Gibson Brands Forums

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

ShredAstaire

Well, so far, Canadian Circle K's have come into question, Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure has been referenced, and a few derogatory terms for Americans and Canadians have been exchanged, but not in a Harmful Way....I Hope.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am with you. Something strange is going on...

I know it seems different that the lounge can only be viewed by members' date=' but after going through so many questionable post, it was decided that this particular area of the Gibson forum be a bit more behind the scenes. It certainly beats losing the lounge all together.

At this point it's up to you (the members) if the lounge is to survive[cool'] .... good-luck

Duane...

Is there a way to change the "locked up" so that non signed-in folks know it's "members only?"

I understand in general about the concerns, but on the other hand, I'm also concerned that a lotta good general "picker" information has gone into the lounge.

If folks know one has to be a member to get in, it can have a degree of panache to get in to discuss non-hardware but still guitar-technical stuff more than in other areas of the forum.

Also ... is there some subject set that is particularly a problem? Or is it more a matter of tone?

I'm not asking that question to "grill" you, but more a matter of recognition that, as you stated rather bluntly:

"At this point it's up to you (the members) if the lounge is to survive .... good-luck"

m

I hear you Milod, but this is what the powers that be want, and to be honest I'm in agreement with it. We just have certain members that want to use the lounge as their little "look at me" playground. And though KSD and myself are trying our best to snuff out all the questionable threads and post in a timely manner, sometimes they hang out a bit too long before we can get to them.

Basically in a nut shell, we are watching certain members very closely right now.

Duane...

I'd be the last to argue - except I'd still prefer a "members only" note on the forum front so folks would know.

BTW, I never was a good enough sight reader to do hot trumpet rides off the map as you suggested for learning lead guitar. Hadda do it by ear only. That became moot at 20 when I lost my front teeth anyway. <grin>

Somehow once I picked up a guitar, I thought of it as something other than a single-note instrument like the trumpet.

I dunno how to describe that feeling/experience. Even in those days there were plenty of "lead" guitarists. I just never saw the guitar that way beyond the intellectual recognition that some folks play it that way.

I have no idea why my head made that paradigm shift from what I had been doing on trumpet. Ah, the oddities of the human mind even when it comes to playing music.

And that, to me, is exactly the sorta thing the Lounge is there to discuss - even info on flooding at Nashville or "whatta yuh think of this thing I've been wrestling with in technique...

m

"In order to preserve Democracy repressive action has been taken."

[blink]

I've only been here a few months, but I almost get the impression that Gibson's goal is to drive the forum members away. I guess we're only allowed to talk about the PRODUCT and our intended PURCHASES. Everything else is subject to the highhanded censorship of some loser somewhere.

In fact all this BS reminds me of grammar school. I'm too old for that!

Have fun, boys and girls, but don't forget the rules!

[confused]

Duane...

I'd be the last to argue - except I'd still prefer a "members only" note on the forum front so folks would know.

BTW' date=' I never was a good enough sight reader to do hot trumpet rides off the map as you suggested for learning lead guitar. Hadda do it by ear only. That became moot at 20 when I lost my front teeth anyway. <grin>

Somehow once I picked up a guitar, I thought of it as something other than a single-note instrument like the trumpet.

I dunno how to describe that feeling/experience. Even in those days there were plenty of "lead" guitarists. I just never saw the guitar that way beyond the intellectual recognition that some folks play it that way.

I have no idea why my head made that paradigm shift from what I had been doing on trumpet. Ah, the oddities of the human mind even when it comes to playing music.

And that, to me, is exactly the sorta thing the Lounge is there to discuss - even info on flooding at Nashville or "whatta yuh think of this thing I've been wrestling with in technique...

m

[/quote']

Hi Milod,

Ya know, I had a similar experience as a Trumpet Player turned Guitar Player. I started thinking in chords rather than lead lines and bass lines. However I made my shift a couple years earlier so I had some Trumpet Guitar overlap. I was only a so-so trumpet player until I realized the Third Trumpet was basically the root notes in the chord, Second Trumpet was handling the Thirds and Fifths9middle of the chord0, and the First trumpet was playing lead and all the 6th, 7ths, and other color tones. In a year I went from Third Seat to First Seat Trumpet, thanks to the Guitar

Call me a yank and ill shank you...

I would' date=' kindly, suggest you didn't make that offer to anyone who hails from London. In Cockney rhyming slang a 'Lamb-Shank' is something [i']quite[/i] specific.

They may even take you up on your offer and then where would you be?!

Probably a good idea' date=' I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want this place to be the first view for my customers...[/quote']

You nailed it right there. I don't think any more explanation is necessary.#-o

You nailed it right there. I don't think any more explanation is necessary.[biggrin]

Maybe if we all tried to use a little more restraint' date=' and think how we would want our friends / guest to behave in our own homes, I think we will be ok[cool'] ......

FYI.....The term "Yanks" is very offensive to some Americans. I have a good friend who lives in Mississippi. Call him a Yank

and youd better be able to run.

Study your American History to find out why you don't call a Johnny Reb a Yank.

I don't find the term Yank particularly offensive. I do' date=' though, bristle at being called a cracker. [biggrin

I don't think so...we have a hockey team called the Canucks so I don't see how it could be considered derogatory, unless you hate Vancouver....

I work for a Canadian company with MANY US employees and they call me a canuck all the time....you don't wanna know what I call them! [biggrin]

Archived