Gibson Brands Forums

This ain't no "fingerstyle"...

Guth

Okay, so maybe some people would refer to this as fingerstyle, but I've always just called it fingerpicking.

I love seeing the photos of all the Gibsons out there — however, we don't get nearly as much exposure to how they sound. Anyway, this is something that I've been working up for a while now and I've finally got it to a point where I felt like I wanted to capture it. I like that fact that more folks are sharing their playing here on the forum and I'd like to see this trend continue, so I'll pitch in another one of my contributions towards the cause.

This is me fingerpickin' on my J-45, warts & all:

Corn On The Cob

Details...

Tuning: Open D. (Sometimes a lower tuning like this can get a bit mushy sounding on a shorter-scale guitar with a bigger box, but I think in this case things work out okay.)

Strings: D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ17 Mediums (probably helps with the above)

Recording Device: Sony Digital Flash Recorder (PCM-D50) using the built-in microphones, converted to MP3 on my Mac

Guitar: 2008 J-45 TV

All the best,

Guth

You and the guitar sound great! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Oh, and by commonly accepted definition, if you play in an open tuning and don't use a slide, you're playing fingerstyle. [cool]

Sounds Good!!

I've always figured if you play it in a bar, and no one tosses a bottle, it's 'fingerpickin'. [biggrin]

AS for sharing recordings- I can't even get a picture up here anymore- maybe it's my browser, but photobucket is impossible. Recordings? No Idea. (I suppose you'd first have to purchase one of them fancy recording devices?)

You and the guitar sound great! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Oh' date=' and by commonly accepted definition, if you play in an open tuning and don't use a slide, you're playing fingerstyle. [biggrin

If you are drinking a beer and have your dog sitting at your feet....you are fingerpickin'

If you are drinking fine wine and your guitar cost more than the fingerpickers' car.... You play fingerstyle

:- [cool]

PS. If Jeff Foxworthy played guitar ....he could make a career out this material....

I suppose I should have noted my apologies to David Byrne for the play on his lyrics: "this ain't no disco". [cool]

Honestly, when I learned to play the way I do, I had never heard of fingerstyle, only fingerpicking. I suppose it's six of one, half a dozen of the other as they say.

All the best,

Guth

If you are drinking a beer and have your dog sitting at your feet....you are fingerpickin'

If you are drinking fine wine and your guitar cost more than the fingerpickers' car.... You play fingerstyle

:- [biggrin]

PS. If Jeff Foxworthy played guitar ....he could make a career out this material....

Node.....LOL.....I think Quiche eaters are also finger stylists.......lol

:- [cool] ...

Great! I drive an '84 Mazda so I'm in! If I can exchange the dog for a cat in the first statement' date=' I'm in twice [biggrin

Guth, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed that. I'm listening to it for the second go-round now and will probably play it again after that. Great stuff!

Yes, this is something that I came up with. Buried in the middle of the tune is a lick derived from something I heard Roy Bookbinder play (who knows where he got it from). I don't have any tab for it however.

All the best,

Guth

Archived