitar-making history, but now I'm curious about this detail.

Of course it's opinionated - it's MY website! [lol]

:-)

[lol]

Yeah, from what I understand, one of the many reasons behind the TOM was to spread the string load out

over 4 points instead of just two, and then allow the strings to drop at an angle to anchor them more

effectively without the posts leaning.

Look at any telephone pole with an anchor line on it - angles to the ground.

I dunno....

#-o

Hmmmm....

Thinking about how the bending loads would be applied....

LOTSA down-force on the bridge...

Quick, somebody, try this on your Les Paul and let us know how it works out!

#-o/

Top wrapping and removal of the pick guard' date=' are two of the key elements for Slashtone. True story.[/quote']

If I hadn't cruised this forum for as long as I have I'd laugh at that story but no doubt there are those out there who swear their guitar sounds better with the pickguard off. Or they get brighter tone from dot inlays instead of block. Or that red one's have a warmer sound than black one's.

Archived