Gibson Brands Forums

So.... guitar decision

Silenced Fred

Not immediate, but here are my two choices for guitars for semihollowbody: Gretsch 6122II and a 335.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G6122II-Chet-Atkins-Country-Gentleman-Electric-Guitar?sku=513139

and an ES-335 (Standard Cherry finish) you all know.

Which one, in your opinion, would you get? Stuff you have heard, played, what?

The 6122II is one beautiful guitar. I've got the 6120 (Nashville with Filtertrons) and a 335. I love them both, but I play the 335 two or three times more. I like the tone and the way it plays a little better. The Gretsch has great tone, but not as versatile.

I had the same dilemma as you and got the Gretsch first. Played it almost exclusively for around two years. Then got the 335, and like I said, play it much more now. I guess it really depends on what tone you're after.

BTW, don't think Gretsch has a forum.

Ooh, tough choice, man.

I say get the Ibanez Xiphos 32 fret guitar. [crying] ;) It'll have you playing brootal death metal licks in no time.

Nah. Well, I've heard the 335 a lot, and it's pretty much a given that it's a great guitar and you'll love it. It's really practically limitless, I think--you can probably even approximate a little bit of the "twang" that the Gretsch would give you. I get a pretty reasonably good "twang" from out of my SG.

The Gretsch is great, but probably not as versatile, what with the Filtertrons and everything. I personally like Filtertrons a lot, I toyed around with some thoughts about throwing them into a Les Paul like what Jan Akkerman did to one of his. I might still do it some day. Sorry about the tangent. I guess the way I feel about the Gretsch is that it can probably do a lot more than what it seems like it can do, so if I were you it would come down to playability and "feel." I don't know much about Gretsch necks, but I can only assume that they're pretty good from the two or three I've played.

Just to throw a wrench in the works: I also like the Hagstrom Viking. Have you considered that model?

It's been a thousand years or so since I had a Gretsch; ain't played one in 20 years. I liked the neck, liked the sound - but I dumped it because it didn't fit somehow with stuff I was playing and folks I was playing with.

I'd do the 335.

My reasoning is that it has a more "standard" set of sounds and you're already used to a Gibbie neck.

I see the 335 as a great generalist that can excell at all kinds of music. I'd be unlikely to get the cherry because I think about anything else is more versatile for stage appearance whether you're playing variations of rock, country, blues or jazz.

The Gretch variations of semi hollow are comfortable and nice pieces. I think I was really dumb to dump mine in the olden days, but I think the reason I let myself do it is that I didn't feel it had enough versatility in sound for what I was doing at the time.

A 335, OTOH, would have worked fine and if I had it back then, 'stedda the Gretch, I'd probably still have it.

Let's put it this way, if somebody gave me $10,000 for guitars, a nice new 175 would be #1, then a prettied-up 335, then likely a Hummingbird. Anything left over I'd likely get an inexpensive bass and bass amp. If they sez, hey, take another grand in a guitar? Yeah, then a Gretsch or the new Epi that's pretty similar.

m

I love both and want both.

I know what a White Stripes fan you are and the Gretsch will get you closer to that sound. I think the filtertrons are some of the coolest sounding pickups ever.

Since you already have a Gibson (even though it's not a 335) I think maybe the Gretsch would be a good choice.

I've been lusting after a nice Gretsch for a while. I love a big semi or full hollowbody but I really want a nice Duo Jet.

Until last year I would have said the 335 no question but over the last year I've bought two Gretsch (Brian Setzer 59 and a Country Gentleman) and there a great guitar very distinctive yet versatile tone. The 335's get very little play anymore I play the Gretsch, a 339, and even a Taylor T5 all more than the 335 now.

I love your green Gretsch retro. Green has always been my favorite color for as long as I can remember.

I really want a dark purple SG. Is that weird? I just picture a flamed mahogany body with a dark purple stain and I think it would be awesome.

Here's the thing though, I envision myself getting a 339 or 335 later. I don't know for sure though, I have to go to a shop, and really play them, but the Gretsch is a little bit ahead.

Dub-T - See, I'm not even going for a huge Jack White sound with it, I just love the way it plays and feels. Going towards a White sound is just a bonus [biggrin] Filtertrons are cool pickups.

I played a 6122JR at this small shop, looked barely even used, and it sounded great. About the size of a 339, and for 1300. I am hoping that when I have the funds, it will still be there. If so, I will definitely get a 335. My main idea is to get the 6122 or the 335, then later, get the opposite G Brand guitar (If I get a 6122, get a 339. If I get a 335, get the 6122JR)

Thanks, I knew a lot of people here would say get the 335, but if some people here go for the Gretsch, it helps support my decision.

A little more insight...

My 6120 is a magnificent guitar. It has the twang that everyone talks about, you know, that great Gretsch sound. But, depending on which pickups are emphasized and how tone controls are set, it also has a piercing sting in the mid and high areas and a very nice punch in the low end. It can have a beautiful, sweet sound played clean. It also seems to respond well to a heavier gauge string. I use 11s on it and my 335.

Where I prefer my 335 is the playability. The Gretsch has a great feel, but the 335 has the best neck I've ever played and handles lower action better. Also, one reason I play the 335 more is because access to the upper frets is much better on the 335 than the Gretsch (or any other guitar I've ever played for that matter). I practice scales a lot and cannot play all 5 shapes easily in the higher register on the 6120. Surprisingly, the Country Gentleman appears to have better access, but it's hard to tell. Bending 11s on the 335 feels like bending 10s on an LP, Gretsch, or Strat. And again, it has a warmer, rounder sound than the Gretsch.

As an aside, the nitro finish on the 335 is nice and I believe it helps open up the tone. The urethane finish on the Gretsch is very shiney and durable, but I believe it kind of boxes up the wood, and it contributes to that characteristic Gretsch sound. The sustain on the 335 is much better than the 6120.

I would also recommend not getting gold hardware. It looks great at first, but it WILL wear off and tarnish.

There is no way you'll come close to approximating the sound of a Gretsch with a 335. My LP Studio on the bridge pickup comes closer to the Gretsch than the 335.

You're gonna be happy with whatever choice you make, I promise. But asking someone that's got both, my preference is for the 335.

The Gretsch Tennessee Rose has been on my Short List for years.

Along with a Guild Starfire 5.

I already have the Starfire 3 hollowbody.

Also a nice Rickenbacker 381-V69

My sister (her husband actually) has a 1965 Gretsch 6120.

When I got my ES 335 8 years ago, it opened up a whole new world for me.

Shoulda got one 15 years sooner.

I couldn't bear to part with mine.

My vote is the same as CM - BOTH!

Whichever one you get first is up to you.

In my opinion, the Gretsch is cool to have but the ES-335 is a Must Have.

Archived