Gibson Brands Forums

Zippos?

Silenced Fred

I don't smoke, but zippos are cool. I have one with a Jolly Roger, I bought it at a Gun Show for 5 bucks, brand new.

I have seen a couple of cool ones, an amplifier one, one that says "My name is" and some others.

Anyone have any cool ones? Or seen some?

I am 18, its legal for me to have them...

I've got 30 or 40 lighters. Lots of them Zippos. One 1959 w/RCA logo. One 1970 with Vietnam engravings (ex GI). They're put away in a box somewhere.

If you wanna send 'em my way' date=' I will house them [biggrin

That's really cool though man

So you can say you have an original '59. Around here, people will flip [lol]

I used Zippos for years. That's well before this "yuh gotta be 18" bullpookie.

I quite using them when the disposable butane jobbies came into common availability.

Frankly in this part of the world, I think even the most anti-smoking folks should carry two or three Bic lighters in their vehicles in winter as part of their regular winter kit.

The Zippos even could be run with gasoline, although that did give a nasty smell and such.

But... given the increasing anti-smoking culture and the growth of urban culture where nobody carries a winter kit in their vehicle, I guess it's not surprising the engraved Zippo is kinda an anachronism.

m

I have 8 or 9 from over the last 30-40 years, My favorite one that I carry everyday is this one a Fender anniversary model from 2006. I also swap out the inside with the butane insert that makes the zippo into a modern butane lighter and doesn't ever leak even if you over fill it. The insert's are great and they cost like 12 bucks and fit in any zippo shell and give you the hot torch like butane flame that allows a pipe or a cigar to be lit also.

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Butane insert.

IMG_0011.jpg

yea ive loved zippos since i was a kid, even though im not a big smoker(occasional cigar). this is one i got a couple of years back, definitely one of my favorites.

http://www.zlighters.com/Screaming-Guitar-Lizard-Like-Zippo-Lighter-200-p/20840.htm

got this around a week ago too, very nice matte black over brass exterior visible by the cross cutout design. bought it at a mall kiosk from an asian lady that could barely speak english.

http://www.zippo.com/Products/Spiritual/24721-000001.aspx?RowStart=&ZippoProductNumber=24721-000001&section=Spiritual

i remember buying my cousins old brass zippo that had no flint and wouldnt light at all. i just loved the sound of the click when you opened it. couple years later, i learned you can buy the flints online and learned how to replace em, now its up and working.

I quit carrying a Zippo about 40 years ago. The overfill burn spot on my left thigh went away about 2 weeks ago. [blink]

Oh God, I did that once. Burned like hell. I couldn't figure it out until I took my zippo out and checked that it was overfilled.... stayed there a couple of days.

Where can one get those butane inserts? And how do they get filled?

Everyone should have some access to fire in an emergency just in case of cold or zombies. I bought a black AC/DC zippo to take to the black ice tour, it was hoisted to the best of their music and now sits next to the ticket, I don't smoke, I basically bought it for the concert and any fireworks I might want to set off. I'll post a pic if this topic is still relevant when I get home.

I have a Zippo my kids gave me on Father's day in 2005 that says "Happy Father's Day 2005" with all their names engraved on the other side. I got my wife an Aries (born in April) Zippo with the ram carved in relief on the case. Saw one at a local gas station that looked like a Marshall. I didn't have the coin to buy it.

When I carried a Zippo (or similar) I used Zippo fluid. It seemed to burn a little hotter and cleaner than Ronson.

I used to do the tricks, snapping it open with a flick of the fingers, snapping my fingers and lighting it, then clapping my forearm to shut it. I broke a few doing that so I stopped.

As to burning my leg, I tried to remember to fill it up the night before so the excess would volatize.

Another advantage to the butane...

As I said, having fire in your vehicle winter kit - heck, spring storm kit - is pretty important and there's a lot more shelf life in a quality butane lighter than an old-style Zippo. Heck, even "canned heat" tends to drop dead even if the can't never opened. Candles and variations, butane stove...

m

I love them when they work. There's just something about them. However with my luck, when ever i actually wanted to use it it was f8cked in some way, the flint or wick or whatever. In terms of just lighting up i'd rather have a cricket or a clipper.

Archived