Gibson Brands Forums

So I got the Swollen Pickle

Silenced Fred

Early birthday present... And I have to say, I'm not that impressed.

before everyone jumps all over me, I bought it from MF, tried it out at GC and SamAsh on a couple of amps, and loved the tone. I got it home, played it through my Sunn, and I don't like it at all.

I want it to work, on other amps it sounds great, but on mine, it sounds turrable.

Anyone who has one wanna recommend knob positions? Or I might have to just return it...[crying]

Man get a multi-fx unit and be done with it. I went with a Boss ME-70 $300........a lot like the Tone Lab LE $400......ST $200 ............

I got 7 different distortion/overdrives built in.....not to mention every other effect there is.

Ok, don't frett.......... you need to invest in a tube pre amp (ENGL Model 530), then you'll get plenty of crunch, dump that into a Marshall 4x12 with vintage celestians, 25w greenback 16 ohm speakers and then you'll understand what tubes can do for warmth. Did'nt catch what kind of head you are using, try an ENGL Fireball and the Tube pre Amp 530 and you'll be in heaven. The fuzz boxes are for beginners unless you can find a TC Electronics Booster Line Driver Distortion+, that's a killer pedal, everything else in terms of fuzz/distortion pedals are for beginners, go with a rack mount tube pre amp and you'll be happy, Just my opinion for what it's worth

Yo Nathan, just send the pedal and the amp over my way. I'll get them working together and sounding great in no time, and then I'll send them on back to you...after a slightly longer "inspection period," of course.

Sorry...I can't help. I've never used a Swollen Pickle. My personal experience with fuzz boxes has all been through the test-playing the MXR Classic 108, EHX Big Muff Pi, Fulltone '69 (highly recommended,) and ZVex Mastotron (also highly recommended,) so I couldn't give any pointers on the Swollen Pickle. However, I heard some demos online and it seems pretty versatile to me, so I think if you just play around with it a little you'll get where you wanted it again eventually.

I wasn't impressed by it either. Wish I could help.

Maybe you should send it back and get another fuzz pedal.

Just played around with it for about an hour' date=' and I could get some good sound out of it, just not [i']my[/i] sound. I will play with it some more, but I don't know for sure.

It is very versatile, and I can get some good fuzz sounds out of it. I just gotta use it more [thumbup]

Here ya go kiddo........

http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

I'll just stick with pedals for now. Thanks though' date=' it sounds killer!

I should probably also invest in a good OD/Dist pedal first though, Boss DS-1 and SD-1 aren't cutting it as much anymore [unsure

I was able to get some great sounds though, so we shall see

I'll just stick with pedals for now. Thanks though' date=' it sounds killer!

I should probably also invest in a good OD/Dist pedal first though, Boss DS-1 and SD-1 aren't cutting it as much anymore :-

I was able to get some great sounds though, so we shall see[/quote']

For overdrive I want to get the Way Huge Pork Loin.

[unsure]

I would have it already save the price

ok, first on the inside, turn the clip knob all the way to the opposite side of stock factory setting, this sets it for a smoother harmonic-y fuzz

I usually like to start by adjusting the sustain, then the high pass filter, then messing with the crunch and the scoop @ the same time

I bought mine because I loved the versiltility, the tone IS there, you just have to find it........

Good luck!

fred' date=' with a thread title like that i'm sure you understand people are gonna rib you to bits! [biggrin']

sorry i cant help with the pedal but good luck with it :-

I figured it would. I only knew that Jesse had one, I didn't think anyone else did, so its all good.

I'm used the the little jabs, its what keeps me young [biggrin]

Jesse- I'll play around with that, try and get some good stuff

Freak- Nope, still prefer muffs to pickles, but PEDAL WISE- I do like the Swollen Pickle more than the Big Muff

Archived