Gibson Brands Forums

Bedroom rigs

mcmurray

You might try Fender's Princeton Recording amp - It's a Princeton with an attenuator and a headphone jack.

You'd probably still need a pedal for more gain. They're running around $600 USD used. Some onboard effects that are kinda boring but otherwise a very nice little amp.

Jon S.

I just went looking for that amp and discovered it's discontinued? Or am I looking at the wrong model?

Seriously, and I've noted this before, Gibson doesn't seem to promote its amps much and - well, where I live, there's no chance to see one anyway. Haven't seen one in years outside the internet or catalogs - and that's from a guy living at the literal geographic center of the U.S.A.

I did play in a band with a kid who used one but - it was 1962 and in Massachusetts. I'm not kidding at all. But then, when one lives in the American outback, I guess one expects mail order or 400+ mile drives.

?????

BTW, welcome to joining some guitar nuts, some younger and some older, who have a lotta varied experience.

And on a personal note, too I hope you came through the flooding ok...

m

Thanks for the tip, Marie. I don't think I could justify another low wattage Fender amp though but Lord knows I sure don't need a nudge! The Champ is actually great with a good pedal in front of it and the Blues Junior has a master volume which makes it good enough.

This is my bedroom.........got bout 400 watts if needed to fend off reality...............

.......and yes I am a slob that has no wife or kids that can find me ....look that half stack rig is holding up my bed.

Guitaretc019-1.jpg

In regards to the original post have you tried any of the new fractional small amps being made now you can get them as small as 1/4 watt and then you can push the amp at low even sleeping family member volume. I love the small amps standard tube tone without any of the pain or ringing of the ears. I wish these small amps would have been around 20+ years ago and then the first word out of my mouth when anyone alks to me wouldn't be What? or Excuse Me Can You Repeat That? like it is now.

fractionalamps.jpg

Hi Milod-

Thanks for the welcome! It's good to be here!

Unfortunately, the GA-15RV was indeed disco'd(around 2004 I believe). I've had my eye out for one the last couple of years, and finally found one a few months back. Great clean tone, and possibly the LOUDEST 15 Watter i've heard!

Another amp i'm liking quite a bit is the Blues Custom 30. It has a 30W/15W switch that can be helpful in getting good tube breakup at a descent level in smaller rooms.

McMurray,

I'm also located in Perth WA.

I have Marshall Amp & Speakers.

Marshall.jpg

Your welcome to pug in ya guitar and test it out on this gear, if it will help you decide on what to get.

When its late at night - i just use headphones like every one else.

Just let me know if you want to test it out. (North of the river - Morley).

Cheers!

Ok guys I've just pulled the trigger on one of these: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/RectoPreAmps/RectoPreAmp.html

Hopefully it will be the answer to my requirements and my search for tone! It's got to be better than my Line 6 POD X3 which is just a toy really.

Should have it by next week, full review and clips incoming.

Ok guys I've just pulled the trigger on one of these: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/RectoPreAmps/RectoPreAmp.html

Hopefully it will be the answer to my requirements and my search for tone! It's got to be better than my Line 6 POD X3 which is just a toy really.

Should have it by next week' date=' full review and clips incoming.[/quote']

Looks a bit overkill for a bedroom rig... Do you do lots of recording? How much do they run for? So it's a Tube/solid state hybrid?

I plan on doing heaps of recording Dave. I was after something decent as the Pod X3 just turned me off every time I plugged into it. If this preamp is any good I'll be keeping it forever.

100% tube, the only solid state components are the rectifier diodes ;)

Got a great deal on it too, nearly 1/3 of the retail price in Australia. Retail here is $3200 at least, I picked it up on ebay for $1200 (mint condition). My Pod X3 cost $900 new for reference.

I've seen isolation boxes used in studios, so I made a compact version. I plugged this -

IMG_340105-26-2010.jpg

Into this -

IMG_341005-26-2010.jpg

Inside are 2 mics (one aimed at the centre of the cone, the other midway). There are designs around the web, but I wanted to try a couple of ideas of my own. It's an experiment - I didn't have high hopes.

It sounds like a Blues Junior cranked up, but very little sound leaks out. I decided to change the design to give more bass (and maybe more of a Marshall sound), and just finished soldering it - will try later.

how about a Blackstar HT-5' date=' 5 watt combo made by former Marshall employees, its around $399.00 shipped for a new one and the sounds and reviews Im hearing off youtube are pretty amazing !! Thinking about one myself,, however they have a Studio 20 that looks kick *** !!

Blackstar ht-5

here is a demo of the Studio 20

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

the smoking HT 40

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

The HT-5H is great for low volume practice, and even recording........

The gain goes from Classic rock to Metallica type tones, and the clean channel breaks up nicely as you spin the knob.

GarysCam104.jpg

Archived