Gibson Brands Forums

my "red-headed stepchild"

dbreslauer

i've seen lots of dislike for this particular model, and I guess that alone made me like it more in a way. I've wanted an SG anyway, so i couldn't resist...

sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

sg3.jpg

sg4.jpg

and, next to the "handsome child": :-

sg5.jpg

it's surprisingly heavy for its size, being solid birch and all. a nice fast neck, but needs some heavier strings. I'm also going to put a seymour duncan pearly gates in the bridge, and I'm thinking about a P90 or similar in the neck.

so far, i like the way it plays, feels very nice.

Cheers,

Don

I guess I made so many stupid swaps in my "youth" (e.g., up to around age 50) that I think the criteria are whether the thing sounds like you want and plays like you want and the rest of the world can go jump in a lake.

You like it? That makes it a wonderful choice!

m

Does that guitar have a wide fretboard or is that just the photo?

It almost looks like the neck in that Buckethead model - or even a classical guitar.

Interesting....

i think it's an optical illusion next to the LP, which has a binding where the SG doesn't. at the 22nd fret they both measure 2 3/8".

the SG Neck is longer, with 24 frets.

Actually, I really like some of the Zoot Suit color schemes. I like that one, the black and orange, and the black and red--the black and natural that you have looks great, IMHO! The ebony board and master volume/tone are also strong selling points for me.

Do you think you could post some sound clips?

Archived